Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Houses Vs America Houses

British Houses Vs America Houses

Old Aug 8th 2012, 4:58 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Houses Vs America Houses

Originally Posted by Holliver
Give me a hint when you find out, it might help me work out mine.
I think I'm going to have to plug something that lights up and/or makes a noise into every plug socket in the house and see what happens. All I know is the extra switch in our bedroom controls the ceiling fan and in the two kids bedrooms it controls a socket. In the hallway, who knows?

Also, for some reason when I turn the living room ceiling fan off using the wee dial thingy that can set the speed and that, it turns the outside security light on
Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I think I'm going to have to plug something that lights up and/or makes a noise into every plug socket in the house and see what happens. All I know is the extra switch in our bedroom controls the ceiling fan and in the two kids bedrooms it controls a socket. In the hallway, who knows?

Also, for some reason when I turn the living room ceiling fan off using the wee dial thingy that can set the speed and that, it turns the outside security light on
We've got three switches by the front door - one for the hall light, one for a lamp in the corner (stupid) and one for .......??? Just remembered - hubs thinks it may be for a ceiling fan - which doesn't exist
Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:17 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on where you're looking because California Homes are so different to homes, lets say, in Boston.

Anyway my biggies would be:

homes are very differently styled on the inside in the UK, even if they look the same on the outside.
In the UK we change kitchen styles, wall paper, paint, carpet.

kitchens are very generic in the US.

The size of fridges.
Standard to have the washer in the kitchen
Voltage!!!
Construction methods and different building regulations.

Selling / buying in the uk is so different. our real estate agents only advertise, show the home & negotiate for a much smaller % than the US. All of our legal work is done by a solicitor, one for each party (buyer and seller).
No MLS listings. only the listed agent can show the home.

We don't have as much land, so our homes are traditionally smaller, and until more recently don't have en suite bathrooms unless converted.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:18 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

We've got three switches by the front door - one for the hall light, one for a lamp in the corner (stupid) and one for .......??? Just remembered - hubs thinks it may be for a ceiling fan - which doesn't exist
It could be wired for one, to be installed at a later date, with the switch already in place for it.

That doesn't make sense in my case because it is in a hallway that is less than six feet wide and maybe sixteen feet long
Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:28 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

It could be wired for one, to be installed at a later date, with the switch already in place for it.

That doesn't make sense in my case because it is in a hallway that is less than six feet wide and maybe sixteen feet long
You guys are making me laugh. We had a mystery switch in our en suite. We've lived here for 4 years almost to the the day.
In our bathroom we have an open ceiling effect shelf thingy. Last week we found there was a double socket up there for lighting!
A quick trip to the storage loft and now i have a rope light plugged into it and hidden away and some nice mood lighting.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Tiled kitchen Worktops - at least around here anyway. Probably 95% of the homes I was browsing on Trulia had them. Got one now in our rented house and hate it. Give me a smooth work surface I can clean with a cloth rather than a toothbrush anyday.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Tiled kitchen Worktops - at least around here anyway. Probably 95% of the homes I was browsing on Trulia had them. Got one now in our rented house and hate it. Give me a smooth work surface I can clean with a cloth rather than a toothbrush anyday.
Argh...I hate the thought of them. Impossible to clean them properly...the grout must be a breading ground for germs/bacteria.

On the subject of mystery light switches in the hall...we have one. Also have a mystery light switch by the garage door. Both are 3 light switches...no idea what the 3rd is for.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 2:41 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a mystery switch in my house. Even the rental people don't know what it's for. So silly.
I quite like it - one day I'll find out what it is. Gives me something to look forward to!
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
On the subject of mystery light switches in the hall...we have one. Also have a mystery light switch by the garage door. Both are 3 light switches...no idea what the 3rd is for.
Our rented house has one (wall switch) by the front door. The landlord said it was not connected to anything. When that part of the house was renovated, rewiring of the foyer meant it's a left-over switch that controls nothing.

Everyone that visits us gets confused by it at some point & tells us that a bulb must have burned out.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Our rented house has one (wall switch) by the front door. The landlord said it was not connected to anything. When that part of the house was renovated, rewiring of the foyer meant it's a left-over switch that controls nothing.

Everyone that visits us gets confused by it at some point & tells us that a bulb must have burned out.
You want to wire it up to do something obscure like flushing a nearby toilet.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you guys - I too have a mystery 3rd switch by my front door which I have been puzzling over ever since I moved in. Now I know it's common I can stop puzzling!
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking on the internet at houses in the SE WI area as we might be looking at a job move. Boohoo. None of the houses seem to have a fence of any sort on the property lines. We need a 5-6 ft fence to keep our dogs in the yard. I don't want to have to get electric fence/shock collars for them. It doesn't stop other dogs or neighbor kids coming into or running across the yard. Is it an HOA or subdivision thing or just a regional thing?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Sandra1 will become famous soon enough

One of the most obvious ones is that US houses/apt bedrooms & halls have closets, while UK do not!
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:55 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra1
One of the most obvious ones is that US houses/apt bedrooms & halls have closets, while UK do not!
? Don't most UK houses have a clock room in the hall? Though few US houses have a hall.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Our old apartment had a mystery switch in the hall way.

Found out what it did...it switched the pump off to the oil tank in the basement, which kills the heating.

Stupidly, there's a big red emergency heat cut off switch by the door to the basement that is supposed to do that :/
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:22 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by joto
I've been looking on the internet at houses in the SE WI area as we might be looking at a job move. Boohoo. None of the houses seem to have a fence of any sort on the property lines. We need a 5-6 ft fence to keep our dogs in the yard. I don't want to have to get electric fence/shock collars for them. It doesn't stop other dogs or neighbor kids coming into or running across the yard. Is it an HOA or subdivision thing or just a regional thing?
Regional, maybe? I'm just over the border in NE IL and hardly any of the houses seem to have fenced in gardens here either.

Therefore the neighbour's twat of a dog shits in ours whenever it wants. Little bastard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.