Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British expat radio in Orlando area. Yes or no?

British expat radio in Orlando area. Yes or no?

Old May 14th 2007, 2:01 am
Just Joined

peterhayes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British expat radio in Orlando area. Yes or no?

Hi everyone,

After working in the radio industry here in the UK for a while now, I've been looking closely at the possibility of making my dream a reality and launching a British expat radio station in the Orlando/Kissimmee area.

The station (should the plan be a success) would musically be hanging somewhere between Magic 107.7 in Central Florida and Radio 2 in the UK, but with British news, interests, views and opinions being the main focus of the station.

I've spoken to people on the opposite side of the pond about licences for AM radio and Internet broadcasting and everything which goes with it, and it'd involve a heck of a lot of blood, sweat and tears, but it might just be possible.

So, what I'm here for today is to ask you, the British expats in Central Florida... Do you think a station like this would benefit you and would you listen to it?

Any feedback or questions would be great.

Take care everyone!
Old May 14th 2007, 2:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expat radio in Orlando area. Yes or no?

Originally Posted by peterhayes
Hi everyone,

After working in the radio industry here in the UK for a while now, I've been looking closely at the possibility of making my dream a reality and launching a British expat radio station in the Orlando/Kissimmee area.

The station (should the plan be a success) would musically be hanging somewhere between Magic 107.7 in Central Florida and Radio 2 in the UK, but with British news, interests, views and opinions being the main focus of the station.

I've spoken to people on the opposite side of the pond about licences for AM radio and Internet broadcasting and everything which goes with it, and it'd involve a heck of a lot of blood, sweat and tears, but it might just be possible.

So, what I'm here for today is to ask you, the British expats in Central Florida... Do you think a station like this would benefit you and would you listen to it?

Take care everyone!
Hang on a sec........Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay .
Old May 14th 2007, 2:05 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be a blast. I used to work in radio a little up in Manistee MI and people liked it the odd time I got on the air.

and then there was the famous burping night in BE History.
Old May 14th 2007, 4:31 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hang on a sec........Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay .
Radio ...not often listened to by myself ...

Certainly no idea about Orlando ....
It may pay to ask the question on Florida forums ...
But good luck dealing with the FCC ...and possible going up
against Clear Channel Communications..
Old May 14th 2007, 12:14 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to K-VISA the only ex-pat radio station that'll get you into the states.
Old May 14th 2007, 1:08 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why not..if you want a few links to forums of people living in the area...just PM me...
Old May 14th 2007, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
Radio ...not often listened to by myself ...

Certainly no idea about Orlando ....
It may pay to ask the question on Florida forums ...
But good luck dealing with the FCC ...and possible going up
against Clear Channel Communications..
Isn't there a law against radio/tv stations not being owned by non-USC's? Or am I dreaming here?
Old May 14th 2007, 1:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Isn't there a law against radio/tv stations not being owned by non-USC's? Or am I dreaming here?
I thought that ..but could not find anything ....
but trawling thru the FCC site is not fun ...
Old May 14th 2007, 2:44 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0052/t.5484.html

Not sure if that will be any help if you have to be an American to own one...maybe you'll have to find a Brit now USC and do a partnership...it looks costly...
Old May 14th 2007, 2:50 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

WIth the new WIFI coming and being competitive, I give it < 2 years befiore you'll be able to get standard "Internet" radio (and most UK stations) in your car.

On my PDA, I get them all now and I have bluetooth from my PDA to my cars sound system.

However, ANY good radio station would be well received.

Might it not be cheaper to go satellite ?
Old May 14th 2007, 3:18 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

But would he get a visa for that...?
Old May 14th 2007, 4:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
But would he get a visa for that...?
not without a bucket load of cash to invest...
Old May 14th 2007, 8:57 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Maybe he could bring over The Archers...........
Old May 14th 2007, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

carolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: British expat radio in Orlando area. Yes or no?

Hi everyone,

Take care everyone!
I don't think we would hear it here, but if the signal was powerful enough to reach this area I am sure my husband would listen in.
Old May 15th 2007, 10:29 am
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

Hi everyone,

Take care everyone!
it would fail miserably. you have clearly not looked into orlandos demographics. a spanish language radio station would be a better idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.