Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brit in USA - marriage in UK

Brit in USA - marriage in UK

Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Shenku is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brit in USA - marriage in UK

Firstly I am not sure if I am in the correct forum so I apologize in advance if this is the case.

I am a green card holder (since 2004) and have resided in the US since that time. My fiance is also a green card holder and has been here since 1985 and is in the final stages of his US citizenship. We are trying to organize a wedding and are looking at options.

His family live in Florida, mine back in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I would love to get married in December when I go home for Christmas with my family present. I know England has some residency requirements and with the dates of our trip we would be unable to meet those requirements so I had wondered about Scotland and perhaps Gretna Green. I've tried searching on websites but the process is confusing me a little and I am wondering if anyone here has been through that process or if they can outline it simply for me. We will be visiting the UK for 14 days and returning to the USA after that.

Thank you for your time.

Lainey
Old Mar 24th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit in USA - marriage in UK

My husband & I got married in Scotland in 2003 - we were living in the South of England at the time.

As I recall, we had to some paperwork ahead of time, then we visited the local registrar before the wedding and again after the wedding to get our marriage certificate. We were only in Scotland for about 3 or 4 days.

I can't remember all of the details, but here's a link that looks to have some good info..

http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/regsc...and/index.html
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:03 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shenku
Firstly I am not sure if I am in the correct forum so I apologize in advance if this is the case.

I am a green card holder (since 2004) and have resided in the US since that time. My fiance is also a green card holder and has been here since 1985 and is in the final stages of his US citizenship. We are trying to organize a wedding and are looking at options.

His family live in Florida, mine back in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I would love to get married in December when I go home for Christmas with my family present. I know England has some residency requirements and with the dates of our trip we would be unable to meet those requirements so I had wondered about Scotland and perhaps Gretna Green. I've tried searching on websites but the process is confusing me a little and I am wondering if anyone here has been through that process or if they can outline it simply for me. We will be visiting the UK for 14 days and returning to the USA after that.

Thank you for your time.

Lainey

You don't state your citizenships. From Rebs link:

"From 1 February 2005, if you are visiting the United Kingdom (UK) to be married and you are a citizen of a country that is not a member of the European Economic Area, you will need to apply for a visa before you travel (this only applies if your marriage notice is received by the registrar on or after 1 February 2005). If you do not get a visa the registrar will not be able to accept your notice of marriage and you will not be able to marry in the UK. Obtaining a visa should be straight forward. For more information visit the UK Visas website where there is guidance for "Visitors" or contact your nearest British Embassy, Consulate or High Commission for advice."
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Shenku is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info Rebs and the link.

FatBrit - sorry my citizenship was in my post title. I'm British.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:38 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shenku
Thanks for the info Rebs and the link.

FatBrit - sorry my citizenship was in my post title. I'm British.
So if you're both Brits or EEA, looks easy enough.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 6:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

It's a long time since I did this under similar circumstances, but at that time I had to "sign in" with the registrar to establish residency at an address in the area three weeks prior to the wedding date. I was then supposed to spend every night at that address, but I don't think anyone was checking up! My husband-to-be, the USC, just had to check in with the registrar a week before the ceremony.

Unfortunately, this meant that I blew all my vacation time for the year on establishing residency, and it was straight back to NY and work two days after the wedding! But at least my folks were able to attend.

I'd suggest deciding on where you might like to do it, and then contacting the authorities there to see what their requirements are so you can plan accordingly.