British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British accents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-accents-436248/)

neil Mar 21st 2007 6:52 pm

British accents

Apologies if already posted somewhere - a lot of the same things that come up on here are mentioned in this article so thought it might be interesting if you haven't seen it yet:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6470095.stm

Tracym Mar 21st 2007 6:57 pm

Re: British accents

Originally Posted by neil (Post 4543354)
Apologies if already posted somewhere - a lot of the same things that come up on here are mentioned in this article so thought it might be interesting if you haven't seen it yet:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6470095.stm

My fiance (scottish) who will be a vet was told...

Now for you accent wh*ores who want to go off to the states and peddle your accents...

He was told he probably wouldn't have a problem finding a job "ooooh SCOTland"

gag lol

neil Mar 21st 2007 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 4543367)
My fiance (scottish) who will be a vet was told...

Now for you accent wh*ores who want to go off to the states and peddle your accents...

He was told he probably wouldn't have a problem finding a job "ooooh SCOTland"

gag lol

Not just for jobs - I found (back when I was single) it was much easier to get laid here in the US.

Tracym Mar 21st 2007 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 4543444)
Not just for jobs - I found (back when I was single) it was much easier to get laid here in the US.

Well he'd BETTER NOT!!! Note word fiance! :) :)

I'm sure you're right - to his great disgust, all the teenage girls (don't ask why, I had a pack of them around) absolutely fawned over him - and tried to get him to recite Harry Potter lines.

And a nurse who he thanked for helping him "Oh I don't mind - I loved listening to you" LOLOL Never mind she could hardly understand a word.

He'll just have to concentrating on charming potential bosses. :)

neil Mar 21st 2007 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 4543458)

I'm sure you're right - to his great disgust, all the teenage girls (don't ask why, I had a pack of them around) absolutely fawned over him - and tried to get him to recite Harry Potter lines.

And a nurse who he thanked for helping him "Oh I don't mind - I loved listening to you" LOLOL Never mind she could hardly understand a word.

Nothing wrong with flirting. A couple of weeks ago I had to point out to a gorgeous young girl (not that I'm that old but she was in her 20's and I'm not any more) that I had a wedding ring on. It didn't stop her trying though. The accent didn't play a part at first but I do wonder whether that was what kept her hanging around.

Tracym Mar 21st 2007 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 4543805)
Nothing wrong with flirting. A couple of weeks ago I had to point out to a gorgeous young girl (not that I'm that old but she was in her 20's and I'm not any more) that I had a wedding ring on. It didn't stop her trying though. The accent didn't play a part at first but I do wonder whether that was what kept her hanging around.

lol nothing wrong with flirting if I'm not watching :)

So now just how do I convince him that UK men CAN wear wedding rings?

Jerseygirl Mar 21st 2007 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 4543805)

Whoopsie...I didn't notice your wedding ring Neil. :o

neil Mar 21st 2007 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4543816)
Whoopsie...I didn't notice your wedding ring Neil. :o

I said young...

britvic Mar 21st 2007 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 4543826)
I said young...

You asking for a slap :eek: ;)

neil Mar 21st 2007 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 4543831)
You asking for a slap :eek: ;)

That sort of thing doesn't really do it for me but thanks for offering.

britvic Mar 21st 2007 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 4543835)
That sort of thing doesn't really do it for me but thanks for offering.

:lol: :sneaky:

Jerseygirl Mar 21st 2007 9:06 pm

I said young...

...that's why I knew you were referring to me. :lol:

neil Mar 21st 2007 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4543840)

I didn't realise you were asian and had an american accent. It was very nice to meet you.

britvic Mar 21st 2007 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4543840)

:lol: very good JG.

britvic Mar 21st 2007 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 4543843)
I didn't realise you were asian and had an american accent. It was very nice to meet you.

:rofl: oh dear.

Jerseygirl Mar 21st 2007 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 4543843)

I can be anything you would like me to be..... :kiss: :kiss:

Jerseygirl Mar 21st 2007 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by britvic (Post 4543854)
:rofl: oh dear.

Nothing I can't get out of Vic....:lol:

britvic Mar 21st 2007 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4543866)
Nothing I can't get out of Vic....:lol:

I know :lol: your to quick for him mate.

Ray Mar 21st 2007 9:43 pm

People say I talk like I bleeedin well came from Arrow

Jerseygirl Mar 21st 2007 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4543961)

Having spoken to you...I'll vouch for that.

Irn-bru Mar 21st 2007 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 4543458)

You only get that in the South I found and the mid-west, not in Seattle area which is a bit of a relief when living somewhere as it does get tired after a while.

Irn-bru Mar 21st 2007 10:55 pm

You sound dead posh :D

BigDavyG Mar 22nd 2007 1:15 am

I said young...

:ohmy:
:rofl: :rofl:

Jerseygirl Mar 22nd 2007 1:22 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4544961)
:ohmy:
:rofl: :rofl:

I'll turn a blind eye to that Davy. :p

Rushman Mar 22nd 2007 1:25 am

Arrow on the ill?

BigDavyG Mar 22nd 2007 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4544970)
I'll turn a blind eye to that Davy. :p

Jersey if it had been anyone else but you it just would have been :rofl: :rofl: without the :ohmy:

Jerseygirl Mar 22nd 2007 1:34 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 4544992)
Jersey if it had been anyone else but you it just would have been :rofl: :rofl: without the :ohmy:

I'm sure I don't know what you mean.

Silly Sod Mar 22nd 2007 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4544179)
You only get that in the South I found and the mid-west, not in Seattle area which is a bit of a relief when living somewhere as it does get tired after a while.

Snot fair!! Hardly anyone ever comments on my accent and I live in the mid-west. Bar stools!!!! So far I have had one fairly hot chick (by which I mean under 40 without a bleach blond hairdoo and not quite enough make-up to sink a battleship) say 'I love your accent, I could listen to it all.....night (wuff!!!), one old gal and one supersize girl at Cracker Barrell who said I sound just like Austin Powers. Austin bleedin Powers???!!?? I am from Manchester for god sake.

Jerseygirl Mar 22nd 2007 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4545149)
Snot fair!! Hardly anyone ever comments on my accent and I live in the mid-west. Bar stools!!!! So far I have had one fairly hot chick (by which I mean under 40 without a bleach blond hairdoo and not quite enough make-up to sink a battleship) say 'I love your accent, I could listen to it all.....night (wuff!!!), one old gal and one supersize girl at Cracker Barrell who said I sound just like Austin Powers. Austin bleedin Powers???!!?? I am from Manchester for god sake.

He's Canadian....you Silly Sod.

Silly Sod Mar 22nd 2007 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4545212)
He's Canadian....you Silly Sod.

He mentioned the mid-west and Seattle so I thought....oh sod it :)

Irn-bru Mar 22nd 2007 6:44 am

As another poster said it'd have to be Scottish or a 'nice' English accent for people to say "I luv your accent" ;) :p ;) :D

Jerseygirl Mar 22nd 2007 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4545484)
As another poster said it'd have to be Scottish or a 'nice' English accent for people to say "I luv your accent" ;) :p ;) :D

A nice Yorkshire accent gets compliments all the time.

Paul S Mar 22nd 2007 11:48 am

Snot fair!! Hardly anyone ever comments on my accent and I live in the mid-west. Bar stools!!!! So far I have had one fairly hot chick (by which I mean under 40 without a bleach blond hairdoo and not quite enough make-up to sink a battleship) say 'I love your accent, I could listen to it all.....night (wuff!!!), .

Thet guy I work with (another Brit) get that sometimes, although he's also had it from blokes too, perhaps they think bats for both sides :rofl: :rofl: (if he reads this he's gonna kill me!)

I tend to get complimented often ;) Mined ewe I also regularly get the 'huh, wotchootalkingaboutwillis' look too sometimes:lol:

Must be my West Cundry accent:ohmy: :ohmy:

Tracym Mar 22nd 2007 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Irn-bru (Post 4545484)

Some woman told my fiance "oh I just looooove your accent, I could eat it up with a spoon!"

I think he started backing slowly away...

Deedee13 Mar 22nd 2007 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 4546530)
Some woman told my fiance "oh I just looooove your accent, I could eat it up with a spoon!"

I think he started backing slowly away...

slowly lmao .....

although i think that is quite nice to hear, never heard it before.

Elvira Mar 22nd 2007 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4546343)
A nice Yorkshire accent gets compliments all the time.

I'm sure it does, Sweetheart - but how do you make yourself understood? :confused:

Ayup :) :thumbsup:

Tracym Mar 22nd 2007 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4546719)
I'm sure it does, Sweetheart - but how do you make yourself understood? :confused:

Ayup :) :thumbsup:

lolol I was speaking to a woman in Yorkshire on the phone, and I managed - just.

I actually have more trouble with some of the Scottish accents (not my honey's thankfully).

I also remember my elderly neighbor - "Oh, you should hear the Scottish guy next door. Can't understand a word he says, but we LOVE to listen to him" - following by delighted cooing of the young women she was speaking to.

He also can speak French, so was always pested to speak French to the girls. So he smiled sweetly and gently taught them the most horrendous insults, which of course sounded lovely. I hope noone takes those phrases back to their high school French teachers. I think one involved anatomically impossible acts with chickens...

Elvira Mar 22nd 2007 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 4546730)
lolol ...He also can speak French, so was always pested to speak French to the girls. So he smiled sweetly and gently taught them the most horrendous insults, which of course sounded lovely. I hope noone takes those phrases back to their high school French teachers. I think one involved anatomically impossible acts with chickens...

Well, anyone who doesn't like the way I talk can baiser mon cul... :p

neil Mar 22nd 2007 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4543865)
I can be anything you would like me to be..... :kiss: :kiss:

OK, can you be a surrogate grandmother for me?

Tracym Mar 22nd 2007 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4546757)
Well, anyone who doesn't like the way I talk can baiser mon cul... :p

lol I unfortunately do NOT speak French - other than one phrase I suspect I shall never use ;)

I'll ask my "translater" later today :)