Boston

Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all
Default Boston

Are any of you familiar with the greater Boston area? Im planning on making a move to Boston soon, and was wondering what the good/ bad/ no-go areas are. On most of my trips there Ive found it to be quite a peaceful place, but have heard rumours of some very bad no go areas. Thanks!
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boston

Originally Posted by deng890
Are any of you familiar with the greater Boston area? Im planning on making a move to Boston soon, and was wondering what the good/ bad/ no-go areas are. On most of my trips there Ive found it to be quite a peaceful place, but have heard rumours of some very bad no go areas. Thanks!
Over to you Bob.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Over to you Bob.
And I'll try and help too

But do give us a bit more info......Are you moving with a family? Do you want a house in the suburbs, or a flat in the city? Are you going to be working downtown?

I've been here 11 years and still love it!
Old Oct 12th 2006, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

Hi Janj,

Im going to be working in downtown but prefer to live outside of the city, north preferably. I'll be by myself, no family. I'd prefer to live close enough to some form of public transit that goes into Boston. I heard that the real bad areas are primarily confined to areas south of Boston? Dorchester?
Just trying to figure out which areas to limit my search for a place, as Boston has so many little cities surrounding it.

Originally Posted by janj
And I'll try and help too

But do give us a bit more info......Are you moving with a family? Do you want a house in the suburbs, or a flat in the city? Are you going to be working downtown?

I've been here 11 years and still love it!
Old Oct 12th 2006, 9:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Boston and the surranding area is huge...just depends on how long of a commute do your want.

Lawrence is a shit hole, most of Waltham is a shit hole.

Allston is supposed to be nice and affordable, student type town.

moving in the winter though, that's a tough time to move, people want long term lease to make sure you stick out the winter, and oil is rough
Old Oct 12th 2006, 10:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Try Brookline.

I believe JFK was borne there. Looks and feels very nice
Old Oct 12th 2006, 10:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Try Brookline.

I believe JFK was borne there. Looks and feels very nice
not cheap though and commute into boston ain't to friendly, especially route 9

Bit west of that, Newton, that's lovely, but hard finding a place, also expensive because of the schools.

Arlington and Medford where thrown my way as places to check out that were nice, but way to far for me as I'm in metro west for work.

Between Newton and Waltham is Watertown, it's lovely, sprawling type place and I think there's the T, or that could be Newton, anyway, the downer there, to get anywhere your on route 20 and that's a car park.

Somerville is supposed to be nice and it's right on the train/T

I'm out in Natick which is nice, it's about 10-15 miles to down town, about an hours drive in the morning, but there's a commuter rail that goes, about 35 mins to get there, goes to south station though, and it's $4.50 one way, which ain't bad considering cost/hassle of parking in Boston...downer is, last ride back it about 12am.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Janj,

Im going to be working in downtown but prefer to live outside of the city, north preferably. I'll be by myself, no family. I'd prefer to live close enough to some form of public transit that goes into Boston. I heard that the real bad areas are primarily confined to areas south of Boston? Dorchester?
Just trying to figure out which areas to limit my search for a place, as Boston has so many little cities surrounding it.
Sounds like you need to be near the 'T'. Somewhere nice ? .... Try Salem, Woburn, Peabody to the north, Quincy, Braintree, Westwood to the south. ... Or you could get a really cheap condo in riverside (Near the science museum for $350,000 for a 1 bedroom apt .....
Old Oct 12th 2006, 11:00 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

I would choose Salem for an easy-ish commute though not the cheapest housing? Further out, though a longer commute, would be the north shore. Just so pretty there.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
I would choose Salem for an easy-ish commute though not the cheapest housing?
your right there, it's well expensive.

The OP said they don't have kids, so finding a place with a shite school district will find you cheaper places for a pad.

The three W's are nice, Wayland, Wellesley, Weston, but all three are insanely expensive areas with good commuting, easy access to the pike (I-90), I-9, I-95, route 20/30
Old Oct 13th 2006, 10:07 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
your right there, it's well expensive.

The OP said they don't have kids, so finding a place with a shite school district will find you cheaper places for a pad.

The three W's are nice, Wayland, Wellesley, Weston, but all three are insanely expensive areas with good commuting, easy access to the pike (I-90), I-9, I-95, route 20/30
Salem isn't too bad for prices (I lived there for a year), but is not on a direct route on the T. You have to take a bus or train into Boston. But there are quite a few bars all within walking distance in the centre.

It really depends on what you want, if you want the night-life in Boston then I'd stick with a town with a T station, trouble is they stop running at about midnight.

Doesn't matter much where you live around Boston, the whole area is a car park if you're commuting in/out of the city at peak times. Also if you're having to use the tunnels to drive into the city centre be careful where you choose to live, there's major work going on and more to come - this alone can add up to another hour onto travel times as you get diverted right through the city.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough

I agree with people's comments so far. I'm out in Weston - some of these suburbs are very family oriented, and there'd be little for a single guy in the way of entertainment. Definitely look for something on the T - the commuter rail is slow and trains can be infrequent. I'd look at Newton, Brookline, Belmont, Arlington, Somerville, parts of Brighton. Don't really know the more northern areas as well.
Good luck, and ask away if you have more questions

Jan
Old Oct 13th 2006, 1:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I agree with people's comments so far. I'm out in Weston...
oooh...just up the road

saying that, there's a member that's in my town, still not met up for drinks though *lol*
Old Oct 13th 2006, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
oooh...just up the road

saying that, there's a member that's in my town, still not met up for drinks though *lol*
Yep, I think I know said member. We should all get together for a drink sometime.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 4:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Yep, I think I know said member. We should all get together for a drink sometime.
so how long you been in the area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.