Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bodies...The Exhibition

Bodies...The Exhibition

Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:32 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bodies...The Exhibition

Originally Posted by Englishmum
All the exhibits are of people who donated their bodies for plasticination ............

I think there has been a fair amount of controversy as to whether the donors were fully informed as to what, exactly, they were consenting to.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:54 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think there has been a fair amount of controversy as to whether the donors were fully informed as to what, exactly, they were consenting to.
Probably not so any more, due to the huge publicity around the BodyWorlds exhibit and the number of people who have signed up as a consequence.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:03 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
Anyone been to see Bodies....The Exhibition.... http://www.mhms.org ....I hear it's on in NY at present and will be here in Houston in Spring....sounds fascinating.
Yikes :scared: is that for real?? That'll be one time I won't be taking the kids to the museum :scared:
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:05 am
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Yikes :scared: is that for real?? That'll be one time I won't be taking the kids to the museum :scared:
Mine are old enough to actually WANT to see stuff like that !!!!......... Is it coming to TN ?
Old Jan 5th 2006, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
The "real" one is in Philadelphia right now but is moving on to other parts of the US:
http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/pages/ausstellung_usa.asp
The "Body worlds" Exhibition is also at the "Ontario Science Museum" in Toronto. Went to see it last week, very good.
Also went to see at the IMAX (at the science museum) the "Human body" movie...it was good but also :scared:
Old Jan 5th 2006, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I saw it in a large warehouse in Brick Lane in London about two years ago; it was so successful that they had to extend the exhibition dates twice. I also saw it in Cleveland last May and it was much, much smaller than the Bodyworld exhibition in London - I think they've split up the exhibits to show them simultaneously in various American cities and I also think it's currently on in Philadephia too.

At the London one I vividly remember standing inside a group of four dead bodies, all sliced up and in different poses ie. a goalkeeper stretching to save a ball, a cyclist, a ballerina and a weightlifter.....oddly enough they were all wearing wigs. I suddenly began to feel rather queasy and had to walk away. The most memorable exhibits were of unborn babies...some were very deformed - also there was a woman who was five months pregnant and her tummy was open so you could see directly inside her unborn baby.

It was interesting to see what a tumour looked like (eg. kidney cancer) and the effects of smoking on the lungs. They have a new technique where they can preserve body fat so in Cleveland they had the body of a normal sized male next to an obese one and you could see the fat as it was displayed just like rashers of bacon.....

All the exhibits are of people who donated their bodies for plasticination and the public is not informed who they were or which nationality they were. My husband and daughter actually signed up to donate their bodies (although I wouldn't have a clue as to how or whom I should get in contact with if anything happened to them!). There are also animals on display too; I've seen in London a 'knight' on a horse, in Cleveland a herd of camels and in both cities the complete blood supply system of a rabbit.

It really is an amazing exhibition and worth going to for sure. Going off-topic, I understand that there is a Tutenkhamun exhibition in Florida - I always wanted to see it in London after seeing it on Blue Peter when I was a little girl but never had the opportunity to go.....has anyone seen it in the US and is it worth making a special trip to go there or should I save up and go to Cairo?
Just hang around FL during their winters and you'll see living specimens of Tutenkhamen, e.g. the wrinkly snowbirds and retirees!
Old Jan 5th 2006, 2:40 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Bodies...The Exhibition

Originally Posted by Celsius
Just hang around FL during their winters and you'll see living specimens of Tutenkhamen, e.g. the wrinkly snowbirds and retirees!
Yes, quite a few neighbours and residents of local towns here in NJ all have condos in Florida and are there right now...won't come back North until Spring.

Has the car accident rate gone up with all those 90 year olds driving in FL?
Old Jan 8th 2006, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

BlightyBoy is on a distinguished road

I really enjoyed seeing this in London. I also really enjoyed coming out and walking past the que going in while exclaiming in a distressed fashion, loud enough to hear, that the horrific images would stay with me for the rest of my life!!!
Old Jan 8th 2006, 6:08 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BlightyBoy
I really enjoyed seeing this in London. I also really enjoyed coming out and walking past the que going in while exclaiming in a distressed fashion, loud enough to hear, that the horrific images would stay with me for the rest of my life!!!

lol that's the way to do it