Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing pensioner in-law to live with us

Bringing pensioner in-law to live with us

Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Oscarbd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing pensioner in-law to live with us

Could anyone shed any light on issues with bring a retired parent to live with us (as we are permanent residents)? Obviously there are the medical considerations as she is 71 years old. She would sell her assets and live with us, living off the proceeds. Can we apply for resident status as we would sponsor her? Or are we stuck with only a 6 month maximum stay?

Has anyone else tried to do this? If so, any other red flags or cautions would be welcomed. Thanks all.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing pensioner in-law to live with us

Without citizenship you can't sponsor anyone.
And yes medical insurance would be your biggest issue since it's pretty impossible to get insured once you reach that age and she wouldn't qualify for state aid.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oscarbd
Could anyone shed any light on issues with bring a retired parent to live with us (as we are permanent residents)? Obviously there are the medical considerations as she is 71 years old. She would sell her assets and live with us, living off the proceeds. Can we apply for resident status as we would sponsor her? Or are we stuck with only a 6 month maximum stay?

Has anyone else tried to do this? If so, any other red flags or cautions would be welcomed. Thanks all.
I became a USC in 2006 after 20 years being here as an LPR. Then was qualified to sponsor my OAP parents who moved here last fall. The health care/ins. issue is the biggy.
There may be health insurance they would be able to purchase. That depends on the state. Many states have insurance pools for "the otherwise uninsurable". In Oregon it's called OMIP, a state program but administered by Regence BlueCrossBlueShield of Oregon.
Also do not discount culture shock. For my Mom the worst was TV withdrawal. Which wouldn't have applied to me, I can't be bothered with it.
So that would depend on the individual.

Last edited by farmerwife; Feb 28th 2008 at 9:03 pm. Reason: correct name
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I've just met a British woman here who's going through this. She's just got her citizenship and can now sponsor her parents.

They have found insurance, I don't know how but I know that one of the parents has had cancer so that isn't covered. But I don't think they're paying that heinous a premium.

I would love it if my parents would move over here but I don't think it will ever happen...
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kins
I've just met a British woman here who's going through this. She's just got her citizenship and can now sponsor her parents.

They have found insurance, I don't know how but I know that one of the parents has had cancer so that isn't covered. But I don't think they're paying that heinous a premium.

I would love it if my parents would move over here but I don't think it will ever happen...
There is Insurance and Insurance

We have Insurance, we also have a $5,000 deductible.

My mother has had various bouts of cancer, I just wonder how many people coming here could self fund.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
There is Insurance and Insurance

We have Insurance, we also have a $5,000 deductible.

My mother has had various bouts of cancer, I just wonder how many people coming here could self fund.
You need liquid assets well into seven figures to self fund, imo. And even then, one serious and/or prolonged illness could wipe you out.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 4:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search of the threads...be madness though unless they were well minted being at that age...
Old Mar 4th 2008, 3:48 am
Just Joined

Oscarbd is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for responding. I did not think it would be easy to do. It's tearing my wife apart knowing her mom is pretty much alone, even though her siblings live close by. Whichever way it's a gamble.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for responding. I did not think it would be easy to do. It's tearing my wife apart knowing her mom is pretty much alone, even though her siblings live close by. Whichever way it's a gamble.
Just ask her to research how she would take care of her healthcare.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:40 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Bringing pensioner in-law to live with us

I have a friend (in her 50s - married, no kids, dual UK/US citizen) whose sister lives in Milan (single, no kids but always travelling with her job).

My friend sponsored her elderly widowed mother to come and live with her and her spouse. Her mother was at the time, 93 years old and the oldest person that the US Embassy in London had ever interviewed.

Her mother found it difficult to settle in New Jersey - she had no friends here, and although many of her friends in the UK had died, she still had a few left. She was by all accounts, a very intelligent and feisty/sprightly woman....but she kept her garden flat in the UK and made a couple of trips back there.

It's possible that she had a premonition/inkling that she was about to die, as she announced to my friend that she wanted to urgently return to the UK to "sort out papers." A couple of days after arriving in England, she suddenly became very ill (sounds dreadful, she had a twisted bowel) and although heavily sedated, died peacefully in an NHS hospital. My friend is currently arranging to sell her mother's flat in Warwickshire.

I know for sure that the old lady had health insurance in the US....I understand that it took a lot of trouble for my friend to arrange due to her mother's advanced years and it probably cost a lot of money. However, I could try and find out how she did it if you're still interested?
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

nadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to all

if my parents comes on a green card to usa -mother in late 50 and father in late 60- will it be possbile to get medicaid for them as they are green card holders?
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

lyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kins

you sound just like my son and daughter in law - they keep pestering us to move over to be near them. It is so good to feel wanted make sure your folks know that! But the insurance is a consideration but I was reading a thread on 'dive into america' re health insurance and its a long shot but when you have been paying NHS contributions it could be construed as already having continuos health care cover. it was uner a heading HIPPA & COBRA info including pre-existing conditions and I am not if i can add the link but here goes if it disappears please look at dive into america and searcch tha heading http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html worth a try
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

lyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura aboutlyndilou has a spectacular aura about

I have looked into doing this, as I have said before to live ourt son and daughter in law My daughter in law is American citizen my son a PLR at the momnet he is apply for citizenship then he can apply/sponsor us to go to live with them but they have to prove they can support us for 3 years at least. The citizenship is a must though as daughter in laws cannot sponsor in law parents. as regards health insurance please take a look at my previous message on this thread it is very informative
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lyndilou
you sound just like my son and daughter in law - they keep pestering us to move over to be near them. It is so good to feel wanted make sure your folks know that! But the insurance is a consideration but I was reading a thread on 'dive into america' re health insurance and its a long shot but when you have been paying NHS contributions it could be construed as already having continuos health care cover. it was uner a heading HIPPA & COBRA info including pre-existing conditions and I am not if i can add the link but here goes if it disappears please look at dive into america and searcch tha heading http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html worth a try
There have been threads on this in the past. Although this looks like it might work "in theory", in fact no one has been able to demonstrate a case "in fact". What the discussion has been about is -" is the NHS considered to meet the definition "creditable coverage" by the US commercial based health insurance companies for private health insurance. Possible that some foreign government's health care might qualify if it was insurance based (France?),
but the NHS isn't an insurance/reimbursement type program.

Last edited by farmerwife; Mar 4th 2008 at 9:33 pm. Reason: sp.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nadnad
if my parents comes on a green card to usa -mother in late 50 and father in late 60- will it be possbile to get medicaid for them as they are green card holders?
What would the basis of their 'green card' be?
For instance, if Family based, and an adult child sponsored them, Medicaid would be precluded as that sponsor would have submitted an Affadavit of Support as part of that sponsorship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.