Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bought the car!

Wikiposts

Bought the car!

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 6:19 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Bought the car!

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Driving Licence and Insurance, please Sir
Yeah right Like you would actually say that.

It's more like..."Goodmorning Wing Commander" from British cops...I do miss that sarcasm though, the cops here are like robots.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 6:22 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonrob
Possibly the most offensive thread I've seen yet. Anyone care to lower the tone still further?
Sure. **** off you ******* ****
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 6:28 am
Account Closed

First lesson,Look in your rear view mirror,second, look up(helicopter) third,speak nicely,fourth,dont do it on the same road,fifth,there are a lot of them about and they are all the same nowaday,say no more!! watch out cos if he sees you again,he might hold a grudge. none of this, well, we all did it, dont do it again nowadays.
I seem to be having abit of trouble with the speed limits here. In all my years in the UK and Europe never once got a speeding ticket, in 18 months in Nazi New York I have had 8 points on my licence and about $1,000 in fines. I got stopped ambushed the other night doing 86 in a 55 but had the best State Trooper in the world....he gave me a ticket for having clear plastic covers over my licence plates instead of doing me for the speeding which would've resulted in a ban and about $500 worth of fines and penalties. I always have the "Yes Sir yes Sir three bags full Sir" approach and it has always paid off until I came stateside. If you get pulled you ARE going to get a ticket in Upstate NY.

I have since parked up the car for the winter.....bloody thing is a "Licence loser".
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 6:29 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Was waiting for that!
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 6:32 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

First lesson,Look in your rear view mirror,second, look up(helicopter) third,speak nicely,fourth,dont do it on the same road,fifth,there are a lot of them about and they are all the same nowaday,say no more!! watch out cos if he sees you again,he might hold a grudge. none of this, well, we all did it, dont do it again nowadays.

I know. I was in a huge rush to get to a meeting 150 miles away so I wasn't really paying attention to waiting troopers...

He really was a tit. I got stopped/no cititaion be a trooper in nevada who told me nicely - 'have a better day'

I don't appreciate being shouted at in the manner of a drill sargeant..
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 6:37 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to be having abit of trouble with the speed limits here. In all my years in the UK and Europe never once got a speeding ticket,
same here. its quite funny when i go back to the Uk and drive.

Last time I was over I was driving up the A1 to aylesbury (nice stretch of clear road) and this chap in a 7 series came bombing up behind me, i was like 'crikey, better get out of his way.... what a nutter'

then I looked at my own speedo, realised I was doing 78 and the other guy maybe 95 and then realised that living in the USA had turned me into a speeding tart...

Oh well, I'll just wait for next years autocross season...
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
same here. its quite funny when i go back to the Uk and drive.

Last time I was over I was driving up the A1 to aylesbury (nice stretch of clear road) and this chap in a 7 series came bombing up behind me, i was like 'crikey, better get out of his way.... what a nutter'

then I looked at my own speedo, realised I was doing 78 and the other guy maybe 95 and then realised that living in the USA had turned me into a speeding tart...

Oh well, I'll just wait for next years autocross season...
Whilst awaiting the wife's GC etc I have been doing a part time driving job, chauffer type jobs around the country but even I have had enough,speed cameras,mobile cameras everywhere.For stupid speeds I agree with them but theres no tolerence with them.They are changing speed limits every week that have been in force for years suddenly one week it was 50 now its 30 with a camera.Too many close shaves even for me.A friend who lives in Jupiter FL told me he got a ticket couple of months ago trying out his CTS, 85 in a 40 limit,He didnt see any S.T but it turn out to be a chopper with camera.He got off with 8 hrs in a classroom and a smallish fine.Good, being an ex Brit traffic cop aswell, hehe
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

I know that, its a technical term,I sure I didnt know what he meant, but it was said with some feeling !!
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know that, its a technical term,I sure I didnt know what he meant, but it was said with some feeling !!
On this theme does the speeding ticket and points effect your insurance in any way in the USA when you renew each 6 months
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:15 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

On this theme does the speeding ticket and points effect your insurance in any way in the USA when you renew each 6 months
Yes. Sometimes it takes a while to reach the DMV from the court, and maybe even longer before the insurance company does its routine check. But it will catch up to you. You are usually best off contesting speeding tickets in court - for example I got my six points replaced with traffic school and the ticket dismissed by paying a 'calming fee'.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

Yeah, the send me a jar of Vaseline along with the reminder in the post.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:12 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Yes. Sometimes it takes a while to reach the DMV from the court, and maybe even longer before the insurance company does its routine check. But it will catch up to you. You are usually best off contesting speeding tickets in court - for example I got my six points replaced with traffic school and the ticket dismissed by paying a 'calming fee'.

Unfortunately for me the general sessions court for the county I was caught in is 30 miles away, and with my hearing on a wednesday morning with a broken ankle I was unable to attend, so no chance of traffic school.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Possibly the most offensive thread I've seen yet. Anyone care to lower the tone still further?
Oh please....do you ever read any of the posts on this forum? I'm not the first to use the term 'Nazi' and I won't be the last. FYI it's been used since you posted this comment.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:01 am
Mun
Just Joined

Mun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boylerz
Just a message to say that I bought myself a new car. It is a 2006 Ford Taurus and cost $8,888 with 23k on the clock. I believe it is a bargain. It was a rental car. I bought it at the 3rd car dealership I visited. The first one I went was full of the slimballs that you guys have talked about. They had me in there for over 2 hours! I told them I didnt want to spend over 8k and they kept coming up with cars that cost 13,14,15k! My girlfriend was with and we started getting pissed off with how long they were taking so we said that we were going for a drive to get coffee and one of the salesmen wanted to come with us so we wouldnt drive off! I told him to f**k off with his slim tactics!!!
Good job! I bought a car here in FL a couple of months ago, and found that car salesmen here are a lot more forceful than those in the UK. Despite telling the dude we had a $12k budget, this idiot tried to sell us a car for $14.5k, and even then, he kept trying to get our details to do a credit check first!

Even after yelling at him and driving off, he still had the audacity to keep calling every couple of days and leaving voicemails asking us to go back and view their updated inventory. At least he eventually got the hint, though it took him two whole weeks...

M.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:38 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Oh please....do you ever read any of the posts on this forum? I'm not the first to use the term 'Nazi' and I won't be the last. FYI it's been used since you posted this comment.
When I was at school kids would use that term when referring to Germans, and it didn't make a lot of sense then. Just wouldn't have expected this from adults. It's not just offensive, it's a bit silly really. Anyway, I'm not going to bang on about it, I wasn't that upset - just a teensy weensy little bit. It's probably the first time I've actually spoken out about something on this forum!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.