Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bollocks.....

Bollocks.....

Old Sep 24th 2004, 6:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bollocks.....

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I have never heard these two words... I'll have to look those up.
y
Minger was rather funny, mate got caught say that about some chick, she turned out to be american and wanted to know what he meant, so he lied, said oh, nice chick, that sort of stuff....so probably being spread around the states with the wrong meaning *l*
Old Sep 24th 2004, 7:47 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Minger was rather funny, mate got caught say that about some chick, she turned out to be american and wanted to know what he meant, so he lied, said oh, nice chick, that sort of stuff....so probably being spread around the states with the wrong meaning *l*
Ha! Reminds me of when I had been on holiday to Jamaica and someone asked me if everyone there lived in mud huts, I replied that only in so much as she did; bricks being mud. When she asked me if it was warm (further into the inane conversation) I said no, it had snowed (well I did go in December). She was amazed at the fact that it snowed in Jamaica, said she had never realised that. Really convinced her. Now I often smile at the thought of her trying to convince someone else in conversation. "No really, it does snow in Jamaica, I knew someone who'd been there..."
Old Sep 24th 2004, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

RedCoat999 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a good site to give to your American friends/co-workers so they can understand you:

http://www.effingpot.com/
Old Sep 24th 2004, 9:39 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
Mate is another word, Americans don't understand, I got baffled looks when I said "wicked, Mate" to shop steward, I think she might have thought I meant something else...
Old Sep 24th 2004, 9:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
.. Now I often smile at the thought of her trying to convince someone else in conversation. "No really, it does snow in Jamaica, I knew someone who'd been there..."
Fantastic...some people are really too stupid, the missus has loads of tales, but I can't say...
Old Sep 24th 2004, 9:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by fatman
Mate is another word, Americans don't understand, I got baffled looks when I said "wicked, Mate" to shop steward, I think she might have thought I meant something else...
Hehe...aye, it's a funny ole country...nice link btw
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

fubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant future

at the other end of the spectrum...
put my foot in it at a bbq last year stating 'Rose (the wife) gets the hump when I'm late to bed'...she apologised on my behalf to a shocked couple who'd never met us before...

Last edited by fubar; Sep 6th 2005 at 11:10 am.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:27 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tone
A quick google will reveal they actually have their own web page
What ? Bollocks ?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:32 am
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Some might be used here but I haven't heard them used except around our friends.

Ding Bat
Cods Wallop
Rat Arsed
Diddly Squat
Kybosh (sp)
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:09 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I don't think I have ever heard the word 'twat' used here.

Ash
They use it in 'Rescue Me' pronounced twot but comes up on captions as twat.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:21 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold

I saw one on the way to work this morning on a truck "C Butt Ltd" which gave my inner child a little smile!

On the subject of bollocks, can anyone elses US other half (assuming you have a US other half) actually pronounce it? my wife says it "boh licks" which never fails to amuse me, especially when she is trying to be serious.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:31 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatman
You have to be careful if you ask someone to bum a fag off of them
Not many get the two finger gesture, they think it's a peace sign. I was first greeted by my girlfriends younger sister by that one. I don't think that many understand wanker either....
but what about American words that we don't understand....
The two fingers of scorn originally had nothing to do with sex. I don't know whether it has any specific sexual meaning now. I suspect that the connection is vague. It originated with the French cutting the two fingers off the British longbowmen, if they caught them, so they couldn't shoot the bow again. The archers who still had them, showed them to the French in a gesture of scorn, before they shot their arrows at them.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:05 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
The two fingers of scorn originally had nothing to do with sex. I don't know whether it has any specific sexual meaning now. I suspect that the connection is vague. It originated with the French cutting the two fingers off the British longbowmen, if they caught them, so they couldn't shoot the bow again. The archers who still had them, showed them to the French in a gesture of scorn, before they shot their arrows at them.
I'm afraid not...

Pluck Yew Myth
Old Sep 6th 2005, 5:20 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I'm afraid not...

Pluck Yew Myth
Did you read it? it refers to the "middle finger salute", the one used here in the States. I agree that that makes no sense. I was refering to the British "two finger salute, these are the fingers used to draw the bow.

The article ends:
"Last but certainly not least, wouldn't these insolent archers have been bragging about plucking the bow's string, and not the wood of the bow itself?"

It could be that it is just a legend but there is no reason to suppose that the words were applied when the gesture developed. The article may be correct but not for the argument it makes. That applies to the single finger that, per the article, goes back to Roman times.

I don't buy the arguments that the knights wouldn't do that, the French army had yoemen as well as knights, plus the knights were frustrated because the archers decimated their ranks before they could get to fight properly.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:33 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by franc11s
Some might be used here but I haven't heard them used except around our friends.

Ding Bat
(sp)
Use it all the time here in lilac-hair land....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.