Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing our dog to Louisania

Bringing our dog to Louisania

Old Dec 21st 2016, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Bringing our dog to Louisania

Does anyone have any recommendations which company to use to transport our beloved Labrador from the UK to Schreveport area Louisiana.
Thankyou.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 10:01 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing our dog to Louisania

You bring him or her on the same plane as you in a dog crate in the hold. Contact the airline you are hoping to fly with.

And it's Shreveport, not Schreveport.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute

I apologise for the spelling mistake darn predictive txt Twinkle, I was thinking more of a professional animal outfit who will take care of paperwork, crate etc.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 11:17 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
You bring him or her on the same plane as you in a dog crate in the hold. Contact the airline you are hoping to fly with.

And it's Shreveport, not Schreveport.
Not really true, there are many airlines that will NOT carry pets, and many that have limits as to size and weight. It's really best to contact the various pet carriers and do it through them as they will know the correct crate sizes and be able to supply them, it's OK doing it yourself, but to get to the airport and find that you crate is just too small would be a disaster.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

We used www.petairuk.com and had no complaints at all!
Old Dec 21st 2016, 3:15 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Flying into Shreveport your options are Delta, AA or United. One of which I worked for in the UK. They all carry dogs. There are restrictions on temperature that you would need to consider (especially if going in the summer to Louisiana).

When are you going? I'm confused by your timeline. At the beginning of 2016 you were at the end of the NVC stage and waiting for interview for an EB-3 visa but last week you said you've been offered a job in Louisiana (which suggests you're at the beginning of the process). The usual cut-off temperature is 85 degrees and if the local weather is predicted to be that temp or higher on the day they won't transport the pet. So if you're going in the summer you would need to bear that in mind. .
Old Dec 21st 2016, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Twinkle we will be relocating to Louisania 15th April 2017. I have made enquiries today with Petair UK so I'm hoping they can arrange door to door for our Labrador.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 7:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I do hope you know that he will be a strictly indoor dog until he ever adjusts to summers in the south. 105 degrees with humidity of over 90 percent will be too hot for him to tolerate. So he will need to be inside in the a/c for most of 4-5 months per year.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarasota chic
Twinkle we will be relocating to Louisania 15th April 2017. I have made enquiries today with Petair UK so I'm hoping they can arrange door to door for our Labrador.
From what I understand, I don’t consider your plan pet friendly.
I have transported my pets across the pond many times.
IF, you have any care for your pet’s welfare, you will travel with them and not rely on some animal shipping company.
If there are long delays, weather, tech etc, at least you will be with them to organize exercise and nourishment.
Avoid multi sectors at all costs, animals go missing or lost the same as luggage and I would think not treated the same in your own care.