Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bringing food back into the US

Bringing food back into the US

Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:28 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Default Bringing food back into the US

We are going home to the UK in September and my wife wants to bring back lots of food that she has missed things like, Ribena, gravy granules, Paxo etc - Has anyone had any problems bringing stuff in before

Any advice would be appreciated

Chandler
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:35 pm
Going home at last

dragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to all
Default Re: Bringing food back into the US

If I remember you cannot bring in fruit ,vegtables and meat especially beef products, pork and I think also chicken and lamb. This is to do with BSE,and foot and mouth. I am not sure the reasons behind chicken or lamb
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Bringing food back into the US

I had no problem at all! I recently brought back the following:

8 x 150 PG-Tips tea bags
8 x Jars of Nutella
2 x 7 packs of Hula-Hoops
4 x Twin boxes of Jaffa-Cakes
4 x 5 packs of Galaxy Ripple
4 x 4 packs of Double Decker
4 x 4 packs of Cadburys Flake
4 x 4 packs of Frys Turkish Delight
4 x 9 pack of Penguins
12 x Cadburys Praline Flake
2 different type of Indian snacks (like Bombay Mix)
2 different types of Indian cooking flour
1 different type of India cooking lentil

(Most of the above has already been given away!)
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:58 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dragonfly
If I remember you cannot bring in fruit ,vegtables and meat especially beef products, pork and I think also chicken and lamb. This is to do with BSE,and foot and mouth. I am not sure the reasons behind chicken or lamb
We are avoiding meat and fresh fruit. List:

Oxo cubes (beef, veg, chicken)
Bisto
Paxo Stuffing
Fajita seasoning
Nann bead
Soy Sauce
Crisps (square and sweet chilli)
Chocolate (varous)
Ribena
Lucozade
Old Aug 14th 2005, 2:05 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Originally Posted by DEE_UK
I had no problem at all! I recently brought back the following:

8 x 150 PG-Tips tea bags
8 x Jars of Nutella
4 x 9 pack of Penguins

(Most of the above has already been given away!)
do you miss your chocolate by any chance?!!

Thanks for the info!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Bringing food back into the US

Originally Posted by Chandler
do you miss your chocolate by any chance?!!

Thanks for the info!
Just a little bit! American choclate is not the same as British chocolate. Its the same wherever you go I guess, the ingredients differ slightly based on the climate of the country the product is intended for. Same for face/body creams...
Old Aug 14th 2005, 4:13 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Bisto
Paxo Stuffing
Fajita seasoning
Nann bead
Soy Sauce
Chocolate (varous)
Ribena
Lucozade
Any items that contain meat derivatives shouldn't be brought into the States. The items I highlighted in bold probably have such ingredients.

Are there no Indian or Asian (Chinese/Japanese/Korean) grocery stores in your area? Wait a minute, you live or work in Manhattan. Go to Chinatown and Koreatown. I'm sure you'll find soy sauce there...

I'm really surprised you can't buy soy sauce and local Indian shops may sell chocolate, Ribena and Lucozade (I know some in my area do).

NC Penguin

Last edited by NC Penguin; Aug 14th 2005 at 4:25 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 4:21 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

We are going home to the UK in September and my wife wants to bring back lots of food that she has missed things like, Ribena, gravy granules, Paxo etc - Has anyone had any problems bringing stuff in before

Any advice would be appreciated

Chandler
I just came back a few weeks ago with Colemans Mustard, HobNobs etc (the very staples of life!). Declared them on the back of the customs card - and the lady at Immigration couldnt have been less interested. I said they were all prepackaged and she stamped me through. The guy at Customs wasnt even looking at the card.

So - i think you should be fine based on my experience!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

debbie#1 will become famous soon enoughdebbie#1 will become famous soon enough

Bisto
Paxo Stuffing
Fajita seasoning
Nann bead
Soy Sauce
Chocolate (varous)
Ribena
Lucozade

You wont have a problem with any of the above - just make sure you pack the glass well. As for the soy sauce - you can get that here.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:20 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Catering bottles of HP Sauce, Heinz salad cream and packets of Dumpling mix, usually make their way back with me, I still can't find anything resembling vegetable suet over here, I tried Matzo ball mix, but it's not the same
Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:21 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
I just came back a few weeks ago with Colemans Mustard, HobNobs etc (the very staples of life!). Declared them on the back of the customs card - and the lady at Immigration couldnt have been less interested. I said they were all prepackaged and she stamped me through. The guy at Customs wasnt even looking at the card.

So - i think you should be fine based on my experience!
Have you got any supermarkets from the Safeway chain there Carl? They stock Colemans English mustard
Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I think dairy products aren't allowed either.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 6:48 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Really? Wouldn't that include chocolate? I've brought in loads of chocolate on past trips to the UK and my Mum is always sending me Maltesers through the mail.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 14th 2005, 6:58 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEE_UK
8 x 150 PG-Tips tea bags
8 x Jars of Nutella
4 x 9 pack of Penguins
Was this your entire baggage allowance (size and weight?!)!!! You can buy Nutella here, which is probably the heaviest thing.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 6:58 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Can't be -- just think of all the exported cheese available to buy here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.