Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boston Personal Tax & Property Prices

Wikiposts

Boston Personal Tax & Property Prices

Old Apr 5th 2005, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Boston Personal Tax & Property Prices

Originally Posted by sibsie
I'm up in Cape Ann (Rockport). It's an easy drive or train into Boston. It's not the cheapest area but it is picture postcard pretty and a really friendly little town.
i would also have to say that rockport is quite a nice little tourist village ... i live there too!

Last edited by silvermine; Apr 5th 2005 at 9:45 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

austin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hammy
Any help greatly appreciated

I'm considering and internal move from Scotland to Boston and need to know roughly how much the following will sting me for

# Income Tax / Social Security on my Salary.... say $70k
# Property rental (3 bed+garden) and also purchase prices.... say South/West Boston within a reasonably short commute to State Street/Financial District.... any other areas considered if you have the local knowledge to assist
# Any other outgoings that will need to be considered, medical etc.

Need to do the maths before anything else is considered!

Thank you.
$70,000 for single person.
Federal Tax: $12,121
Medicare (1.45%): $1,015
SS FICA (6.2%): $4,340
State Tax (5.3%): $3,520

Car Excise: 2.5% of cars valuation every year (oh my god).
Old Apr 6th 2005, 6:20 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Boston Schools are crap. I watched this long running documentry on it, and there was always something going down. I wouldn't want my kids going to that school.

Although that blond woman teacher was quite fit.
Well that went straight over everyone's head
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:19 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvermine
i would also have to say that rockport is quite a nice little tourist village ... i live there too!
Blimey! Another Rockpuertorican!!! If you've been reading the Gloucester Times this week about the Havard Prof manure theft, well that's where I am. We must swap notes.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sibsie
Blimey! Another Rockpuertorican!!! If you've been reading the Gloucester Times this week about the Havard Prof manure theft, well that's where I am. We must swap notes.
heh, i'm just down the street... and i swear i never steal manure...!
and, i never went to hahvahd.

i thought that was soo funny..lol
you wouldn't be related to those union jacks i see flying up on south street
would you?

sorry for the thread hijack...
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:09 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvermine
you wouldn't be related to those union jacks i see flying up on south street
would you?

sorry for the thread hijack...
No I'm right in the shit, so to speak!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by austin_d_powers
$70,000 for single person.
Federal Tax: $12,121
Medicare (1.45%): $1,015
SS FICA (6.2%): $4,340
State Tax (5.3%): $3,520

Car Excise: 2.5% of cars valuation every year (oh my god).
Don't forget the medical insurance....high cost of electricity, be using a lot in the summer with AC...high cost of parking...

Don't know about the T, but it's about $30 a month for the central area, which is really pretty good.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't forget the medical insurance....high cost of electricity, be using a lot in the summer with AC...high cost of parking...

Don't know about the T, but it's about $30 a month for the central area, which is really pretty good.
isnt medicare the same as medical insurance?????????????
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:27 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Well that went straight over everyone's head
I know didn't anyone watch Boston Public?
Old Apr 7th 2005, 1:28 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chukka
no. medicare is like social security and kick in once you've retired (providing you have worked the stipulated amount of time)

Medical Insurance is, well for if you get sick at any time.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Manc
no. medicare is like social security and kick in once you've retired (providing you have worked the stipulated amount of time)

Medical Insurance is, well for if you get sick at any time.
thx,just goes to show u,neva too old to learn new tricks,
Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chukka
nope, one's a tax for when your old, the other is to help you not go bankrupt should you get sick.