Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

$2k rent budget for 3 bed in Boston City

$2k rent budget for 3 bed in Boston City

Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:04 pm
Hammy

Question $2k rent budget for 3 bed in Boston City

Opinions required on best neighbourhoods for this $2k per month budget, links to rental websites a bonus

thanks people.

PS - If a 3 bed is unrealistic then don't be shy to put me straight on the local rental market, greatly appreciated, cheers.

Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:22 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $2k rent budget for 3 bed in Boston City

Originally Posted by Hammy
Opinions required on best neighbourhoods for this $2k per month budget, links to rental websites a bonus

thanks people.

PS - If a 3 bed is unrealistic then don't be shy to put me straight on the local rental market, greatly appreciated, cheers.
Any chance you can use a search engine to find rental websites yourself or is that asking too much?

NC Penguin
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:31 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks people.

www.realtor.com there are hundreds. If you google it you'll find 100's
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ikke will become famous soon enoughIkke will become famous soon enough

Sent you a PM
Old Apr 6th 2005, 8:34 pm
Hammy

[QUOTE=NC Penguin]Any chance you can use a search engine to find rental websites yourself or is that asking too much?

You missed the main part of my question "best neighbourhoods" based on my budget, maybe if you spent more time reading and less time bleeding moaning..

Old Apr 6th 2005, 8:42 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

We all managed to move here without having to ask such important questions to a bunch of strangers.. (well, all of us except waxwabbit.)

move over here. rent something to tide you over, and have a nosey about.

If you use a internet forum opinion to plan out the rest of your life then you shouldn't be allowed to leave the house without a helmet.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 8:54 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: $2k rent budget for 3 bed in Boston City

[QUOTE=Hammy]
Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Any chance you can use a search engine to find rental websites yourself or is that asking too much?

You missed the main part of my question "best neighbourhoods" based on my budget, maybe if you spent more time reading and less time bleeding moaning..
Think you missed the smillie at the end of my post.

Seriously though, if you're so helpless and need to ask so many questions, I really think you haven't got what it takes to survive in the US. I speak from experience (moved to the US without having even visited the city I'm living in nor my spouse meeting his manager or evver having stepped into his workplace).

NC Penguin
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I know it sounds odd but I had never even spoken face to face with an American before I moved over here.

When we first came over we rented a 2 bed apartment for a few months to see if we liked living here. We then rented a 4 bedroom house for 12 months eventually buying our own house 18 months ago.

I did do some research on the internet and by sheer coincidence the town we live in is one of the towns that was recommended by one of the web sites(realtor.com) I think.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:24 pm
Hammy

Think you missed the smillie at the end of my post.

Seriously though, if you're so helpless and need to ask so many questions, I really think you haven't got what it takes to survive in the US. I speak from experience (moved to the US without having even visited the city I'm living in nor my spouse meeting his manager or evver having stepped into his workplace).

NC Penguin

Potatoe / potato..... anyone who plays asteroids 3,170 times has a serious social gap in my book.... I'm away out with my mates to the pub .... enjoy the sense of well being you get from tap tap tapping on your keyboard every night. llllllllllloooooosssssseeeeerrrrrr !!

Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:37 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Potatoe / potato..... anyone who plays asteroids 3,170 times has a serious social gap in my book.... I'm away out with my mates to the pub .... enjoy the sense of well being you get from tap tap tapping on your keyboard every night. llllllllllloooooosssssseeeeerrrrrr !!
You really know how to endear yourself to others, don't you?

Best of luck with life in the US! You're going to need it!

NC Penguin
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm away out with my mates to the pub
and do you ask them what is the best beer you should be drinking?
or whether or not you should eat dry roasted or pork scratchings?
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
or whether or not you should eat dry roasted or pork scratchings?
scampi fries surely?
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:25 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

thanks people.

Try http://www.bostonapartments.com/class.htm

If nothing else it will give you an idea of what is out there.

Where ever you decide to lay your hat, just make sure you are near a T stop or commuter rail/express bus service because it is a nightmare getting into the city in winter without anything nearby and driving/parking is a beotch. Actually, get yourself a map of MBTA & commuter rail and that will give you a good idea of the towns to look for.

If I had a small family I would look at Newton or Quincy/Braintree on the T and possibly Salem/Beverley on the commuter rail - all easy commutes. I know people who travel in from as far as Andover & Billerica but the commute wears thin after a long winter.

Not sure when you are planning to move but right now is a fairly good time - the worst time is around 1 Sept when every student and his dog need somewhere to live!

Oh and you mentioned a little 'un...google British School Boston and check the admissions page for a list of prices ...it's on the T not far from Newton.

Good luck!
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by looselips

speaking of, craiglist.org has a section on boston...
Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:42 am
Hammy

Originally Posted by looselips

Where ever you decide to lay your hat, just make sure you are near a T stop or commuter rail/express bus service because it is a nightmare getting into the city in winter without anything nearby and driving/parking is a beotch. Actually, get yourself a map of MBTA & commuter rail and that will give you a good idea of the towns to look for.

If I had a small family I would look at Newton or Quincy/Braintree on the T and possibly Salem/Beverley on the commuter rail - all easy commutes. I know people who travel in from as far as Andover & Billerica but the commute wears thin after a long winter.

Not sure when you are planning to move but right now is a fairly good time - the worst time is around 1 Sept when every student and his dog need somewhere to live!

Oh and you mentioned a little 'un...google British School Boston and check the admissions page for a list of prices ...it's on the T not far from Newton.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, very useful indeed.
You lot are making much more sense compared to those 2 time wasting losers Manc and NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.