Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bottle Redemption

Bottle Redemption

Old Oct 15th 2006, 12:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bottle Redemption

So does your state do it? How easy do they make it?

In Maine, you couldn't miss a bottle redemption centre, they were everywhere, and a lot of the grocery stores had the machines that would take bottles/cans from anywhere.

Now out in Mass, haven't seen a single redemption centre around where I live, and the few of the grocery stores that have the machines, they only take bottles if you brought them from that store...not that it works so well because at Trader Joe's, it didn't take half of the bottles back.

What a big scam that is, have to pay a deposit on each bottle/can, and pretty much no way of getting the money back...grrr...

So anyone actually bother with it all?
Old Oct 15th 2006, 12:37 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Bottle Redemption

Originally Posted by Bob
So does your state do it? How easy do they make it?

In Maine, you couldn't miss a bottle redemption centre, they were everywhere, and a lot of the grocery stores had the machines that would take bottles/cans from anywhere.

Now out in Mass, haven't seen a single redemption centre around where I live, and the few of the grocery stores that have the machines, they only take bottles if you brought them from that store...not that it works so well because at Trader Joe's, it didn't take half of the bottles back.

What a big scam that is, have to pay a deposit on each bottle/can, and pretty much no way of getting the money back...grrr...

So anyone actually bother with it all?
We used to have the same thing with off licence beer bottles. I can remember as a kid that my dads pub used to give a few pennies back to people that brought the bottles back to the off licence part of his pub (remember when some pubs had off licence built in?).
I used to go round the back of the pub, pass a crate of bottles over the wall to my mate and get him to go into the offlicence and get the deposit money to suppliment my meagre pocket money........until my dad caught me one day and gave me ....I can still feel the bamboo cane across my arse!!!
Old Oct 15th 2006, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
We used to have the same thing with off licence beer bottles. I can remember as a kid that my dads pub used to give a few pennies back to people that brought the bottles back to the off licence part of his pub (remember when some pubs had off licence built in?).
I used to go round the back of the pub, pass a crate of bottles over the wall to my mate and get him to go into the offlicence and get the deposit money to suppliment my meagre pocket money........until my dad caught me one day and gave me ....I can still feel the bamboo cane across my arse!!!
LOL well I was not laughing at the time, because thats what my old man gave me a bamboo cane, wonder if it was just a London thing, or weather it was because we just had tuff old gits as Farther's
Old Oct 15th 2006, 1:24 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Durham County, NC, the city picks up glass (including bottles) as part of the recycling. There's no glass deposit charge in NC.

On the other hand elsewhere in the country, recycling's going the other way. In Cleveland, OH, they had kerbside recycling pick up but it was scrapped after some time.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 15th 2006, 1:30 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

No wonder you're psychologically damaged......
Old Oct 15th 2006, 1:35 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
No wonder you're psychologically damaged......
far from being "psychologically damaged" ....I had an upbringing where if i did something I knew I wasn't allowed to do I got punished. Sometimes I did things knowing I would be punished if caught and sometimes I chose not to risk the consequences....if more parents gave their kids a good slap now and again the world would on balance, be a far better place. but i suppose I should let my kids "express themselves' by dabbling in pettty crime and soft drugs...I mean..what's the worse that can happen!!!
Old Oct 15th 2006, 1:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Here in Durham County, NC, the city picks up glass (including bottles) as part of the recycling. There's no glass deposit charge in NC.
around here, in this town at least, they do the recycle pick up every two weeks, most people just chuck there cans and bottles with the other glass and plastic stuff for the recycle pick up because it's so much hassle to get the money redemption, so it's a bit of a cheeky scam making people pay a deposit and make it nae on impossible, or impractical to get the money back.

In maine, a lot of the redemption centres would have there own little thin, like put the money towards school projects such as visits, sports, general equipment, or for scholarships, and our old local one would use the money to buy little kids a bicycle who usually were very poor, as a nice x-mas gift.

It seems, they just don't do that around here.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 1:41 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

far from being "psychologically damaged" ....I had an upbringing where if i did something I knew I wasn't allowed to do I got punished. Sometimes I did things knowing I would be punished if caught and sometimes I chose not to risk the consequences....if more parents gave their kids a good slap now and again the world would on balance, be a far better place. but i suppose I should let my kids "express themselves' by dabbling in pettty crime and soft drugs...I mean..what's the worse that can happen!!!
Of course we should. Everyone 30+ is walking around psychologically damaged from the six-of-the-best that they received.....
Old Oct 15th 2006, 2:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I remember that...we must be around the same age.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 3:18 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

At school, we used to get six of the best across the fingers. Sometimes it was a choice berween the six and detention, the boys always took the six. It stung for a few minutes, and then it was over. I find it hard to think that I was psychologically damaged by that when I wasn't by the bombing.

The trick cyclists, determine damage by comparing with an arbitrary norm, and if they didn't set the norm in the right place, they wouldn't have any work to do.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 3:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I remember that...we must be around the same age.
You wish!!
Old Oct 15th 2006, 3:32 am
Account Closed

If they re-introduced it into the schools, I bet the yobbish culture would disappear within a couple of years.

You do realize I was being sarcastic right?
Old Oct 15th 2006, 3:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
At school, we used to get six of the best across the fingers. Sometimes it was a choice berween the six and detention, the boys always took the six. It stung for a few minutes, and then it was over. I find it hard to think that I was psychologically damaged by that when I wasn't by the bombing.

The trick cyclists, determine damage by comparing with an arbitrary norm, and if they didn't set the norm in the right place, they wouldn't have any work to do.
My father was an RSM. We never had a choice of the cane on the fingers or the arse...it was determined by the crime. However, I must say that I think my dad had some kind of advance laser guidance when it came to caning us on the hands. He ALWAYS got us right across the tips of our fingers and never the palm........if we flinched or moved our hands away....we got an extra one ontop of the one we dodged. I can remember him saying just prior to caning "This is going to hurt me more than it's going to hurt you son"!!! I told him once "Do you wanna swap then"......I got an extra one for that witicism.
Funny how times change though, as much as I don't think me getting caned did me any long term harm (mental or physical) I actually think it did me good. It taught me that if you cant do the time don't do the crime. However, I couldn't cane any of my kids....I did once put my belt across my eldest boy's arse once after repeated warnings and constant reoffending......that was 2 years ago and it dawned on me afterwards that it probably did hurt me more than him as my dad had said. He's never done the same thing again and has probably forgotten all about it........I haven't but in the same situation I would do it again.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 3:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
If they re-introduced it into the schools, I bet the yobbish culture would disappear within a couple of years.

You do realize I was being sarcastic right?
Bring that back and national service and not only would you lose the yob culture but also the immigration problem.

As for your sarcasm......I take any opportunity (even sarcastic ones) to have a good rant.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 3:53 am
Account Closed

They didn't hit us girls at school in Zims. We got 10 000 bloody lines of 'Do not eat gum in class' to write instead. Wish we had been caned rather and get it over with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.