Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing money from the UK to the US.

Bringing money from the UK to the US.

Old May 19th 2011, 2:19 am
a72
Just Joined

a72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bringing money from the UK to the US.

You could always divvy the total up into tranches of 9k or less
Old May 19th 2011, 6:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a72
You could always divvy the total up into tranches of 9k or less
And then you'd be in for more of a chance for a audit for money laundering and it'll still be reported.

There's nothing wrong with sending your own money in anyway, so why bother with the hassle when it's a none issue?
Old May 19th 2011, 8:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a72
Actually 9k is the limit before the irs get notified
The amount is 'in excess of $10,000' and it's reported to Customs, not the IRS.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/..._reporting.pdf
Old May 20th 2011, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Peteusa will become famous soon enoughPeteusa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by meauxna

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/..._reporting.pdf

Good Grief! Just when I think I'm getting somewhere, it now appears that I have to get involved with the US Customs! Isnt that something that Chase Bank (US) would do?
Old May 20th 2011, 12:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peteusa
Good Grief! Just when I think I'm getting somewhere, it now appears that I have to get involved with the US Customs! Isnt that something that Chase Bank (US) would do?
Chase Bank... I wouldn't trust them to make me a cuppa tea. US Banks are nothing like UK banks.
Old May 20th 2011, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Peteusa will become famous soon enoughPeteusa will become famous soon enough

No I agree, but this is the first time that anyone has mentioned the US Customs. I dont mind doing the right thing to get this sorted, including filling out a form if I have to. I just cant understand why this hasnt come up before.
Old May 20th 2011, 12:54 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

No I agree, but this is the first time that anyone has mentioned the US Customs. I dont mind doing the right thing to get this sorted, including filling out a form if I have to. I just cant understand why this hasnt come up before.
Because despite the mocking, the bank does it for you automatically if you do a wire transfer. It's invisible to the customer (you).

Jerseygirl, have you had a problem with Chase or any bank not completing the money transfer paperwork for you?
Old May 20th 2011, 1:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Because despite the mocking, the bank does it for you automatically if you do a wire transfer. It's invisible to the customer (you).

Jerseygirl, have you had a problem with Chase or any bank not completing the money transfer paperwork for you?
I have good reason to point the finger at Chase's incompetence. I'm not saying they have not informed the authorities...but I have had problems with them. I also know others who have had problems with other US banks when it comes to transferring money.
Old May 20th 2011, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

If you "physically" transport/carry funds or financial instruments, you must complete the form at Customs as you land in the US. Wire transfers > $10K are reported by the bank electronically as part of their compliance procedures. There are millions filed every day and are not filed because of suspicion, purely for record keeping. It is the SARs which are the suspicious activity reports which pick up patterns or anomalies, usually initially by software, then followed up with staff research and investigation. I used to do this for an investment bank which was very interesting. I must have filed upwards of 500 SARs.
Also had the pleasure of having lunch with the head of FinCEN about 3 years ago, complete accident - dining alone and he asked if he could join me..very interesting couple of hours.
Totally agree about Chase - will be glad to get back to the East Coast and banking with Wachovia/WF.
Old May 20th 2011, 2:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Orangepants
If you "physically" transport/carry funds or financial instruments, you must complete the form at Customs as you land in the US. Wire transfers > $10K are reported by the bank electronically as part of their compliance procedures. There are millions filed every day and are not filed because of suspicion, purely for record keeping. It is the SARs which are the suspicious activity reports which pick up patterns or anomalies, usually initially by software, then followed up with staff research and investigation. I used to do this for an investment bank which was very interesting. I must have filed upwards of 500 SARs.
Also had the pleasure of having lunch with the head of FinCEN about 3 years ago, complete accident - dining alone and he asked if he could join me..very interesting couple of hours.
Totally agree about Chase - will be glad to get back to the East Coast and banking with Wachovia/WF.
There's no doubt about it...banking in the US is light years behind the UK. Oh and Chase...we have an allocated personal Chase banker and I still consider them incompetent and unprofessional.
Old May 20th 2011, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, while Customs may be collecting the information, they're doing so on behalf of the US Treasury Department. It's the Treasury that requires the information to ensure people comply with RICO laws.

Ian
Old May 20th 2011, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Just to clarify, while Customs may be collecting the information, they're doing so on behalf of the US Treasury Department. It's the Treasury that requires the information to ensure people comply with RICO laws.

Ian
I know.