Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British female hoping to move to Minneapolis or perhaps Boston, MA

British female hoping to move to Minneapolis or perhaps Boston, MA

Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:32 pm
sophiahochee

Default British female hoping to move to Minneapolis or perhaps Boston, MA

Does anyone have any ideas on how a person such as myself would go about doing that? Any jobs or institutes people know of that don't mind employing foreign people?

I'd like to find a job out there. I studied Music and Arts Management, so was kind of interested in Minneapolis Institute of the Arts or working in the music business and I realise they both have quite the artsy scene.

Any ideas? I'm completely lost.

Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British female hoping to move to Minneapolis or perhaps Boston, MA

Originally Posted by sophiahochee
Does anyone have any ideas on how a person such as myself would go about doing that? Any jobs or institutes people know of that don't mind employing foreign people?

I'd like to find a job out there. I studied Music and Arts Management, so was kind of interested in Minneapolis Institute of the Arts or working in the music business and I realise they both have quite the artsy scene.

Any ideas? I'm completely lost.
Don't look for jobs, look for visas! Sounding like a J-something to me. But, unfortunately, it's not permanent. Don't look at areas, either. You're cutting down your already slim chances.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:53 pm
sophiahochee

So I should get the visa and then go out there and try to look for a job? And if a job likes me they may employ me on a longer term basis? Is that how it works?

Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

So I should get the visa and then go out there and try to look for a job? And if a job likes me they may employ me on a longer term basis? Is that how it works?
No - first you need to research which visa you might potentially qualify for.

Check Pulaski's Ways in the WIKI
Old Jun 30th 2007, 12:36 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think people are suggesting you look at the visas first to get an idea of how difficult it really is to come over here. I know it might sound flippant, but you really have a better chance just marrying an American than getting some of those visas. Things are pretty tight in the post 9-11 world.

But, as negative as that sounds, if you are really interested, start at the Wiki and look through the Visa section, and then narrow down some ideas for what you could do and who might be hiring. It may take awhile, but if you are determined you can probably find a way.

Good luck.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 5:36 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I blame Eastenders.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I blame Eastenders.
Oh Don't ! ...... I really miss Eastenders ...... mind you ! Holyoaks is on now, not as good though
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'd look at one of the exchange programs if I were you to get your feet on the ground. Finding a path to live here permanently is not easy, as you will discover as you start to do your research.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 3:14 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

If you get here..I love Boston...I give it a
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:24 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Oh Don't ! ...... I really miss Eastenders ...... mind you ! Holyoaks is on now, not as good though
God I wish there was a "Slap the forehead in despair" smiley.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:14 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Holyoaks is on now, not as good though
Is that the religious version?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

ScottD is an unknown quantity at this point

visa visa visa , work is not hard to get if you have the visa and the qualifications.