Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing Money into the US

Bringing Money into the US

Old Feb 1st 2007, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Jonah20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing Money into the US

Are there any regulations I need to be aware of about transferring funds from the UK to US?

Would I be liable for tax and have to declare it here in the US? Thanks for your input

Last edited by Jonah20; Feb 1st 2007 at 8:38 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 6:44 pm
Banned

Reverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bringing Money into the US

Originally Posted by Jonah20
Are there any regulations I need to be aware of about transferring funds from the UK to US?
I don't think so. As long as it's coming in a black briefcase and being handled by Big Vinnie, I think it's fine.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 7:21 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you show up at a US bank with over $10,000 in cash, they will have a money laundering form for you to fill out. Not sure if there are any Customs issues with a large wad of cash (though if > $10k, you may have a form there as well).

No issues doing wire transfers, if that is what you had in mind.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 7:32 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I did this recently when buying a car. A had a cheque in UK pounds sent to me.

Check with your bank because my thieving US checking bank (1st Bank of Colorado) was going to take 3% of the money as a fee.

I eventually did it with Bellco, my credit union, which converted the money for free. No fee. Credit unions +1
Old Feb 1st 2007, 7:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

All tranfers and bank deposit of over $10K are reported to the Fed ...
Some rumors say its now $5k

any amount over $10k must be declared at customs ..they could seize it otherwise
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I did this recently when buying a car. A had a cheque in UK pounds sent to me.

Check with your bank because my thieving US checking bank (1st Bank of Colorado) was going to take 3% of the money as a fee.

I eventually did it with Bellco, my credit union, which converted the money for free. No fee. Credit unions +1
You are much better having the funds convereted in the UK and sent as a Dollar transfer.

What rate did you get from Bellco is of course the big question.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Would I be liable for tax and have to declare it here in the US? Thanks for your input
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

No idea of your current status to tell .....
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
No idea of your current status to tell .....
I'm a legal resident (ie green card holder)
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends on what status you are on in the US...
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a legal resident (ie green card holder)
then it would depend on how you got the cash in the first place...but you have to declare worldwide assets to the IRS all the same.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:14 am
Just Joined

pattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nicepattiecake is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
then it would depend on how you got the cash in the first place...but you have to declare worldwide assets to the IRS all the same.
So Bob - as you seem to be the most sensible person on here - which bank do you suggest to use and can you open one online before arriving in the States? Any ideas?
Old Feb 4th 2007, 1:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pattiecake
So Bob - as you seem to be the most sensible person on here - which bank do you suggest to use and can you open one online before arriving in the States? Any ideas?
You will have to go into the bank in person...although the baking laws may differ from state to state. You can only open an on-line bank account eg ING Direct in the country you are residing in. You could open one in the UK then transfer it across to the US once you are here.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Heres a new twist. I know that the proceeds from the sale of my house in the UK are non taxable in the US because I haven't been an LPR long enough...BUT...how long can I keep the dosh in the UK before I decide (if ever) to transfer it into the US?

Also, my dad passed away last year and left me a few quid......in cash and property....its all been through probate and finalised by the UK solicitor, taxes paid etc. As the tax has been paid to the Inland Revenue I take it that the IRS cant get there greedy thieving stinking paws on it....right or wrong.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Heres a new twist. I know that the proceeds from the sale of my house in the UK are non taxable in the US because I haven't been an LPR long enough...BUT...how long can I keep the dosh in the UK before I decide (if ever) to transfer it into the US?

Also, my dad passed away last year and left me a few quid......in cash and property....its all been through probate and finalised by the UK solicitor, taxes paid etc. As the tax has been paid to the Inland Revenue I take it that the IRS cant get there greedy thieving stinking paws on it....right or wrong.
I think you can keep your money in the UK as long as you want. We've certainly got money over there. You do have to declare any interest on it and any overseas account that's had more that $10K at any one time to the IRS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.