Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British expat relocating from Dubai to Houston,Texas

British expat relocating from Dubai to Houston,Texas

Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expat relocating from Dubai to Houston,Texas

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
New Hampshire (of all places!) is voting on Thursday to ban using a mobile phone whilst driving. I really hope it passes.
But know the police won't do anything to enforce a ban, .... don't you?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:56 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But know the police won't do anything to enforce a ban, .... don't you?
Like I said earlier, the cops round here don't seem to bother policing anything other than the odd speeding infraction. So, yes, unfortunately I realise nothing will change.

It's interesting isn't it, the UK has gone *way* over the top in the pursuit of the motorist (I feel I can't drive round the M25 without fearing a ticket for some infraction!) yet in the US they're so far the other way. Where is the happy medium?
Old Apr 1st 2014, 12:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Like I said earlier, the cops round here don't seem to bother policing anything other than the odd speeding infraction. So, yes, unfortunately I realise nothing will change. ....
As per my earlier observation about police in the US, it will be added to the proverbial "book" that gets thrown at motorists after they have caused serious, often fatal, accidents.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 12:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DubaiCat
I found ur reply most helpful and given ur expat history and experience in Houston, the most relevant. I'm going to contact Houston State Police myself re gun control... Might just get a clearer picture other than replies posted! Thank you!
I have been here 25 years. I live more out in the boonies but can be in Houston in 35 to 40 minutes. We do not own a gun, have no need to. We have friends with guns but mostly for hunting not for day to day use.

Both my kids went to the University of Houston, so lived downtown. They also never had any problems with guns, drive bys etc. You soon know where to go and where to avoid which is the same anywhere.

I like living in Texas, most Texans are friendly helpful folk. They are proud of their state and are also welcoming to outsiders. Do not dwell on the gun thing, it is here, it is part of the culture but it doesn't have to effect you. You could enjoy life here, as people have mentioned there are a lot of things you can be involved in.

At the end of the day though, you are the only one that can decide if it is the life you want. Good luck