Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing food back into the US

Bringing food back into the US

Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:08 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing food back into the US

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I know about the steaming part. I've got a recipe for Christmas pudding (Delia) but I want something simpler.

Thanks for the trouble.
No problem - I'll get my Mum to type it out and email it to me, then I'll just copy and paste it to you. I know how to avoid hard work - pass it on to someone else
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:09 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Ok, will pm you when I've got it from her. From what I remember, you had to steam it for a couple of hours, but it was well worth the wait!
Darlin, custard is creme anglaise and IS custard - the shit that you want is not 'proper' custard! I can get my SIL to bring some in a couple of weeks if you want?
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:12 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Darlin, custard is creme anglaise and IS custard - the shit that you want is not 'proper' custard! I can get my SIL to bring some in a couple of weeks if you want?
Yes! Yes! Yes! Big tub of Birds please!

I wanna make cwumble. Don' care if 's proper or not.

I'm gonna snog you when I see you.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:22 am

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes! Yes! Yes! Big tub of Birds please!

I wanna make cwumble. Don' care if 's proper or not.

I'm gonna snog you when I see you.
I'll email her forthwith.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:23 am

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

But I want to make my own!!!

Please, someone put me out of my misery and tell me how to make custard without custard powder
yes, someone please put a recipe for custard on, I want to make some too!!
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:35 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Hard cheese is OK ... my stock of extra mature cheddar is dwindling though ....
Do you share with the local rodents?

NC Penguin
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:36 am

For the crème anglaise
290ml/½ pint milk
1 vanilla pod, split
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp sugar.

To make the crème anglaise, heat the milk and vanilla pod until almost boiling.
Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl.
Add the milk, stirring all the time.
Return the mixture to a pan and heat and stir until it thickens.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:49 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by Shahlax
yes, someone please put a recipe for custard on, I want to make some too!!
Big spoonful of Birds custard powder, big spoonful of sugar and a pint of milk

None of this mashed up vanilla pod crap
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:52 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chandler
We are going home to the UK in September and my wife wants to bring back lots of food that she has missed things like, Ribena, gravy granules, Paxo etc - Has anyone had any problems bringing stuff in before

Any advice would be appreciated

Chandler
I once landed at LAX completely pissed with 2 lbs each of smoked bacon and beef sausage that my Mom got me. The customs guy binned the lot after searching my carry-on luggage.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:54 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by lionheart
I once landed at LAX completely pissed with 2 lbs each of smoked bacon and beef sausage that my Mom got me. The customs guy binned the lot after searching my carry-on luggage.
Presumably in case your sausage got loose and spread BSE to all the wild Californian sausages?
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:56 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably in case your sausage got loose and spread BSE to all the wild Californian sausages?
Are you trying to imply I have intercourse with pigs?
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:57 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Are you trying to imply I have intercourse with pigs?
I thought it was a beef sausage...

but by all means come clean about the pigs. We'll tackle the cows later.

Reminds me of a famous Gazza quote... "all these sheep and no bacon?"
Old Aug 17th 2005, 1:00 am
Banned

I thought it was a beef sausage...

but by all means come clean about the pigs. We'll tackle the cows later.

Reminds me of a famous Gazza quote... "all these sheep and no bacon?"
There's nothing clean about the pigs, that's why I like them. As far as us tackling the cows - you get it in a headlock and I'll concentrate on the hindquarters.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 1:03 am
Return of bouncing girl!

There's nothing clean about the pigs, that's why I like them. As far as us tackling the cows - you get it in a headlock and I'll concentrate on the hindquarters.
Just stick its back legs down your wellies. You'll need to tie its tail out of the way as well.

Or so I've been told.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 1:12 am

Just stick its back legs down your wellies. You'll need to tie its tail out of the way as well.

Or so I've been told.
Pull it's front legs up towards you then you can kiss it while you are doing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.