Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British citizenship for US born son?

British citizenship for US born son?

Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:43 pm
British in Wisconsin

Jememennie is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: British citizenship for US born son?

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
I wanted to know the benefits of registering a birth as well but no-one could come up with an answer when I asked some time ago.

I just know that it is not necessary to register the birth with the UK Embassy but that my son is entitled to both British and American passports, (lucky bugger - and not one brush with the USCIS for him)!!
Hi there,

We just had a baby so I've been researching this too. I figure the advantage of registering the birth with the British Embassy is that you get a certificate proving British citizenship that doesn't expire. I'd rather have that for our daughter, than a 5 year passport that we'll have to keep renewing. We'll be getting her an American passport to travel on, so I figure she doesn't need a British one too.

I guess it just depends on whether you want some documentation that easily shows that your child is British. We don't plan on living in the UK in the future, but I feel better having something that will prove her British citizenship.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizenship for US born son?

Originally Posted by lionheart
Hi All,
I am attempting to ensure that my son is a British citizen in addition to being a US citizen( dual nationality). From what the British consulate website says they recommend getting a US passport as my son is automatically a UK citizen by descent of his father being a British national. Is my understanding correct? Should I just apply for a US passport and there would be no issues with hime gaining entry into the UK?
Here is the link I read;

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...6&L3=1&a=25317
I did this a few months ago. My wife (USC) and I (UKC) had a boy. I downloaded the form to register his birth from the embassy website, and passport application form. We applied for his US passport first, and when that arrived sent the registration of a birth abroad form, or whatever it's called, to the embassy together with the passport application form, photos, documents and lots of MONEY!

It took about 4 weeks from posting to receiving the document and his passport, all very efficient. As for Finnish nationality contact the Finnish embassy.

All the info you need is here:
http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41016&a=25315

and:

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41001&a=25297

PM me if you need specific advice!!! Happy to help.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 12:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jememennie
Hi there,

We just had a baby so I've been researching this too. I figure the advantage of registering the birth with the British Embassy is that you get a certificate proving British citizenship that doesn't expire. I'd rather have that for our daughter, than a 5 year passport that we'll have to keep renewing. We'll be getting her an American passport to travel on, so I figure she doesn't need a British one too.

I guess it just depends on whether you want some documentation that easily shows that your child is British. We don't plan on living in the UK in the future, but I feel better having something that will prove her British citizenship.
A British consular birth cert is well worth having because not all US birth cert documentation is easily accepted by the UK authorities. Especially if the first passport application is made many years into the future.

Incidenatally you don't get a 'citizenship cert' if the child is automatically British at birth - Britain doesn't issue citizenship certs to those automatically British - what you get is a consular birth certificate. As far as I am aware these are only issued to British citizen children.

Jeremy
Old Jul 25th 2005, 2:43 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Incidentally it's not always automatic for the child of a British father to be a British citizen. The two most common exceptions are (assuming the child is not British from the mother are):

1. Father is not married to the mother; or
2. Father is British 'by descent'

In many cases it's possible to register the child as a British citizen in these cases, but there are time limits so it's important to act quickly. Never assume the child is British unless it has a consular birth cert and an individual British passport (or a Home Office Certificate of Registration).

There have also been cases where the father is a British subject and not a British citizen. British subject status is not transmissable.

A consular birth certificate is well worth obtaining, as well as a British passport. It will save a lot of hassle later on.

Jeremy

So my grandson...who has unmarried parents the father being a Brit...may not get British citizenship so easy.....?? the baby is 3 months old.....
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
So my grandson...who has unmarried parents the father being a Brit...may not get British citizenship so easy.....?? the baby is 3 months old.....

It won'd be a problem provided the father applies for the child to be registered as a British citizen. The child is not British until registered, and the application *must* be made before the child is 18, otherwise all claim to British citizenship is lost (unless parents marry).

There is no information available on the British Embassy website but I can assure you the facility exists.

This is the information published on the website of the High Commission in Canberra, which is useful as a guide:
http://bhc.britaus.net/passports/pas...ult.asp?id=376

He should write to the British Embassy and ask for the relevant forms and information in order to register the child as a British citizen under s3(1) of the British Nationality Act.

There will be a fee involved. The forms and documentation need to be submitted to the Embassy, and will be forwarded to the Home Office in the UK. After a few months, the Home Office will send back a Certificate of Registration for the child.

Jeremy
Old Jul 25th 2005, 12:58 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It won'd be a problem provided the father applies for the child to be registered as a British citizen. The child is not British until registered, and the application *must* be made before the child is 18, otherwise all claim to British citizenship is lost (unless parents marry).

There is no information available on the British Embassy website but I can assure you the facility exists.

This is the information published on the website of the High Commission in Canberra, which is useful as a guide:
http://bhc.britaus.net/passports/pas...ult.asp?id=376

He should write to the British Embassy and ask for the relevant forms and information in order to register the child as a British citizen under s3(1) of the British Nationality Act.

There will be a fee involved. The forms and documentation need to be submitted to the Embassy, and will be forwarded to the Home Office in the UK. After a few months, the Home Office will send back a Certificate of Registration for the child.

Jeremy

Thanks for that......
Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:12 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: British citizenship for US born son?

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad

And don't get me started on that $2.10 a minute premium rate line!! If I pay that much at least I want the silly tart on the other end to tell me what color her knickers are!!! Oops, sorry, time for bed...
2.10 actualy isnt that bad - there are other countries out there charging more for there own citizens living overseas - but most of the info is actualy easy to find on the www site - the 2.10 is for the people who cant be bothered to look for a few mins!

Ant
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:01 pm
British Californian

Zippysigma is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: British citizenship for US born son?

I have been trying to register our daughter's birth and are struggling as I have lost a divorce certificate from a previous marriage. We are both British citizens and have all other certs. The 2.10 per min help line was hopeless

Anyone have any experience of this or ideas as to how to register her birth? would we have more luck if we were in the UK?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
I did this a few months ago. My wife (USC) and I (UKC) had a boy. I downloaded the form to register his birth from the embassy website, and passport application form. We applied for his US passport first, and when that arrived sent the registration of a birth abroad form, or whatever it's called, to the embassy together with the passport application form, photos, documents and lots of MONEY!

It took about 4 weeks from posting to receiving the document and his passport, all very efficient. As for Finnish nationality contact the Finnish embassy.

All the info you need is here:

and:

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41001&a=25297

PM me if you need specific advice!!! Happy to help.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:32 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zippysigma
I have been trying to register our daughter's birth and are struggling as I have lost a divorce certificate from a previous marriage. We are both British citizens and have all other certs. The 2.10 per min help line was hopeless

Anyone have any experience of this or ideas as to how to register her birth? would we have more luck if we were in the UK?

Thanks
try this web page - it may help

Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:10 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Your son is indeed an automatic dual national. You need to do three things - apply for a US passport, apply for a British passport, and register his birth with the UK Embassy in Washington D.C. The details for that are at britainusa.com so you're on the right track. You do not need to register his birth immediately, and you'll need to send off documents to D.C., so do that once you're done travelling for a bit. This is a good reminder, actually, I still need to do this for my nearly 4-year old daughter! Whoopsie! LOL
well I was told that you do not need to register the birth and to get a certificate was a complete waste of money..the British embassy in Washington told me this..they just said it's best to get the child a British passport, this is all the proof you will need that the child is a U.K citizen in his own right.

they do say that if you travel use the U.S passport, unlike the Brits the U.S has a big problem with one of their citizens travelling with another countries passport dual citizen or not

Lionheart if I was you I'd just get a U.S and a U.k passport for my child
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
well I was told that you do not need to register the birth and to get a certificate was a complete waste of money..the British embassy in Washington told me this..they just said it's best to get the child a British passport, this is all the proof you will need that the child is a U.K citizen in his own right.
That's not correct.

While a British passport on its own is usually enough, getting a consular birth cert will make life significantly easier if the passport is ever lost (otherwise there is a risk of having to prove citizenship again which can be a nightmare).

Not all US birth cert documentation is accepted at face value by British authorities, especially many years later.

It's inadvisable to have only a *single* document proving your citizenship, if born outside the UK. Also, as someone else pointed out, passports expire - consular birth certs don't.

they do say that if you travel use the U.S passport, unlike the Brits the U.S has a big problem with one of their citizens travelling with another countries passport dual citizen or not
Also incorrect. The US has no problem with US citizens holding or using another passport, provided one always shows a US passport to American officials and abides by US travel restrictions (eg no travel to Cuba without permission).

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Jul 27th 2005 at 11:12 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:26 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's not correct.

While a British passport on its own is usually enough, getting a consular birth cert will make life significantly easier if the passport is ever lost (otherwise there is a risk of having to prove citizenship again which can be a nightmare).

Not all US birth cert documentation is accepted at face value by British authorities, especially many years later.

It's inadvisable to have only a *single* document proving your citizenship, if born outside the UK. Also, as someone else pointed out, passports expire - consular birth certs don't.

Also incorrect. The US has no problem with US citizens holding or using another passport, provided one always shows a US passport to American officials and abides by US travel restrictions (eg no travel to Cuba without permission).

Jeremy
er okay so apparently everything was wrong lol I was just repeating what the person at the embassy told me "shrug"
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
er okay so apparently everything was wrong lol I was just repeating what the person at the embassy told me "shrug"
Just because someone at an embassy says something doesn't make it correct.

Lots of people have been misadvised in various circumstances by embassy officials (not just British ones) over the years.

As a general rule, I would not accept information from any kind of public enquiry line as definitive unless it can be verified some other way (eg by checking against a website, or the actual legislation).

Jeremy
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by antjen

The embassy website is down currently but if you need to know how to get a UK birth/marriage etc cert, you can follow this link:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...re_to_get.html

Jeremy
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The embassy website is down currently but if you need to know how to get a UK birth/marriage etc cert, you can follow this link:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...re_to_get.html

Jeremy

Working fine from Southwest US! Got roos in your ISP?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.