Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bridget Jones.....

Bridget Jones.....

Old Jan 24th 2005, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of
Default Bridget Jones.....

So excited to see this on TV tonight...hadn't reckoned on the massive amount of censoring though!! Somehow bits of it are definitely lost in translation!!
Old Jan 24th 2005, 1:49 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bridget Jones.....

Originally Posted by Lottie
hadn't reckoned on the massive amount of censoring though!!!
Not been here long then?
Old Jan 24th 2005, 3:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

unless it's a subscription channel, things get butchered to buggery, hardly can ever stand to watch a movie on tv over here, if nothing else, its' the adds that make a movie an all night event, so you have more patience than me
Old Jan 24th 2005, 4:16 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
unless it's a subscription channel, things get butchered to buggery, hardly can ever stand to watch a movie on tv over here, if nothing else, its' the adds that make a movie an all night event, so you have more patience than me
And I don't understand this. Clinton had them put the V-Chip in the TVs so the family could protect junior from real life with a simple password on the remote. So why not tell the parents to use that feature instead of censoring for all?
Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
And I don't understand this. Clinton had them put the V-Chip in the TVs so the family could protect junior from real life with a simple password on the remote. So why not tell the parents to use that feature instead of censoring for all?
Because that would be the smart thing to do....never seen much about the use of the v-chip though....and don't know why they don't have a watershed idea either...
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Because that would be the smart thing to do....never seen much about the use of the v-chip though....and don't know why they don't have a watershed idea either...
because that would be the sensible thing to do....you can't look at a womans breasts on t.v.....but you can go to walmart buy a gun.......now weres the sense in that
Old Jan 24th 2005, 11:32 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmals
because that would be the sensible thing to do....you can't look at a womans breasts on t.v.....but you can go to walmart buy a gun.......now weres the sense in that
They never bother to cut out the graphic images of bodies on shows like CSI and Law and Order either.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 12:22 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

I was astounded to see that the Exorcist was on yesterday afternoon around 1500. I can't imagine that they would not have cut it to bits though.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 12:41 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
So excited to see this on TV tonight...hadn't reckoned on the massive amount of censoring though!! Somehow bits of it are definitely lost in translation!!
Best thing to do, to avoid ruining your viewing pleasure, is simply not to watch any films on TV (applies to cinema movies that are broadcast on the small screen) and rent them on video/DVD. This means you'll see the film as it was released in the cinema and not butchered and censored to bits...

NC Penguin
Old Jan 24th 2005, 2:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by emmals
Can't even see an arse crack...
Old Jan 24th 2005, 2:45 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Can't even see an arse crack...
LMAO!!! "wipe coffee of computer desk!!" WTF!!! That's it then I'm never gonna watch another movie on T.V again!!!

in all seriousness though I actually get really worked up about this crap....they cut violent grown up movies to pieces and show the same version at 11 a.m that they do at 1 a.m!! WTF!!!!

oh but there's still plenty of violence to scare a kid but the movie's bloody ruined for the average adult!!! drives me potty!! Doh!! don't show the movie until after 9 or 10 p.m then show it in it's entirity...if a small child is up after then , then that's their parents responsibility!!

and what's with not being allowed to see a butt crack but you can see some geezer on a mad shooting spree....it's bonkers!!!

the other day, while Nickelodeon was on during the afternoon a commercial for that movie Electra came on.....What are they thinking?? imbeciles!!!!! the most violent parts too...definitly not suitable for kids ...it was shown between something like Little Bill FFS!!!

Now I'm just getting worked up!! So many things are topsy turvy in this country I really do feel like I'm taking crazy pills!!

oh yeah just remembered why oh why when we're watching a movie....some parts cut....do we see say a crazy gunman killing screaming people while the worst curse word we're allowed to hear is "Oh sugar!!"....it's a world gone mad I tell you ....MAAAAAAAAD!!!!!

Last edited by Celtic_Angel; Jan 24th 2005 at 2:48 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 3:48 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It seemed that when I was back in the UK over Christmas that there were swear words being beeped out after the watershed - is the UK starting to become more like the US? I thought it very strange - the show was just after 9pm though so perhaps there are different levels of watershed now or they just changed the time completely.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Excuse me for butting in and showing my ignorance here, but I just wanted to clarify what you all mean by 'watershed'? I'm thinking it means that tv channels can show violent movies/not bleep out cuss words/have nudity on movies after a specific time??
Old Jan 24th 2005, 4:10 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Excuse me for butting in and showing my ignorance here, but I just wanted to clarify what you all mean by 'watershed'? I'm thinking it means that tv channels can show violent movies/not bleep out cuss words/have nudity on movies after a specific time??
In the UK, all channels can show violence and swearing after a set time (9pm - at least it used to be). This is generally accepted as a time that young children would not be watching TV unsupervised, and adults are the main audience. It's up to parents if they allow their children to watch TV after this time, and to be in control of what they watch. The channels can still get in trouble after this time for showing truly offensive material though.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I think in the UK they're a bit leery of using language too graphic just after the 9pm watershed in case anyone's still in the the process of getting their kids off to bed...after 10pm (as I remember) anything goes....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.