Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brevard County, FL. Opinions on areas

Brevard County, FL. Opinions on areas

Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:24 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future
Default Brevard County, FL. Opinions on areas

There must be a ton of people on here who live in Brevard County, Fl....

I'm looking for opinions on the area after spending more time than I should have looking at the various websites.

I'm already visa'd up and currently live in Upstate NY. I'm looking for the usual suspects when considering a 'life move':

- nice community area
- good schools
- close (ish) to Florida tech for commuting
- not going to drown from global climate change or a tsunami

After my research I've been leaning towards somewhere north of Melbourne, like Merritt Island, or to the south west, like Palm bay...

... or, please tell me if I should stay up on the canadian border.

Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:37 pm

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future
Default Re: Brevard County, FL. Opinions on areas

bump....

going down to have a look around in a few weeks.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan B
bump....

going down to have a look around in a few weeks.
And what exactly is wrong with Rochester?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

For the school info, try using "great schools.com" I have been using it quite a lot lately, it gives out lots of good info and also parent/student reviews

For area info, try CityData.com, you can usually get most of the details you need from that site...Good luck and don't forget to check into weather forecasts before your trip, this is the time of year for 'unsettled' weather in FL
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by CitySimon
And what exactly is wrong with Rochester?
I love Rochester, but my current "employer" has a hiring/promotion freeze and they won't put me in a permanent position, so my job is not secure. I say "employer", I really mean "the tight fisted idiots that take half my grant money and spend it on hiring other idiots, even though there is a hiring freeze"
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Englishtart
For the school info, try using "great schools.com" I have been using it quite a lot lately, it gives out lots of good info and also parent/student reviews

For area info, try CityData.com, you can usually get most of the details you need from that site...Good luck and don't forget to check into weather forecasts before your trip, this is the time of year for 'unsettled' weather in FL
Thanks. Checking them out now.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan B
I love Rochester, but my current "employer" has a hiring/promotion freeze and they won't put me in a permanent position, so my job is not secure. I say "employer", I really mean "the tight fisted idiots that take half my grant money and spend it on hiring other idiots, even though there is a hiring freeze"
While your job is not secure where you are don't forget that unemployment in Florida is terrible right now compared to most of the rest of the US and getting a job is VERY hard. Also the impression I am getting is pay is considerably less down these parts. Especially in the Tampa area. I see many Americans complaining about how they were paid $xx,xxx for a job up north and on attempting to move to FL they were/are offered considerably less.

What profession are you in. Obviously a good area for some space based work assuming you have/can get clearance.

If you decide to move be prepared to adjust to the southern way of life/attitude and all that comes with it!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by WARPed
While your job is not secure where you are don't forget that unemployment in Florida is terrible right now compared to most of the rest of the US and getting a job is VERY hard.
I would be moving into a secure job. I'm not worried about me I am worried about my OH though. She is a NYS certified K-12 teacher. I think I'll see if I can contact the Brevard Superintendent to get a lay of the teaching land.

Also the impression I am getting is pay is considerably less down these parts. Especially in the Tampa area. I see many Americans complaining about how they were paid $xx,xxx for a job up north and on attempting to move to FL they were/are offered considerably less.
I know the ball park salary, and I'm happy with it. Also, the no-state income tax will help

What profession are you in. Obviously a good area for some space based work assuming you have/can get clearance.
Space stuff, but not so spacey that I need NASA clearance (you can't actually work for NASA without a GC, I believe). There are some interesting "don't sell it to the commies" pieces of paper to go through though.

If you decide to move be prepared to adjust to the southern way of
life/attitude and all that comes with it!
uggh. yeah. I'm used to the touristy stuff from growing up in Bath. But the times I've been traveling in Florida, there have been some utter retards encountered. I was under the impression that central Fl. might no be so bad though, esp. around that area because of the space coast demographic.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:19 am
BritChickUS

kwilson will become famous soon enoughkwilson will become famous soon enough

Used to own timeshare at Sebastian so know that coast well..... quiet, quaint, not a lot to do....... close to Disney...... awesome beaches.....
Old Aug 19th 2009, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

helmet is just really nicehelmet is just really nicehelmet is just really nicehelmet is just really nicehelmet is just really nicehelmet is just really nicehelmet is just really nicehelmet is just really nice

we live in cape canaveral on the beach , nice place .