Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Britax Car Seats

Britax Car Seats

Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britax Car Seats

Originally Posted by woodsey
I think they're totally different, my mum had a Britax seat for the grandkids in her car and its totally different to the Britax I have here, I have the Marathon here and I don't recall them having one so big back in the UK..
I know with BA, Britax is the only make they allow you to take on board..
Heres the link for their UK range, lokks totally different to their US range..

http://www.britax.co.uk/Catalogue_2004/index.html
Old Mar 13th 2006, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We had a similar problem, although the label was very clear, the aircrew refused to let us use it, which is (apparently) their prerogative, regardless of what the FAA/CAA say!! See reply #18 on http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=european
I had a similar problem when I flew with my daughter (she was about 6 months old) anyhow we bought her, her own ticket and do every time she flies because it is the safest way. Anyhow when I flew over to the UK that time I flew from GRR-ORD-LHR on United then took a connecting flight with BMI to teesside. What a pain in the arse BMI where! I was told that I could not use a rear facing car seat on the plane as it was not safe only forward facing could be used. They said that was from the CAA even though road safety groups in the UK and US agree that a child under 1 or/and under 20lbs is safest in rear facing apparently that is not so one UK planes. I had to sit with her on my lap with a belly belt on, she had great fun leaning forward hitting into the seat in front... how the %$@* can that be safer than having her fastened into a car seat? ignorance if you ask me.

Last time I flew the same route with her this time in a forward facing car seat they made this big show when I was standing at the gate of how she may not be able to travel in that one either. They ended up taking the seat to 'measure and test it in the plane before they would agree to let her travel in it they told me if it over lapped the plane seat at all then she could not travel in it. Lucky it fit fine...when we bought that seat we bought it as a spare to use on planes and my in laws car so it is basic no cup holders arm rests etc. Makes ya wonder if they actually want a baby/toddler to be in the safest place on a plane. I have never had any problems like that on US flights.

On the flip side we have had US cabin crew actually thank us for paying the extra for a seat one said she could not believe how many parents don't!

Ash
Old Mar 13th 2006, 5:08 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul_TX
You were unlucky . European Aviation are a leasing company / charter outfit and although they were flying under the guise of BA, they are not bound by any of the BA policies and will use their own.

Didn't read the whole thread so that might have been said already.

yes, thats right - and BA were totally disinterested - in fact they admitted that the ONLY consideration when leasing was price - safety policies weren't even considered.....which I personally think is pretty crap
Old Mar 13th 2006, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
I think they're totally different, my mum had a Britax seat for the grandkids in her car and its totally different to the Britax I have here, I have the Marathon here and I don't recall them having one so big back in the UK..
I know with BA, Britax is the only make they allow you to take on board..
I know what you mean. When I went searching for a new Britax for our daughter, couldn't believe the size difference from the one we had from the UK. I wonder if its because they have to stay in them longer here?
Old Mar 13th 2006, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I know what you mean. When I went searching for a new Britax for our daughter, couldn't believe the size difference from the one we had from the UK. I wonder if its because they have to stay in them longer here?
No. it's probably because American kids are fatter.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
No. it's probably because American kids are fatter.
Yeah Rushman, yep that's the reason......any other intelligent offerings from you?
Old Mar 14th 2006, 12:41 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

You could try the 'Sit N Stroll' which I have seen many of over here. Same kind of thing and its FAA approved. You can get it at Amazon.com and I'm sure for a small fortune, they will ship it to you.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 12:41 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think so - the UK range covers up to 11 years and 80lbs...I think its just a difference in specs. But we found the opposite anyway...we have a Renaissance (UK)version that only goes up to (I think) 40lbs, and its a LOT bigger and heavier than the Wizard we have here that goes up to 65lbs....and you really feel the difference lugging them round airports! I think one of the reasons some of the UK versions are heavier is that some of them (like the renaissance) can recline in place without adjusting any of the mountings...whereas the US versions can't because its apparently agains the regs (according to a Britax rep). Shame, cos its really useful on a long trip.... .
Old Mar 14th 2006, 4:02 am
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Everything is bigger and 'better' here!
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bored-silly
You could try the 'Sit N Stroll' which I have seen many of over here. Same kind of thing and its FAA approved. You can get it at Amazon.com and I'm sure for a small fortune, they will ship it to you.
That product really doesn't appeal. From what I have read, it won't be something we can use next year. I'd like to get something to last until the kid is atleast 4.