Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brit students on flying the American flag

Wikiposts

Brit students on flying the American flag

Old May 18th 2007, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Hank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Brit students on flying the American flag

Yeah, of course dual has many advantages and when I'm eligible I will do likewise. I won't be American in my heart though. Personally I think that is impossible if you leave your birth country as an adult.
Old May 18th 2007, 10:34 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
Great 4 my kids. They get 2 have the choice of livin and workin in europe. Plus I can use my brit ppt to get into the uk easily. Guess I'm not really a brit cit like most on here since we have all decided to leave and emigrate to the usa. It is pretty sczophrenic position to be in havin dual nationality and gradually losing ones attachment to the uk.
I guess I read your earlier post the same way Hank did. Myself, I also have the right to claim dual, but I'm sticking with USC.
Old May 18th 2007, 10:56 am
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyghiggins

How do you think american's would react if I put up a St Georges Flag outside my house? Honest question, always thought about it but would not want to cause drama.
Maybe I should try it sometime...
Old May 18th 2007, 10:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hank Hill
Most would have no clue what it is. It's your house do what you want.
You can't necessarily do as you want with the outside of your house. Pity you weren't around a year ago when AWP had a dispute with the HOA.
Old May 18th 2007, 10:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
Maybe I should try it sometime...
Haha Snap.
Old May 18th 2007, 11:14 am
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can't necessarily do as you want with the outside of your house. Pity you weren't around a year ago when AWP had a dispute with the HOA.
I beg to differ...with the aid of my trusty companions, Mr Smith and Mr Wesson the HOA came round to my ways of thinking
Old May 18th 2007, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

tonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of light

aww come on don't keep me hanging, spill the beans and I mean Heinz not pork and beans
Old May 18th 2007, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Hank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If only I knew who AWP was and HOA is
Old May 18th 2007, 11:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Hank Hill
If only I knew who AWP was and HOA is
Angry White Pyjamas...Home Owners Association.
Old May 18th 2007, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

ahhh the dreaded Home owners Association - isn't that more if you buy in to a community?? I don't plan on buying anywhere that is in one
Old May 18th 2007, 11:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Take a look:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361168

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361662
Old May 18th 2007, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Haha I had a quick scan through - an amusing thread - and further evidence why I'll avoid them like the plague!
Old May 18th 2007, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
It depends where you live in the UK whether you fly a flag or not outside your home and which flag it is you want to display. Here in Scotland there is no problem at all, anywhere, when it comes to flying the Saltire (ie the blue and white flag of St Andrew of Scotland). It would not be wise to fly the St George of England flag though. I'm not sure about the Union flag as I can't remember ever seeing anyone fly that outside their home - one public buildings yes, but almost always alongside, or even below the Saltire.

I'm not too sure about the St George flag down in England - what I can say is that during the World Cup it's fluttering from every vantage point all over the show - from cars, taxis, buses, outside houses, in house and shop windows, from flagpoles everywhere and I even saw some in a public loo when the WC was on when I was at uni in Leeds. As soon as England gets kicked out of the Cup they all vanish overnight

Apparently it all depends where you live in England whether it's "safe" to fly a St George flag, and maybe the Union flag as well. If you live in an urban area with a lot of immigrants or ethnics in the population then it seems that the council will come round and ask (or even tell) you to remove it because "it may/will cause offence". I think that's really stupid. I've never heard of the same thing happening here in Scotland because of the Saltire, so I reckon it's the English flag that causes the probs in those areas. Maybe it's perfectly safe to fly the St George or Union flag if you live in rural areas which are all Tory blue on the politico map - all of rural England is Tory blue on this map.
Can I fly the one with the lion? It's cool... it's pretty...

see how excited us septics are aout flag flying...
Old May 18th 2007, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tracym
Can I fly the one with the lion? It's cool... it's pretty...

see how excited us septics are aout flag flying...
You only fly that one if you're into sheep
Old May 18th 2007, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
You only fly that one if you're into sheep
Sheep are good. I like sheep. I think the Suffolks are the cutest sheep - I want one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.