Bridges

Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bridges

Originally Posted by britvic
You must watch it, I'm telling you now, you will cry your heart out
OMG everyone's got a stammer tonight.

Yes you must watch it Doris...you will cry your eyes out...'cos its so boring and you've wasted so much time in the hope it would get better.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:39 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OMG everyone's got a stammer tonight.

Yes you must watch it Doris...you will cry your eyes out...'cos its so boring and you've wasted so much time in the hope it would get better.
Oh no!
That happened recently with a film called "The Black Dahlia".
Couldn't wait to see it but missed it at the cinema. I think it was by the same person who made LA Confidential, which I really enjoyed.
We rented the DVD and we couldn't understand what was happening or what anyone was saying.My daughter watched it with us and we just kept stopping the film to try and work out what was going on and none of us could.. It was the most abysmal film I have seen in ages.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is definitely the Verrazano Bridge...linking Brooklyn with Staten Island. The Golden Gate's not bad either.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I hope it isn't catching.

Bridge over Madison is such a wonderful story - very sad...but in a good way.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I like walking across the very narrow bridges that cross the Delaware River - Washington Crossing, New Hope-Lambertville etc. Driving over them is a bit of a nightmare as there is only just enough room for 2 cars to pass.

The Delaware Memorial Bridge is quite impressive.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:13 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Down here we like bridges that are easy on those who fear heights, like the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge at Taos (clickie biggie):

or bridges with a load rating to please everybody, such as the Glenwoody Bridge near Pilar:

View from the side: clicky
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:51 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I just realized I haven't seen many bridges (crossing rivers at least) in NC. I guess they're mostly in the west of the state...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I just realized I haven't seen many bridges (crossing rivers at least) in NC. I guess they're mostly in the west of the state...

NC Penguin
You must come to NYC then....we've got loads of them here.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

London Bridge at Lake havasu is very nice Still can't get over the amount of money the fellow paid to buy it, have it shipped over and built... can't think how much it was now, will have to look it up.

We have a little bridge over a boggy bay with a small baordwalk to one of the beaches...it's very sweet, but has no hand rails and seems a bit daunting walking along it, it's about six feet wide, and you think about it not being very pleasant if you slipped off and ended up in the water.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 3:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Highest Suspension Bridge

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:38 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Oh no!
That happened recently with a film called "The Black Dahlia".
Couldn't wait to see it but missed it at the cinema. I think it was by the same person who made LA Confidential, which I really enjoyed.
We rented the DVD and we couldn't understand what was happening or what anyone was saying.My daughter watched it with us and we just kept stopping the film to try and work out what was going on and none of us could.. It was the most abysmal film I have seen in ages.
But a true story
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 5:42 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You must come to NYC then....we've got loads of them here.
Seen and been on a few. You're part of the "bridge and tunnel" brigade, eh?

NC Penguin
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Seen and been on a few. You're part of the "bridge and tunnel" brigade, eh?

NC Penguin
Oh yes. Although tunnels are a remarkable fete of engineering...there's not a lot to see...give me bridges any day.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Boiler
Highest Suspension Bridge

Where is that? It looks like an artist's impression to me.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:45 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
The Eads bridge in St. Louis, mo. I like the history behind it.

Information below taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eads_Bridge

There's more on the History of the bridge on the link above.

The bridge is named for its designer and builder, Captain James B. Eads. When completed in 1874, the Eads Bridge was the longest bridge in the world[citation needed], with an overall length of 6,442 feet (1,964 m). The ribbed steel arch spans were considered daring, as was the use of steel as a primary structural material. The steel came from Andrew Carnegie on behalf of the Keystone Steel Company, the first such use of steel in a major bridge project and the beginning of Carnegie's extremely successful career in steel.[citation needed]

The Eads Bridge was also the first bridge to be built using cantilever support methods exclusively, and one of the first to make use of pneumatic caissons. The Eads Bridge caissons, still among the deepest ever sunk, were responsible for one of the first major outbreaks of "caisson disease" (also known as "the bends"), and thirteen workers died.[citation needed]

The Eads Bridge is still in use, and stands on the St. Louis riverfront between Laclede's Landing on the north and the grounds of the Gateway Arch to the south. Today the road deck has been restored, allowing vehicle and pedestrian traffic to cross the river. The rail deck has been in use for the St. Louis Metrolink light rail line since 1993.
Aye, a beautiful piece of art, and an engineering marvel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.