Reload this Page >

BNO Passport Problem

BNO Passport Problem

Old May 18th 2012, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

chuckie201 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BNO Passport Problem

Hey guys, my first post,
I currently live in New York after moving from Hong Kong many, many years ago. I own a BNO and it was up for renewal last month. As part of the process I have to send my old passport and my current Hong Kong Residency Card to the processing centre in Washington D.C. 5 weeks later, they mailed back my passport but not my Hong Kong Residency Card. I went to the consulate in NYC but to no avail. What can/should I do?

~Chuck
Old May 19th 2012, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

winterbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BNO Passport Problem

Is that the Hong Kong ID card you are referring to" Try to contact the processing centre directly? I renewed mine in UK, and they didn't need my Hong Kong ID for renewal? If they asked that from you on the form, then they should know you have sent to them and didn't get it back.

Worst case scenario, declare a loss and then apply for a replacement through Hong Kong immigration - they have really efficient online application now, you only need to show up in person to collect it though - so apply before you next trip to Hong Kong.
Old May 19th 2012, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

The only problem with Washington's line is that, Washington's phone line directs me to UK's useless pay phone line. Is there a direct live representative at the embassy or is it all computerized?
Old May 21st 2012, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chuckie201
The only problem with Washington's line is that, Washington's phone line directs me to UK's useless pay phone line. Is there a direct live representative at the embassy or is it all computerized?
Maybe you can try to email them, with whatever application reference number and other details to help them. I find UK government agencies respond better by emails/letters. That way, you can also keep a copy of all the correspondence of your enquiry

[email protected]
Old May 22nd 2012, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

1goodmay is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same issue. I received my BNO yesterday, but the HKID is not returned. The BNO was mailed from London, but I believe my HKID is still in Washington DC. Have they replied your email yet?
Old May 22nd 2012, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

They told me to call the Passport helpline which I suppose would not be very helpful since everytime I've tried calling the same woman picks up and it is in the UK. The HKID is probably in the embassy there. I might go to the British Embassy in person if I can't get through to anyone.
Old May 23rd 2012, 2:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It has been a few days and I have just realised what BNO stands for, duh.
Old May 23rd 2012, 2:45 am
Just Joined

1goodmay is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mean the Embassy in London?
Old May 23rd 2012, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Just a thought. If they sent the new BNO passport directly from London to you, maybe the initial documents you supplied, including HKID card is still Washington? They could have just verified them in Washington and had UK office to prepare and send you the new passport. Maybe the Washington branch will send back your document separately, at a later date?
Old May 23rd 2012, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

I think its possible, but I might have to go down to the Washington DC- British Embassy.
Old May 23rd 2012, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Ok, I got a pink delivery slip from USPS so I'm guessing it is from Washington.
Old May 28th 2012, 4:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If they have lost your Hong Kong ID card then you need to:

1. File a formal complaint with the Embassy in Washington and/or the Foreign Office in London; and

2. Apply to the Hong Kong Immigration Department for a replacement. The Chinese Embassy might be able to help, otherwise you would need to contact them directly in Hong Kong.
Old May 29th 2012, 3:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your new BN(O) passport is printed in the UK and dispatched by DHL. Your old passport and any supporting documents will be returned to you from Washington by DHL. So you will have two separate packages from DHL, one from the UK and one from Washington. It's not usual for them to be delivered a week or two apart, especially during the peak season.

If your old passport has been returned, but your HK ID card is missing, then I would definitely ring Careline and get them to escalate your case to Washington and get Washington to ring you back.
Old May 29th 2012, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Yea, I got my HKID through the mail yesterday. It would have been nice for them to print something on the original passport. Thanks guys for your input.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:32 am
Just Joined

winnie0331 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am actually having the same problem, the new passport is already arrived at May 24, but my Hong Kong ID Card is missing. I've called the customer service care line and email them for inquiry, but nobody was able to help me, not even able to provide a tracking information for the mailing package...