Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Airways airmiles GRRRRR!!!!

British Airways airmiles GRRRRR!!!!

Old May 7th 2005, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Airways airmiles GRRRRR!!!!

BA miles are CRAP!! I have complained so many times top them (even got a case of wine as had a bad flight too!) You have to pay full fare - I thought i had once but apparently it was discounted - although it never said this on the web!! AA are partners although you can't share miles on trans atlantic.

BMI are far superior on quality and miles - you get miles for any trip and its much more generous than other airlines.

Using BA for next home trip as they are best bet for direct from Dallas - but if they are as crap as the last flight i took with them i will be using BMI via Chicago in the future!!
Old May 7th 2005, 6:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

She said that they try to save them for tall people as the legroom is so small in economy. I'm just under 5'2" so I've got no chance next time I fly then!
Just say you'll be willing to open the door in case of emergency, then they'll give it to you as well...
Old May 7th 2005, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried 1800flyeurope.com We flew back to the UK from Los angeles last year July. 6 of us for under $1200 total. I just had a quick look and saw flights for about $700

May be worth a look.
Old May 8th 2005, 12:05 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'd really like to know how the service and legroom compares for the carriers who fly into the UK from the US. I must say BA were far superior to any domestic AA flight I've taken, even long-haul ones. Hadn't even heard of BMI until this thread; have heard of Virgin, of course, Continental, and the various European carriers.

If there's a link to a prior thread or something I can search on let me know! My shrink has said the best therapy for me is to go to the UK as often as I can lol
Old May 8th 2005, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

looks like BA will give you 25% of miles flown for a discounted economy ticket...
how generous of them

on the other hand from here BA seem to be the best service wise.
took AA last fall and while the plane/legroom in economy (brand new 777) was great, the service/food was awful...

anyone take Virgin's new A340's? how are the economy seats with them?
Old May 8th 2005, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

on another note..
BA will refund the difference if you can find a cheaper seat on BA for the same flight/class that is offered by theirs or even another website.
this actually is nothing new and other airlines will do it also.
so it could pay to keep on checking even after you book.

i saw a flight on BA for $450 that was being offered by a different website for $404 for the exact same flight pair, so you have to wonder what else the airlines are giving out to these website operators....:scared:
Old May 8th 2005, 2:08 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

The refund on a lower fare is nothing new, but what is new is now some of the airlines charge you for adjusting your ticket for the lower price, .
Btw, if you can ever splurge-Virgin's Upper Class has the largest seats.
Old May 9th 2005, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I'd really like to know how the service and legroom compares for the carriers who fly into the UK from the US. I must say BA were far superior to any domestic AA flight I've taken, even long-haul ones. Hadn't even heard of BMI until this thread; have heard of Virgin, of course, Continental, and the various European carriers.

If there's a link to a prior thread or something I can search on let me know! My shrink has said the best therapy for me is to go to the UK as often as I can lol
American has better legroom in economy than BA - BMI is even better - in fact all US carriers longhaul SHOULD offer better legroom than domestic flights
Old May 9th 2005, 2:46 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
American has better legroom in economy than BA - BMI is even better - in fact all US carriers longhaul SHOULD offer better legroom than domestic flights
So how do BA remain so successful in the US->UK market then?
Old May 9th 2005, 2:53 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly more flights offered? I've flown USAir,BA,Contintental, United, Delta, Virgin, Pan Am and American to the UK, and while some flights were more comfortable (read less crowded then others or I was in Business or First Class) I can't complain. We got where we needed to be safely. Seems to be a rule of thumb that there are always crying babies and so on regardless of the airline you fly.
Old May 9th 2005, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Because they are part of the airline mafia I reckon! All the airlines have alliances left right and centre, also BA has a good reputation historically. Routing is also another good one - they often fly direct to the tourist and business hotspots. For example, I try to fly BA - not because it's BA, but it is the only airline that goes direct Tampa to London. If the prices are too outrageous I'll take another flight via wherever, but that convenience is nice.

I do think BA are real tightwads on the miles though - seem to have a tougher time building them up than my US Air miles.

Last edited by Dan725; May 9th 2005 at 2:56 am.
Old May 9th 2005, 2:56 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Dan725
For example, I try to fly BA - not because it's BA, but it is the only airline that goes direct Tampa to London. If the prices are too outrageous I'll take another flight via wherever, but that convenience is nice.
Hmmmmm..... I wonder who I'd have to shag in order to get a direct Austin-London flight.
Old May 9th 2005, 6:13 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmm..... I wonder who I'd have to shag in order to get a direct Austin-London flight.
Swap the word 'shag' for 'hijack', and you'll be sorted, right as rain.
Old May 9th 2005, 6:17 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by syllk
Swap the word 'shag' for 'hijack', and you'll be sorted, right as rain.
syllk, you are always right.

how about "who do I need to shag to get a regularly scheduled direct flight (once a week or more often) from Austin to London?"
Old May 9th 2005, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Used to be true, alas an urban legend now. The "More Room Through Coach" (MRTC) is history. AA are back the the industry standard seat pitch (31" IIRC). They have subtly been putting seat rows back in coach and removing the MRTC logos from napkins, advertising and cabin announcements. More details of "Less Room Through Coach" as it is know on flyertalk.com.

- Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.