Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British culture in LA?

Wikiposts

British culture in LA?

Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:13 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British culture in LA?

Originally Posted by Britarm
As the heading of this Thread is British Culture in LA., I must make my comment, I tend to agree with Dant3, I'm familiar with your 'neck of the woods', it is one of the more civilized spots of Los Angeles, I love going to the Huntington Gallery and having a 'peep' at Gainsborough and other Master's of the Art's, I never get tired of viewing 'Blue Boy' and 'Pinkie', then having tea in the Garden. I prefer Huntington Gardens, more so, than the Getty in Brentwood, more laid back.
I am a season member of 'Pasadena Playhouse', (I know So.Pasadena is seperate to Pasadena). I mention this yawny stuff as when ex Brits complain they can't find other Brits (not ref. to you) they do not know how to mingle. Brits I encountered in Pubs were always whining and moaning about the job, the country, money or the wife, when I suggested they go back, they always said their sig.other had a good job here, so I surmised, the 'other' was paying for the booze.
What a sweeping generalisation and it is incorrect. I've encountered all sorts of Brits in LA pubs over the years, from the football shirt wearing, ex-council estate, working class construction workers, nannies working for the rich and famous to nurses, computer programmers and British airways pilots ( some of whom were so pissed it made me think twice about getting on a BA flight ) and everything in-between. I've met Brits who love it here to one guy who committed suicide by throwing himself off a beach front high-rise - but I suspect he had other issues.
No doubt there are lots of other cultural things to do in LA from the beach, skiing, the Getty, LACMA, Hollywood Bowl ( July- Sept), Shakespeare plays at the Will Geer theater in Topanga, LA Philharmonic however the OP's original question was about meeting Brits in LA.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 5:30 am
Just Joined

snoble is a jewel in the roughsnoble is a jewel in the roughsnoble is a jewel in the roughsnoble is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Nice curry house on La Brea and Melrose (the Mumtaz) we spend a lot of time around that area (even though we live east of Pasadena) as most of our friends live in West Hollywood. The bars on the nice end of the strip past the Mondrian (Red Rock etc) have a lot of Brits in them ... PM me for some detail
Cool. And I can vouch for The Gate Of India, on the corner of Sunset and Fuller. My (American) girlfriend swears by their tikka masala, which is amazing seeing as I hardly ever got her to eat Indian food before.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:55 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Elina just saw Ray Liotta in our local park with his kid when she took our son to play ................ and to think someone called our area a 'bourgeois westside neighbourhood'
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by snoble
Practically West Hollywood - very close to Sunset and La Brea.
there is an Irish pub on Fairfax called Molly Malone's;

http://www.mollymalonesla.com/music.html

Not sure if it's a pseudo Irish pub, never been there. Just another possible hint?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Expat_Wannabe is on a distinguished road

The Cat & Fidlle on Sunset (near the Arclight movie theatre) usually has a good crowd, plus the food (and bread) is great!

St Nicks on 3rd Street (near the Beverly Center) is also a nice little bar - bit darker, but huge drinks and a nice crowd!
Old Oct 26th 2005, 4:55 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

i know what some of you mean about having no interest in looking for other brits specificaly, i work with a few brits but living in somewhere like santa monica (full of brits) would be like living in a warmer blackpool lol, which is why i like to be in the minority in south pasadena.

Anthony
Old Oct 26th 2005, 5:30 pm
Banned

Just like Blackpool, Chubby Brown is doing stand up here next week. Sounds like inverted snobbery to me
Old Oct 26th 2005, 5:46 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Just like Blackpool, Chubby Brown is doing stand up here next week. Sounds like inverted snobbery to me
ITA - that's something I learnt from t'internet today, a new phrase.
ITA
BTW........
Old Oct 26th 2005, 5:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bored-silly
ITA - that's something I learnt from t'internet today, a new phrase.
ITA
BTW........
Gorn then
Old Oct 26th 2005, 5:50 pm

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Gorn then
I toadaly agree...
Old Oct 26th 2005, 5:55 pm
Banned

I toadaly agree...
you are the man
Old Oct 26th 2005, 5:56 pm

you are the man
Shut. Up.

Wasn't this a thread a couple of days ago?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:10 pm
Banned

Shut. Up.

Wasn't this a thread a couple of days ago?
Shut up or you are the man? I have no idea