Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the world

Wikiposts

British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the world

Old May 18th 2008, 8:17 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the worl

Originally Posted by meauxna
Why do you suppose that the Australia, New Zealand other country forums here are mostly positive reports about their new lives where annoyances are part of the adventure instead of an indictment on the character of the country and ALL its citizens, as happens with the US forums?
I spend time now again reading the part of this board for Brits Moving Back To The UK. That seems to be far more populated by people from OZ and NZ then Brits in the USA. If that forum is in any way representative more Brits moving to OZ and NZ dislike what they find there than do Brits moving to the USA.

One big difference of course is it tends to be whole UK families going to OZ and NZ while it is I guess mostly marriage related to the USA.
Old May 18th 2008, 8:32 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the worl

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Ha ha..........shouldn't answer your "mum" back, you naughty girl

Sorry you're feeling poorly. Hope it clears soon
OH help have I made it worse!
I will take due punishment

Thanks
Old May 18th 2008, 8:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you suppose that the Australia, New Zealand other country forums here are mostly positive reports about their new lives where annoyances are part of the adventure instead of an indictment on the character of the country and ALL its citizens, as happens with the US forums?

I find the Brits posting in the US area are much more critical and negative about things here than the Brits who have expatriated to other parts of the world.

The people who do post positively about the US experience are often argued with to the point that someone new might not post their positive US experience. It all seems to feed itself.
Most brits in those countries go with Brit families rather than marry a local, that makes a massive difference...
Old May 18th 2008, 9:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Why should the state be in the business of raising money for charities? They should stick to what is necessary, what other people can't do, and what they're good at.

If you're that beaten up about not being able to get a poppy, why not order a box of them next year and distribute them to other US-based punters that want one?
Fair enough...but the thing is, some consulates did offer poppies whilst others didn't, and it would be nice if they did it even handedly.
Old May 18th 2008, 1:28 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

I find the Brits posting in the US area are much more critical and negative about things here than the Brits who have expatriated to other parts of the world.
The people who do post positively about the US experience are often argued with to the point that someone new might not post their positive US experience. It all seems to feed itself.
It may be because Australia and New Zealand still have something of a cultural association with England? I'm assuming and guessing here as I've never had the opportunity to visit either place but do read the forums with interest.

The US is basically a foreign country with zero cultural ties to England other than the fact that we can communicate due to a common language.

Speaking personally, I have very rarely found anything here in common with my home country.
Even the shared history before 1776 is largely ignored.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:03 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
The US is basically a foreign country with zero cultural ties to England other than the fact that we can communicate due to a common language.
It doesn't have many ties to England, but it has plenty in common with England. It's hardly Korea!
Old May 18th 2008, 2:06 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
It doesn't have many ties to England, but it has plenty in common with England. It's hardly Korea!
No argument there.
But you'd never know it.
Old May 24th 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Government getting short of Brits at home or is it going to go for reinforced repatriation in the future.Or they want to know where you are so they can tax you AGAIN for NOT being in the country. Am I being cynical over this idea !
ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON !!
Do you know they freeze your State Pension - unless you move to the EEC - and no doubt you know that "everyone and it's Aunty" is subsidised hand over fist when entering the UK (including their children who stayed in the EEC) >>> (fiddling of state benefits is rife by those than can) >>> but if you are a UK Taxpayer (even non-resident) they will screw you for everything even after you die..... suffice to say despite some drawbacks of "getting out from under" many Brits are choosing to flee - particularly once retired. I'm beginning to rant :curse: .... better finish.... and await all the vitriol from the chattering classes and lefty heidbangers (to name but a few)
Old Jun 10th 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the worl

So, did anyone register? Just wondered.

Dean
Old Jun 10th 2008, 1:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Consul

Dean
Nope, sorry! Just don't trust the mothers, I'm afraid.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Nope, sorry! Just don't trust the mothers, I'm afraid.
It's managed by my team in Orlando. Surely you trust me?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:00 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You're a nice guy, Dean, and you have truly been doing some groundbreaking work. [For those who don't know, Dean has been active on some other expat forums for some time now and has been invaluable to some of the members.]

But your bosses are a bunch of untrustworthy wankers and I wouldn't give them the time of day.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Dean
yeah, I did....bit of a long drawn out process though, and some points could be made a bit clearer, especially the bit about the one year if your living here permanently, well better still, to not be able to put in a date longer than a year, because I did that by accident the first time around and then had to redo the whole thing because it came up with an error - not being allowed to register for longer than a year, so why get the option
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:09 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to but reading some of the replies I think some of us would like assurances of who exactly has access to the info, who stores it, will it be used for tax etc type snooping? And I don't think you have replied to peoples fear?
Maybe you don't know and that's fair enough
I know you are just trying to help.

Maybe there is some govt feedback there that you can give our concerns to, and it may be listened to coming from you.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arrow Re: British government launches on-line registration system for Brits around the worl

Originally Posted by fatbrit

But your bosses are a bunch of untrustworthy wankers and I wouldn't give them the time of day.

I'll still encourage people to register though. Personally, I think it's a good idea, but it's entirely a personal decision whether you register or not.......

Dean

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.