Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Britain's Special Relationship With US Is Just a Myth"

"Britain's Special Relationship With US Is Just a Myth"

Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:06 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Britain's Special Relationship With US Is Just a Myth"

Originally Posted by Old William
Get it right...a Dead Empire.
We still have the Isle of Wight, but they may go for Independence soon.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
We still have the Isle of Wight, but they may go for Independence soon.
Don't forget the Channel Islands.

Or Scotland.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:14 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Don't forget the Channel Islands.

Or Scotland.
Like a scene from Braveheart, I can see half the OZ forum painting their faces blue, showing their arses and heading this way as we type.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Like a scene from Braveheart, I can see half the OZ forum painting their faces blue, showing their arses and heading this way as we type.
And thats before the bars open up.
God help us at quitting time....
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:51 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Hmmm

US offered the loan of a proper Aircraft Carrier.

French supplied the Argies with Exocets.
French sales of Exocets to Argentina was well before the conflict, and during the war UK SIS and French secret services joined forces in an undercover operation to prevent any more exocets getting into Argentine hands. As detailed in The Secret War for the Falkands by Nigel West.

What's all this about the US offering an aircraft carrier? Got a link?

Edit: just had a look myself. Caspar Weinberger apparently offered one as a joke and any reports of serious offers seem to be restricted to vague claims from unnamed sources. A real offer has never been acknowledged by aeither party. Most sources also recognise that such a loan would have been to all practical intents pretty much unworkable in the timeframe involved.

Last edited by elfman; Nov 30th 2006 at 7:06 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by elfman
....What's all this about the US offering an aircraft carrier? Got a link?
Think it was the USS Jupiter.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:20 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't resist posting a comment on the telegraph site..

"I have lived in the US for the last 5 years and have to say that the amount of people I come across who have knowledge of Britain is dire- I have been asked how long did it take me to learn the language, whereabouts in London is England, I could go on... I truly don't think the American people care for our opinions or help.

Just because we watch Hollywood films and speak (questionably) the same language does not make us similar. The differences might not be apparent on a 2 week holiday to Florida, but open your eyes- we have more in common with liberal Europe."

Well that dick who said he lives here in the Us and it feels like home got on my T**ts! (grumpy today!!)
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:43 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
Couldn't resist posting a comment on the telegraph site..

"I have lived in the US for the last 5 years and have to say that the amount of people I come across who have knowledge of Britain is dire- I have been asked how long did it take me to learn the language, whereabouts in London is England, I could go on... I truly don't think the American people care for our opinions or help.

Just because we watch Hollywood films and speak (questionably) the same language does not make us similar. The differences might not be apparent on a 2 week holiday to Florida, but open your eyes- we have more in common with liberal Europe."

Well that dick who said he lives here in the Us and it feels like home got on my T**ts! (grumpy today!!)
My wifes aunt (lovely woman) asked the missus when we first met, in whispered tones and off to one side - I thought you said he was English? Why does he keep saying he's from Britain???

Another woman at our wedding reception asked - How far are you from the castle? THinking I had mis=heard I asked - Newcastle? SHe replied - I dunno, the castle where the queen lives.

Cute
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:47 pm

Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
My wifes aunt (lovely woman) asked the missus when we first met, in whispered tones and off to one side - I thought you said he was English? Why does he keep saying he's from Britain???

Another woman at our wedding reception asked - How far are you from the castle? THinking I had mis=heard I asked - Newcastle? SHe replied - I dunno, the castle where the queen lives.

Cute
someone tried to tell me (who is still in Britain) that the chavs would be as clueless as some of the Americans I have met. I think not. They might ask stupid things like 'have you shot anyone?' but they know basic stuff like language spoken in the US, president, where new york is etc.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

someone tried to tell me (who is still in Britain) that the chavs would be as clueless as some of the Americans I have met. I think not. They might ask stupid things like 'have you shot anyone?' but they know basic stuff like language spoken in the US, president, where new york is etc.
That's debatable!
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
That's debatable!
Have you seen street smarts? they need a Uk version
Old Nov 30th 2006, 7:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

heard one tv presenter yesterday morning say....we've got fog just like they get in scotland yard
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen street smarts? they need a Uk version
No, but I can guess what it's about.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
No, but I can guess what it's about.
You should check it out, your eyes might be opened to the average Americans knowledge level.

Would love a brit version- where they ask a bunch of chavs questions.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
LOL, when i was newly arrived here I would have laughed and politely explained that. Nowadays, I think I would be more inclined to tie a piece of string to one of my teeth, the other end to the door knob, and told her to slam the door.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.