Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the world

Wikiposts

British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the world

Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the worl

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, I did....bit of a long drawn out process though, and some points could be made a bit clearer, especially the bit about the one year if your living here permanently, well better still, to not be able to put in a date longer than a year, because I did that by accident the first time around and then had to redo the whole thing because it came up with an error - not being allowed to register for longer than a year, so why get the option
Bob,

Thanks. I've received a few comments like that. We'll tweak some of the instructions we give to expats to make it a little clearer.

Dean
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the worl

Originally Posted by British Consul

I'll still encourage people to register though. Personally, I think it's a good idea, but it's entirely a personal decision whether you register or not.......

Dean
BTW when you hit the FAQ link on the top menu of the register page, it happily tells you they've all been archived! Not professional! Perhaps you could tell the tech people? (P.S Don't contract it out to Internet Brands -- they couldn't run a proverbial in a proverbial.)
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the worl

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
I was going to but reading some of the replies I think some of us would like assurances of who exactly has access to the info, who stores it, will it be used for tax etc type snooping? And I don't think you have replied to peoples fear?
Maybe you don't know and that's fair enough
I know you are just trying to help.

Maybe there is some govt feedback there that you can give our concerns to, and it may be listened to coming from you.
To be honest, very few people will have access to your data. If you provide us with enough information, the system (which is based on a secure server in the UK) will determine which Embassy or Consulate will manage your record. Only staff at that location (plus staff at our crisis centre in London) will have access your data, and, in many cases they will only do so when they absolutely need to. For example, if a disaster strikes a particular area, our staff will ask the system for a list of registered Brits in the affected area.

In Canada and the USA, if you don't provide enough information for our system to automatically allocate your details to a consulate, then my team in Orlando will manage the details. We will determine from the information you have provided whether there is enough information for us to allocate it to the appropriate consulate or manage it from Orlando. The data you provide is only used for crisis purposes. We don't share the information with anyone else, except in an emergency when we may have to share it with other authorities (for example with the Ministry of Defence, if we were organising an evacuation etc - but most unlikely). If your record is managed in Orlando (but you are in New Mexico and haven't told us so) you will get messages from me intended for a Florida audience (for example hurricane warnings etc). There is more information about the system at www.britainusa.com/orlando.

Hope this answers your questions?

Dean
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bob,

Thanks. I've received a few comments like that. We'll tweak some of the instructions we give to expats to make it a little clearer.

Dean
Thanks, that would make it a lot easier and probably encourage more people to bother as I'm sure a lot probably put in a random date longer than a year and couldn't be bothered to re-do the whole thing after getting the error...I had a bit of spare time on my hands though
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Thanks, that would make it a lot easier and probably encourage more people to bother as I'm sure a lot probably put in a random date longer than a year and couldn't be bothered to re-do the whole thing after getting the error...I had a bit of spare time on my hands though
The invoice from the Inland Revenue will be with you in 2 to 3 weeks Bob.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:46 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, very few people will have access to your data. If you provide us with enough information, the system (which is based on a secure server in the UK) will determine which Embassy or Consulate will manage your record. Only staff at that location (plus staff at our crisis centre in London) will have access your data, and, in many cases they will only do so when they absolutely need to. For example, if a disaster strikes a particular area, our staff will ask the system for a list of registered Brits in the affected area.

In Canada and the USA, if you don't provide enough information for our system to automatically allocate your details to a consulate, then my team in Orlando will manage the details. We will determine from the information you have provided whether there is enough information for us to allocate it to the appropriate consulate or manage it from Orlando. The data you provide is only used for crisis purposes. We don't share the information with anyone else, except in an emergency when we may have to share it with other authorities (for example with the Ministry of Defence, if we were organising an evacuation etc - but most unlikely). If your record is managed in Orlando (but you are in New Mexico and haven't told us so) you will get messages from me intended for a Florida audience (for example hurricane warnings etc). There is more information about the system at www.britainusa.com/orlando.

Hope this answers your questions?

Dean
Thank you it does.

It does sound good knowing if there is an emergency then you know I'm here for an easy evacuation etc. Just glad to know that the govt and all its agencies won't have it and it won't be used for any other purpose than that.

I suppose in the light of homeland security etc here and intrusiveness into peoples private data/lives, I thought this could be used in the same way by the UK govt.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
The invoice from the Inland Revenue will be with you in 2 to 3 weeks Bob.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:53 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Just to play devil's advocate, here are some people who might like to use your information for various reasons. Will you give them access?

a) a relative of a UK citizen? -- Johnny boy hasn't phoned home for 6 months
b) a UK creditor of a UK citizen? Jane didn't pay her student loans and we think she's hiding in the US
c) a UK governmental agency? Johnny boy's wanted for tax fraud.
d) a US governmental agency? Paranoia knows no bounds so I'll leave you to find an example here.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:57 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Just to play devil's advocate, here are some people who might like to use your information for various reasons. Will you give them access?

a) a relative of a UK citizen? -- Johnny boy hasn't phoned home for 6 months
b) a UK creditor of a UK citizen? Jane didn't pay her student loans and we think she's hiding in the US
c) a UK governmental agency? Johnny boy's wanted for tax fraud.
d) a US governmental agency? Paranoia knows no bounds so I'll leave you to find an example here.
Thats what I was thinking (but you put it better) - he says they won't.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:58 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
Thats what I was thinking (but you put it better) - he says they won't.
He skirts around it a bit. You have to tease it out of him.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
He skirts around it a bit. You have to tease it out of him.
well you are the right poster for the job then
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough

It's managed by my team in Orlando. Surely you trust me?
It's your bosses who are the problem

Anyway = when last did the Brits send a even a Gunboat to protect it's Citezans having been bashed up ? They can't in the UK - so what hope is there abroad....It was a matter of pride at one time to have such a Power protecting us - that died many years ago: actually once Maggie left
Old Jun 11th 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
I registered a user name to see what the fuss was about...you don't plonk in any info at that stage, so I don't see a problem with it.

You can update the details to say if your on holiday at some place or permanent and then asked to update it annually...
I think they know where I am I have that expensive chip in my passport with all the info they need in it
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:55 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I'm British only by passport!
Yet you spent free time posting on Britishexpats and not Dutchexpats
Old Jun 11th 2008, 3:58 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'll sign up to this so that if I am ever in the UK and need to use the NHS I can be denied as being a non UK resident. Anyone that signs up to this is a muppet. When have the government asked you to do something that you actually benefitted from.

**** 'em.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.