Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Wikiposts

Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:46 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all
Default Re: Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Originally Posted by kodokan
Absolutely agree with this. My kids went to a Western-themed two-week camp, with horse riding, archery, camp craft, ton of other sports and crafts, etc. They had the most fabulous time, and matured enormously by the time we picked them up (they were 12 and 8; we were a bit unsure about the 8 yr old, for two weeks! but she assured us she would be fine. She was )

Honestly, don't make him miss it because you want to make a stand. All the other kids will be talking about it, and he'll feel horribly left out. If he explains he couldn't go because he didn't want to/ his parents wouldn't let him take a basic medical, the other kids will just think he's weird: when in Rome, and all that...
The Hitler Youth had some fun summer camps too..
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
There is a vaccine now, which women can take as soon as they are sexually active, to prevent cervical cancer. So there will e no need for smear tests in the future.
Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Not true.
There is a vaccine that helps protect against most types of cervical cancer, and IIRC early teen girls in the UK are now given it.

Originally Posted by dlake02
The NHS National Records system holds all patients medical and immunisation history - it is donkey's years late, but virtually there now (it was due to go live in 1998 - that is how behind we are).
Should clarify: ought to hold immunisation history. It doesn't. My and my family's records were scattered across different GP surgeries with no central record.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

There is a vaccine now, which women can take as soon as they are sexually active, to prevent cervical cancer. So there will e no need for smear tests in the future.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
There is a vaccine that helps protect against most types of cervical cancer, and IIRC early teen girls in the UK are now given it.
And here they also recommend that boys get it; my 12 yr old son was offered it as part of his medical, but whilst I applaud the whole 'herd immunity, keep the girls as safe as possible' thing (I have a daughter too, after all), we declined, due to his extreme phobia about jabs. We have a deal that he mans up for the necessary ones, but that he doesn't have to get anything with a hint of optional* about it.

*Yes yes, I know that technically they're all 'optional', but you know what I mean.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM

Yes I know, it has been given here as well for sometime. But there is no vaccine yet that prevents cervical cancer. There are studies, and trials but it hasn't happened yet...

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
...I know!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:57 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Why don't the American summer camps test for STDs if the purpose of a medical is prevention rather than cure?

Frankly, the whole idea of a medical for a summer camp seems preposterous to me.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:59 pm
Banned

Yes I know, it has been given here as well for sometime. But there is no vaccine yet that prevents cervical cancer. There are studies, and trials but it hasn't happened yet...

...I know!
Once again, there is in Japan. Several of my colleagues were involved in its development. But hey, put your head in the sand if you want to.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:02 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cervical_cancer_vaccine
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Err, no it didn't. School checks in the 90s in the UK. I was there, I remember!
I was in school in the 1980s. There were no medical checks at all. Not even height or weight. Nothing. BCG at age 15, but nothing else.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:05 pm
Banned

Tim Jeal, who wrote the biography Baden-Powell, argued that Baden-Powell's distrust of communism led to his implicit support, through naïveté, of fascism. In 1939 Baden-Powell noted in his diary: "Lay up all day. Read Mein Kampf. A wonderful book, with good ideas on education, health, propaganda, organisation etc. – and ideals which Hitler does not practise himself."[7]:550 Baden-Powell admired Benito Mussolini early in the Italian fascist leader's career.

Some very early Scouting "Thanks" badges had a swastika symbol on them.[45] According to biographer Michael Rosenthal, Baden-Powell used the swastika because he was a Nazi sympathiser. Jeal, however, argues that Baden-Powell was ignorant of the symbol's growing association with Nazism and that he used the symbol for its centuries-old meaning of "good luck" in India. Also, Baden-Powell was named by the Nazis in "The Black Book of people to be arrested during the conquest of Great Britain. Scouting was regarded as a dangerous spy organisation by the Nazis.[46] Finally, when Nazi use of the swastika became well-known, the Scouts stopped using it.

Don't send your son to summer camp!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Once again, there is in Japan. Several of my colleagues were involved in its development. But hey, put your head in the sand if you want to.
Find the proof (link) and I'll read it.

If this is FDA approved and available then why has it had no publicity.

Head in the sand??? I don't think so.... but at least it's not up my @#se like some!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

Yes, it helps prevent some strains that cause cancer but as yet not all.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:10 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't the American summer camps test for STDs if the purpose of a medical is prevention rather than cure?

Frankly, the whole idea of a medical for a summer camp seems preposterous to me.
The rationale, here, is that the child is away from home and the camp is responsible for the child. I'm pretty sure insurance companies require it. The camp where my son goes (not the Boy Scouts, I dislike their politics and some of their values) requires proof of a physical check up within the last two years. They also check them for fever and such when they arrive, because ill children are often sent to camp (the reservations are made and paid for well in advance, so the parents aren't going to make the child miss camp because of a fever or something, so the little darlings often bring their microbes with them). The proof is simply a doctor's record, they don't require that their own forms be filled out. At the check up they do height/weight, blood pressure, eyes, ears, listen to chest, etc. Given the number of hugely overweight children here, I don't find it out of order. And yes, at physical exams boys are checked for signs that puberty is proceeding normally.Frankly, if it isn't, I would want to know. There is a good deal of hypochondria in this country, but a simple physical exam before sending your child off in the hands of strangers really isn't a big deal. A simple physical exam for a child once a year to make sure everything as it should be doesn't strike me as hypochondria, either. If a camp is requiring its own "special" exam, and doesn't accept the normal medical check up that one might get for one's child anyway so that you have to get two, then it is a bit of a pain, but I've never met that, personally.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Nov 28th 2012 at 3:13 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:11 pm
Banned

Interesting. This is already out-of-date and makes no mention of Japan.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 3:15 pm
Banned

Find the proof (link) and I'll read it.

If this is FDA approved and available then why has it had no publicity.

Head in the sand??? I don't think so.... but at least it's not up my @#se like some!
I am not talking about America, so I don't know about the FDA. Dr. Ryo Konno has appeared many times on TV in Japan talking about the vaccine. I only know the articles that he has written in Japanese, but I will try to find-out what has been published in English.

Last edited by JRG67; Nov 28th 2012 at 3:20 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.