Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brit students on flying the American flag

Wikiposts

Brit students on flying the American flag

Old May 18th 2007, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of
Default Brit students on flying the American flag

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/p...flag.html#more

Does the absence of publicly displaying the flag/saying the pledge of allegiance in school lessen the feeling of solidarity with one's fellow citizens? Most British people seem happy with whatever nationality/region they choose to identify with. Is there a "shared dream and vision" in Britain that does not encompass the (mostly) peaceful coexistence of nationalities living alongside one another? And if national identity does not matter, how do you feel different about 'old glory' when you naturalize as a USC and are able to call yourself an American in a distinctly British accent? Interested in the point of view of people who have done it.

Last edited by Dewey; May 18th 2007 at 6:47 am.
Old May 18th 2007, 7:56 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit students on flying the American flag

It's been nearly 7 years since I took US citizenship. I have yet to say "I am American", to the best of my knowledge. Maybe once or twice when under the affluence of incohol I might have said "Well I'm a Yank too now" but I always say I was born and raised in England, but now have dual nationality.

I'm looking forward to escaping the US before our daughter has to start Kindergarten in August, and has to say the Pledge. She's a dual national, too, and has zero knowledge of allegiance to one country.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Hank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of light

If and when I become a USC I think I'd always refer to myself as a USC rather than American. It might seem the same to most, but to me there is a definite nuance.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

tonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of light

I was always curious as to the differences here and back home, in the actual flying the flag outside your house deal.

Americans have no problem doing it, would English people get scorned for it?

How do you think american's would react if I put up a St Georges Flag outside my house? Honest question, always thought about it but would not want to cause drama.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Hank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of light

Most would have no clue what it is. It's your house do what you want.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:44 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyghiggins
I was always curious as to the differences here and back home, in the actual flying the flag outside your house deal.

How do you think american's would react if I put up a St Georges Flag outside my house? Honest question, always thought about it but would not want to cause drama.
You'd probably get reactions like, "I didn't know you were from Denmark ..."
Old May 18th 2007, 9:54 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

I recently received my usc. The ceremony was very moving. Even the immigration guy was crying. I consider myself british american and a proud us citizen. If you are not ready to renounce your alleigance to the queen and british government then don't even bother filling out your n400. Become an american, yes even americans can have english, irish, scottish and welsh accents! Even french! There is nothing to be ashamed of your great british heritage and your newly adopted nation. Revel in it and contribute greatly

Last edited by leonatlanta; May 18th 2007 at 9:58 am.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Have you officially given up UK citizenship then?? handed the passport back??
Old May 18th 2007, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

I have one in my office - most think it's a Swiss flag. Noone has expressed 'offence' at it, nor has there been any drama. They're more taken aback by the inflatable Saguaro cactus which stands alongside the flag, since there are plenty of the real things outside...

That said, I've not seen a single person flying an American flag, or indeed carrying/using/wearing anything based on the flag's design, where I work. This will change shortly as it's now the law in Arizona that all classrooms are to contain a US-made flag and a copy of either the Constitution or Declaration of Independence (I forget which).
Old May 18th 2007, 10:04 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hank Hill
This is funny.

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
i'd never give up my british citizenship
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451077
Old May 18th 2007, 10:05 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

No. If u read my post I am british american, we have dual.
Old May 18th 2007, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

I read it just fine, you make it sound like you want to be 100% American but keep the UK citizenship just in case. So no different from anyone else then.

I don't have a problem with the dual part but you make it sound like people should not be taking dual, when you are doing just that. I could be wrong though
Old May 18th 2007, 10:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Yeah hilarious?
Old May 18th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

It depends where you live in the UK whether you fly a flag or not outside your home and which flag it is you want to display. Here in Scotland there is no problem at all, anywhere, when it comes to flying the Saltire (ie the blue and white flag of St Andrew of Scotland). It would not be wise to fly the St George of England flag though. I'm not sure about the Union flag as I can't remember ever seeing anyone fly that outside their home - one public buildings yes, but almost always alongside, or even below the Saltire.

I'm not too sure about the St George flag down in England - what I can say is that during the World Cup it's fluttering from every vantage point all over the show - from cars, taxis, buses, outside houses, in house and shop windows, from flagpoles everywhere and I even saw some in a public loo when the WC was on when I was at uni in Leeds. As soon as England gets kicked out of the Cup they all vanish overnight

Apparently it all depends where you live in England whether it's "safe" to fly a St George flag, and maybe the Union flag as well. If you live in an urban area with a lot of immigrants or ethnics in the population then it seems that the council will come round and ask (or even tell) you to remove it because "it may/will cause offence". I think that's really stupid. I've never heard of the same thing happening here in Scotland because of the Saltire, so I reckon it's the English flag that causes the probs in those areas. Maybe it's perfectly safe to fly the St George or Union flag if you live in rural areas which are all Tory blue on the politico map - all of rural England is Tory blue on this map.

Last edited by Lothianlad; May 18th 2007 at 10:16 am.
Old May 18th 2007, 10:24 am
Banned

I read it just fine, you make it sound like you want to be 100% American but keep the UK citizenship just in case. So no different from anyone else then.

I don't have a problem with the dual part but you make it sound like people should not be taking dual, when you are doing just that. I could be wrong though
Great 4 my kids. They get 2 have the choice of livin and workin in europe. Plus I can use my brit ppt to get into the uk easily. Guess I'm not really a brit cit like most on here since we have all decided to leave and emigrate to the usa. It is pretty sczophrenic position to be in havin dual nationality and gradually losing ones attachment to the uk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.