Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing my pussies to US

Bringing my pussies to US

Old Dec 17th 2005, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bringing my cats to US

Im planning on bringing my 2 cats to the states with me... but whats the best way to do it?
I have heared that US Airways has now stopped carrying livestock internationaly (dont know why, their cabins are getting worse.. maybe they think the pets are getting better seats than the passengers), so i was wondering if anyone knows of any good airlines that carry pets in the hold.... how much is it, what documents do they need (USairways only wanted a note from the vet saying they were healthy) etc etc etc.

Oh, and happy christmas everyone!

Last edited by basementwaj; Dec 17th 2005 at 2:03 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing my cats to US

Originally Posted by basementwaj
Im planning on bringing my 2 cats to the states with me... but whats the best way to do it?
I have heared that US Airways has now stopped carrying livestock internationaly (dont know why, their cabins are getting worse.. maybe they think the pets are getting better seats than the passengers), so i was wondering if anyone knows of any good airlines that carry pets in the hold.... how much is it, what documents do they need (USairways only wanted a note from the vet saying they were healthy) etc etc etc.

My friend used BA to bring his cat over and it was great (cat was a little shaken up but soon got back to normal) cost about 300GBP i think and you need loads of docs from the vet that no one actually looked at. Was surprised how little attention was paid by customs etc! I think there was something that he had to land in final destination but cant remember as BA do direct to DFW. Would be worth calling BA and the vets to see what the score is. Good luck!
Old Dec 17th 2005, 2:37 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing my pussies to US

Just don't call them 'pussy' once you get here. My mum still hasn't learned.
Old Dec 17th 2005, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

we used BA - 400GBP to LA for both Cats in one box- its all on their website - tons of rules around the container size , papers (which no-one looks at) etc .. cats where fine and spend their lives eating baby lizards now :scared: if I remember some of the jabs have to done a fair few months before travel and you need them chipping
Old Dec 17th 2005, 3:57 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Our Experience
Old Dec 17th 2005, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
we used BA - 400GBP to LA for both Cats in one box- its all on their website - tons of rules around the container size , papers (which no-one looks at) etc .. cats where fine and spend their lives eating baby lizards now :scared: if I remember some of the jabs have to done a fair few months before travel and you need them chipping
Have they definately got to be chipped????
I hadnt heared that before but i guess it makes sense. They have all their jabs up to date, and as they are house cats they are in great shape.
Did that 400quid include the box they flew in???
Old Dec 17th 2005, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Patrick
Very useful!!!!! where do you get the airline approved cat box from?
did your cat have to be chipped?????

Thanks for that
Old Dec 17th 2005, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

Have they definately got to be chipped????
I hadnt heared that before but i guess it makes sense. They have all their jabs up to date, and as they are house cats they are in great shape.
Did that 400quid include the box they flew in???

yep we where told they needed chipping and the box (because we wanted them to travel together) was 150 quid on top ! - when we got to the airport (having followed the rules to the letter) BA told us it was too big ! great moment , me screaming at some BA person whilst 50 of the wife's family wail in the background. Better still we got to the other end (after an emotional 11 hour flight) nobody even looked at the cat papers and the company had sent a sedan to pick us up even though they knew we had 7 cases, a 4 by 4 cat cage and a stroller..... ahh happy times
Old Dec 17th 2005, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for that

let me dig out the cat box company we used
Old Dec 17th 2005, 5:29 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that
No to the chips

We got it on vacation to the states so that we could ask someone
Old Dec 17th 2005, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for that
here you go... we got the Vari kennel

http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/ero...d+cat+cages+uk
Old Dec 17th 2005, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Eskimo
here you go... we got the Vari kennel

http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/ero...d+cat+cages+uk
thanks guys.. big karma to you both (but it wont let me cos i need to spread some around some more)
Old Dec 17th 2005, 7:55 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

4 cats to Cleveland from Edinburgh cost a fair bit as we ued a third party to handle it all for us (we had enough on our plate with the rest of the move ). Went Continental cargo, seemed relatively unscathed. Didn't need chipping. I think it was worth the money apart from the 5am wakeup calls for food
Old Dec 17th 2005, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul S
4 cats to Cleveland from Edinburgh cost a fair bit as we ued a third party to handle it all for us (we had enough on our plate with the rest of the move ). Went Continental cargo, seemed relatively unscathed. Didn't need chipping. I think it was worth the money apart from the 5am wakeup calls for food
Which company did you use and would you use them again? We've got two cats and it's possible that at some point in the next couple of years we are going to have to move back to the UK.

I've looked at a few companies but I'd prefer to go with one that I had a good recommendation for.

Also, how much is a fair bit?
Old Dec 18th 2005, 2:04 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

It cost us hardly anything to put our dog on the plane (American Airlines), we followed all the vet guidelines about jabs etc & no one even looked at the papers. We didn't chip her either. They took her at check in & she was there waiting for us when we went to get our bags, she was a bit shaken, but then again, she's a big ole whip Boxer dawg!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.