Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Booking flights and shipping stuff

Booking flights and shipping stuff

Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Booking flights and shipping stuff

How long did you wait before booking flights and shipping your items to the US? Did you wait until you had your interview and then get a rush on with moving everything and booking flights, or did you book flights and ship stuff once you found out your interview date?
Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

ryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Booking flights and shipping stuff

It depends on your risk appetite, as well as whether you plan to have a gap between the USC spouse going out and the immigrant joining later.

I have been in the US for three weeks and we had the interview today. We shipped our stuff out before I flew out because it worked with the timing of us selling our home. Most shippers will offer an option to delay delivery on the other side so ask them about any charges etc. Regarding the flights I would only ever book flexible tickets for something like this - prohibitively expensive though
Old Jul 31st 2012, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

I am starting to ship things over now... Me (USC) and my children are going in Jan with hubby hopefully joining us end of Feb. Hubby should hopefully have his interview before we go in Jan, still leaving enough time to deal with any unexpected problems with his visa application. Will not be picking hubby's flights until visa is in his passport though.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
Did you wait until you had your interview and then get a rush on with moving everything and booking flights, or did you book flights and ship stuff once you found out your interview date?
You should not book flights until the visa is in your passport and in your hands. Having an interview is, by no means, an indication that the visa will be approved in a timely manner.

Ian
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:15 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I can attest to that. I booked my wife's flight to the USA for a few days after her interview. There were a couple of surprise issues raised by the consular officer, which my wife remedied within 24 hours. However, 24 hours was enough time for the consular officer to leave town for holiday and vacation, and the visa was not issued until 3 weeks after the interview.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You should not book flights until the visa is in your passport and in your hands. Having an interview is, by no means, an indication that the visa will be approved in a timely manner.

Ian
Did you wait until you had your interview and then get a rush on with moving everything and booking flights, or did you book flights and ship stuff once you found out your interview date?
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
I concur with my Learned Friend.

Jim.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I doubt that the regulations have changed, so I will remind you that if you are doing a shipment of furniture on a container for example, you need to have your visa number to give to the shipping company before your items can be shipped out.

Now since you have a USC spouse who is living in the US, that might not pertain to your shipment.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Also, I doubt that the regulations have changed, so I will remind you that if you are doing a shipment of furniture on a container for example, you need to have your visa number to give to the shipping company before your items can be shipped out.

Now since you have a USC spouse who is living in the US, that might not pertain to your shipment.
My spouse isn't in the US yet, he's sitting in the same room as me )) We're all waiting to go back together. We can ship stuff though, we'll be living with his parents for a while so there will be someone the other end to receive it.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ian
Yeah, problem is we're trying to get around the cost of flights if we leave it until a couple of weeks before we want to fly. It would be like triple the cost! I know though, got to be sensible...

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I can attest to that. I booked my wife's flight to the USA for a few days after her interview. There were a couple of surprise issues raised by the consular officer, which my wife remedied within 24 hours. However, 24 hours was enough time for the consular officer to leave town for holiday and vacation, and the visa was not issued until 3 weeks after the interview.

Regards, JEff
Didn't think of it like that.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 4:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

My spouse isn't in the US yet, he's sitting in the same room as me )) We're all waiting to go back together. We can ship stuff though, we'll be living with his parents for a while so there will be someone the other end to receive it.
I am digging this from the back of a failing memory, from when we moved over in 2006. I am sure that in order to avoid input duty etc, we had to be in the US when the container arrived.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

Alternatively the USC can have household goods shipped as a "returning resident" which has the same customs exemption as a new immigrant. That's what we did - the shipping was all in my wife's name and we had no problems.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

You may want to wait until the Olympcs are well gone, before you book your flights.

Book a Round-trip with a distant date for the return portion of your trip, then just do not show up.

Jim/
Old Jul 31st 2012, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
You may want to wait until the Olympcs are well gone, before you book your flights.

Book a Round-trip with a distant date for the return portion of your trip, then just do not show up.

Jim/
Hi, yeah that's what we are going to do, problem is that right now, we're looking at £1707.18 (round trip, for me, my hubby and our son) IF we booked soon (we're looking at about 2 to 3 months until we "hope" to go). If we were to book right after the interview and were looking at going within 3 weeks or so, the price would go right up to about £3000 for the same flight. Flight costs rise and dip. Looks like it's in the "dip" and we can't book yet! Oh well lol.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

ryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud ofryanayr has much to be proud of

Anglo-Pacific didn't need us to provide visa information to book. They were flexible on the destination until we pushed the button but then I ultimately went to the US and had a fixed address.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

While we're on the subject of shipping... who did you ship with and do you have any recommendations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.