Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing over my christmas whisky!

Bringing over my christmas whisky!

Old Dec 23rd 2013, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Cheshire in UK but soon to be an Expat....
dfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud of
Default Bringing over my christmas whisky!

Whats the advice on this,

Moving over to florida on the 4th Jan and looks like I will want to bring 4 or 5 unopened bottles of malt whisky with me, am I ok to fill in the application form to import alcohol and go through the red to declare channel when I get to the airport?

Anyone experience of this?

Thanks
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 4:11 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing over my christmas whisky!

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne

Moving over to florida on the 4th Jan and looks like I will want to bring 4 or 5 unopened bottles of malt whisky with me, am I ok to fill in the application form to import alcohol and go through the red to declare channel when I get to the airport?

Thanks
Yes, I've brought that much myself. Buy the whisky at duty-free at the airport or bring it in your checked baggage. At the port of entry, declare the booze and tell them you know you will have to pay duty. They are not going to give you a problem. You will pay a nominal duty at the side window and go on your way.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 4:30 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

ignore that one above it was meant to be in a new thread!
I thought it was a "Think outside the box" question .... I was going to suggest giving him a slug of the whisky you brought over ...
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 4:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Are you familiar with what happens at your US port of entry? If you are connecting via a US airport, your duty-free bottles will no longer be security-accepted, so you would have to put them into your checked baggage before you re-check it for your next flight.

If your port of entry in the US is your final stop, then you will be fine.

Not relevant to customs as such, but a surprising number of people get caught out by this.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

dfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud of

its just one direct flight and the bottles are xmas presents etc and will be in my checked baggage.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 4:52 pm
Ping-ponger

its just one direct flight and the bottles are xmas presents etc and will be in my checked baggage.
Probably teaching my granny to suck eggs, but from past experience*, I presume you will be using a hard-sided case, lots of packing, and waterproof Ziplock bags, or similar?

* I ended up having to chuck out a perfectly good bag and a whole load of clothes because I couldn't clean off the smell of coconut rum ... and it wasn't in my bag.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Which malt are you bringing?
Might be cheaper to buy here.

(It's not clear are you relocating or visiting? Still might be better gifting in the UK and buying here although if it's expensive hard to find malts I do completely understand.)
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 5:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

will be in my checked baggage.
Baggage handlers are in for a nice Christmas then.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

I am relocating and bringing my favourite whisky, ardbeg, talisker and knockando.

what is the choice like for malts?
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Danoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
We landed in Tampa yesterday with 5 bottles of spirits in checked in, and 1 bottle of duty free champagne. We just declared it on our customs form, and they joked we were going to have a party and waved us through wishing us a good Christmas.

Might depend on their mood, but I am not sure they think it's worth such a small amount.
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 11:16 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I am relocating and bringing my favourite whisky, ardbeg, talisker and knockando.

Our big liqueur chain (Specs) carries a wider range of single malts then were readily avaliable in Aberdeen. Often cheaper too.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Check the BevMo site also. (Although they aren't in every State.)
I've had no trouble finding single malts here in the US. It's a healthy market for distilleries. And often cheaper to buy.
Old Dec 24th 2013, 4:11 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

ardbeg and talisker are readily available. knockando prob be quite hard to find; if you like lochnager stock up on that as its not available over here.
it all depends on which distributors the liquor stores use as to what they are able to get, if its not on the shelf and its something they can get, most stores will be happy to get something in for you.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Chapmandan is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to drag this out of the past but i was searching and it made sense to add it here rather than start a new thread.

Does anyone have any experience of moving with a working spirit library? I have maybe 15 bottles of good single malt on the go in various states of emptiness and i'd really like to move them. The whole duty thing and importation is a niggle in my brain and i'm fairly sure i can't just chuck them in my case when i come over.

Do i need to bring what i can and then stash the rest with relatives and bring them back as i visit?
Ta!

BTW - very big on Port Charlotte right now for any whisky lovers out there
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 12:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I belive that bringing in opened bottles of alcohol is prohibited, though the chances of anyone noticing is relatively small. I brought a number of (mixed) cases of sealed bottles in my shipped household contents, and slipped a few almost-full ones in with them.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother even trying to bring bottles more than half empty, enjoy them before you come, and replace them with full bottles to bring with you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.