Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing guns to America...I know, but I can't let them go.

Bringing guns to America...I know, but I can't let them go.

Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

WW99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing guns to America...I know, but I can't let them go.

I am emigrating from London to NYC in Feb 2013 and would like to know what the process is for bringing my 2 shotguns over with me - if at all possible.

I am a UK national coming over on a L2 with my Australian wife on a L1. If there is any other info you need to help with the advice then I shall get back to you.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing guns to America...I know, but I can't let them go.

I recall this thread from last year had a lot of useful info in it

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=gun+import
Old Dec 7th 2012, 8:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My husband brought his in from Canada. Had to go through the firearms, alcohol ... blah, blah, blah for the approval.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 1:53 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WW99
I am emigrating from London to NYC in Feb 2013 and would like to know what the process is for bringing my 2 shotguns over with me - if at all possible.
It certainly is possible, bear in mind the procedure for temporary imports and permanent imports is totally different and the procedure for temporary imports changed in June as well so you will see a lot of confusing information on the web.

This is how you do it for permanent imports (and no other way):

You must import them prior to establishing residency in a State. This is because under 18 USC 922(a)(1)(A) interstate transfers of firearms are generally illegal (the main exception being between dealers), so if you become resident you then have to employ the services of a licensed dealer.

So you apply in triplicate on Form 6 Part 1 - not Form 6NIA. This costs nothing. http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-3a.pdf - note point #8 in the instructions. In answer to question 10, put non-resident alien importing firearms permanently for sporting use.

When you get to the POE, you tell the CBP inspector you have firearms with you and are permanently importing them and give him/her the permit as well as Form 6A (ATF includes this with the approved permit). This is the release form.

Note that permanent means permanently - you cannot permanently remove them from the US again unless you obtain an approved DSP-5 export licence, and in order to do that you have to find someone who is AECA registered who can apply for it.

Note that NYC has its own licensing system for shotguns and rifles which is very similar to the shotgun certificate in GB. http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pe...ormation.shtml - according to that you must be an LPR to get a permit which sounds a bit ridiculous, if that's true you'd have to leave them outside the city.

There's no particular reason why you can't leave them with a dealer in NYC while you apply. However you'll have to go through all the registration and 4473 paperwork to pick them up after you get the permit.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 7:20 am
Just Joined

WW99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sir_eccles, Steve, thank you. All of the information that I tried to find before my eyes started bleeding last time is here.

Unfortunately I am moving to NYC, so it looks like I shall have to find a friendly gun smith to import them for me in the first instance. I do no want to et arrested when I land, like some poor chap in the other thread did!

Thank you again, and i am sure that once my wife and I are settled I shall be back to see if there are any expat shooting clubs in or near NYC.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 12:44 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Sir_eccles, Steve, thank you. All of the information that I tried to find before my eyes started bleeding last time is here.

Unfortunately I am moving to NYC, so it looks like I shall have to find a friendly gun smith to import them for me in the first instance. I do no want to et arrested when I land, like some poor chap in the other thread did!

Thank you again, and i am sure that once my wife and I are settled I shall be back to see if there are any expat shooting clubs in or near NYC.
Just for anyone reading this thread, I wanted to mention that any firearms brought aboard an airplane must be checked baggage, locked in a secure case (the specific characteristics of the secure case are important and must meet regulations), declared at check-in, and marked prominently as firearms. You can find the exact rules on lots of websites; since these change with time I'm not providing a link--Google is your friend.

That said, I know people who purchase a cheap starter pistol, never load it, and use it basically as a prop in their checked baggage to make sure it is given extra special handling by airline staff and kept private from the TSA, who as of the last time I checked were not allowed to open baggage so marked
Old Dec 8th 2012, 3:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Just for anyone reading this thread, I wanted to mention that any firearms brought aboard an airplane must be checked baggage, locked in a secure case (the specific characteristics of the secure case are important and must meet regulations), declared at check-in, and marked prominently as firearms. You can find the exact rules on lots of websites; since these change with time I'm not providing a link--Google is your friend.

That said, I know people who purchase a cheap starter pistol, never load it, and use it basically as a prop in their checked baggage to make sure it is given extra special handling by airline staff and kept private from the TSA, who as of the last time I checked were not allowed to open baggage so marked
Also make sure you know the law re firearms for the state/s you are travelling in. I remember a member posting that a relative had landed in New York and was arrested for not having a NY firearms licence. Can't remember whether this happened at the airport or away from the airport...but he had only just arrived in NY.
Old Dec 8th 2012, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
I know people who purchase a cheap starter pistol, never load it, and use it basically as a prop in their checked baggage to make sure it is given extra special handling by airline staff and kept private from the TSA, who as of the last time I checked were not allowed to open baggage so marked
Damn, that's brilliant!

Ian
Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I am moving to NYC, so it looks like I shall have to find a friendly gun smith to import them for me in the first instance.
Dealers in the US are generally not familiar with the import procedures and they generally don't want to do it if they are because they have to go in person to the airport with the Form 6A to fetch them and that is a whole day of waiting for CBP to do the clearance. Dealers are only allowed to do "occasional" imports. This is because imports are generally done by licensed importers. The problem with using a licensed importer is that they have to stamp the gun with their name and address. So basically it makes more sense to bring it with you and leave it with a dealer (FFL) once you get there. But I'd check with NYCPD before you do that, there is an exemption for people in transit and whatnot in their laws.

I have to say all the keen shooters I know in the NYC area live in Connecticut because of the gun laws in NY and NJ being so tough.

Last edited by Steve_; Dec 10th 2012 at 5:26 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Damn, that's brilliant!
I've done that, but with real guns. All of a sudden you're a VIP. You have to pick and choose the situation though, depends on the airport and where you're going.

One time I did it they got so carried away that they forgot to load my other suitcase that had the rest of my stuff in it, put it on the wrong cart or something.