Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Houses Vs America Houses

Wikiposts

British Houses Vs America Houses

Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:01 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Houses Vs America Houses

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I do think that radiators are the norm in the majority of British homes?
Both the houses I lived in, and the one my mum just moved to had radiators, as did all the houses of my mates and relatives as far as I remember. We had coal-fired central heating in the first house and oil-fired in the other two (though the second house did have a fireplace as well).

I don't think it ever got hot enough in the entire time I lived there to make me think "bloody hell, I wish I had air conditioning". That's one benefit of the northern UK
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:05 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: British Houses Vs America Houses

Just remembered: the HGTV show "Selling London" is on tonight (Thursdays during the Summer) - showing off all the incredibly expensive homes for the very wealthy.

They showed one of the houses last night on "Extra" (or the show which follows it) and it's on the market for $161 million!!!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:18 am
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2.0
For once I feel like and expert, rather then the one looking for advice....

Having various properties, and just sold my last UK property, I can inform you there do indeed appear to me many differences!
I've heard that properties in the US have central heating, we do occasionally have central heating but that's down to me not getting the chimney sweeper in, but on those occasions the house is very warm throughout so can see the appeal.
Agree with another poster we do indeed dry our clothes on the washing line (in our last property we went posh and didn't have to share the line with the neighbours) although I am not sure on the alternative to line drying, perhaps I could get the wife to turn the handle on the mangle faster thus generating heat at the same time, is that what's done in America?
I am not sure about the issue with multiple switches near the entrance of a room, here one switch turns the central room light on/off along with the attached iron, radio and laptop power supply, the dangling wires can be an issue.
There is mention of cavernous fridges in the America, can't imagine what all the space is used for, ours has more than enough room for the pint of gold top delivered by the milkman each morning and the freezer box is the perfect size for the oblong block of Wall's to make ice cream sandwiches.
Oh yes you also have a feeble 110V electrical supply, how on earth do you get the water boiled in time for decent cuppa?

Steve
Heck even I don't understand why a family of 4 needs a 500 sf refrigerator. And they're always full to the brim!

The central heat, it does come in handy when it hits -15 f The gas radiators in all the old fireplaces in my grandmothers house in the Headlands were very comfortable though, it's nice to have a point source when you're chilled.

I like the idea of a milkman. And a few have mentioned a clothesline, it drives me nuts, about the best thing you can do to save energy is a line vs a clothes dryer and Americans just won't do it.

When I drink an occasional cup of tea I boil it on the stovetop, but it sure takes longer than those electric pots you folks use!

Multiple switches are used to either confuse homeowners, or to slow them down and have less heart attacks

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Hmmm, my mother's house is less than 2 years old in a new development, and every home has their own mailbox located at the end of the driveway. I've only seen what you are describing in apartment/condo complexes. Personally, I'd refuse to buy a home that subscribed to such a setup. I'm not spending hundreds of $$ on a home, and then not have mail delivered to my home, esp as I buy online very frequently. I'm not going to post office everyday (esp when they are now closing at like 4pm) to pick up overlarge packages.
I agree, I hate them. It was a couple years ago I read that so maybe there was a popular outcry.

Pete
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:25 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you plug in too many appliances the lights dim.
that's so you know you are overloading the circuit, it's an undocumented safety feature
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:26 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
I'm not spending hundreds of $$ on a home, and then not have mail delivered to my home, esp as I buy online very frequently. I'm not going to post office everyday (esp when they are now closing at like 4pm) to pick up overlarge packages.
In my very rural area it just isn't feasible for the mailman to come to every house in some places, so the mailboxes are grouped together; on other roads they are at the end of each driveway. But he does drive to the house when I have a package and get out to put it on my porch.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:28 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I should have paid more attention to the post warning about regional variation.

I am in the PNW
That took so getting used to out here in in the wild west. In fact still seems strange the front door opening into a room. But the posher houses do tend to have vestibules.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:28 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
In my very rural area it just isn't feasible for the mailman to come to every house in some places, so the mailboxes are grouped together; on other roads they are at the end of each driveway. But he does drive to the house when I have a package and get out to put it on my porch.
Our postman hides them behind the wheelie bin for us, by the garage. That's very handy as our post office hours are 8:30 - 4:30, and my work hours are 8:30 to 5:00
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:33 am

Garage doors have electronic openers, in the UK you have to get out the car in the rain and open them yourself.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:35 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Garage doors have electronic openers, in the UK you have to get out the car in the rain and open them yourself.
My sister has an electronic opener in Yorkshire, no getting out of the car for her!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:36 am
I have a comma problem

Yeah, and then the garage door gets all cock-eyed because one of the cables that pulls it open gets longer at one end than the other ...
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My sister has an electronic opener in Yorkshire, no getting out of the car for her!
We had an electronic garage door in the UK in the 80's.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:40 am

a posh person from Yorkshire then

In a nonscientific survey, I would say more people have electric garage door openers than don't in the US, and vice versa in the UK. I really have no idea it is just an assumption which BE posters will probably shoot down in flames.

Last edited by lansbury; Jul 26th 2012 at 9:43 am.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:42 am
I have a comma problem

a posh person from Yorkshire then

In an nonscientific survey, I would say more people have electric garage door openers than don't in the US, and vice versa in the UK. I really have no idea it is just an assumption which BE posters will probably shoot down in flames.
I have an electronic garage door opener in the US; I did not have one in the UK. That's more evidence than an average FOX news assertion so I'd say point proven
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:45 am
Deep in the woods of CT

In a nonscientific survey, I would say more people have electric garage door openers than don't in the US, and vice versa in the UK. I really have no idea it is just an assumption which BE posters will probably shoot down in flames.
I'm in my fourth US house, and it's the first one that has had a garage opener; it is such a PIA when the power goes out. Get the fire extinguisher!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I have an electronic garage door opener in the US; I did not have one in the UK. That's more evidence than an average FOX news assertion so I'd say point proven
That's two of us then, what more proof is needed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.