Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bloody Hell! Green Card approved already!

Bloody Hell! Green Card approved already!

Old Jul 27th 2006, 12:17 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bloody Hell! Green Card approved already!

Out of interest, how many of you who have replied in this thread went the Employment-based route to your GC? I was under the impression that a GC by marriage to a USC was quicker - hence my surprise that my transition from H1-B to GC went so quickly.

I re-entered the country on Advanced Parole yesterday, after my lawyer panicked and told me not to travel on my H1-B for the business trip I was leaving on that day. At Immigration I told the guy that this was my first entry on AP, and he laughed and told me I'd better get used to it. It was great to be able to reply that this would be my one and only AP entry, since my GC had been approved already! He was very friendly (for an Immigration officer) and told me I'd done the right thing, and that they wouldn't keep me more than a few minutes in secondary processing, since everything was pretty straightforward in my case.

Having been extremely nervous about using AP, they only kept me in the "back room" for about 5 minutes while they processed my paperwork. Asked me my job title, company, mother's name, father's name and my US address, and then let me go. What a relief!

Got home to find that two of our four Letters of Approval have actually arrived before our Welcome Letters. They say that our actual cards will arrive within 15 days.

I still can't quite believe it's all gone this fast. Just two weeks ago my lawyer told me to expect a 1 or even 2-year wait for my case to be complete!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Out of interest, how many of you who have replied in this thread went the Employment-based route to your GC? I was under the impression that a GC by marriage to a USC was quicker - hence my surprise that my transition from H1-B to GC went so quickly.

I re-entered the country on Advanced Parole yesterday, after my lawyer panicked and told me not to travel on my H1-B for the business trip I was leaving on that day. At Immigration I told the guy that this was my first entry on AP, and he laughed and told me I'd better get used to it. It was great to be able to reply that this would be my one and only AP entry, since my GC had been approved already! He was very friendly (for an Immigration officer) and told me I'd done the right thing, and that they wouldn't keep me more than a few minutes in secondary processing, since everything was pretty straightforward in my case.

Having been extremely nervous about using AP, they only kept me in the "back room" for about 5 minutes while they processed my paperwork. Asked me my job title, company, mother's name, father's name and my US address, and then let me go. What a relief!

Got home to find that two of our four Letters of Approval have actually arrived before our Welcome Letters. They say that our actual cards will arrive within 15 days.

I still can't quite believe it's all gone this fast. Just two weeks ago my lawyer told me to expect a 1 or even 2-year wait for my case to be complete!
fantastic news am dead pleased for you
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:37 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Employment-based for me...took 3½ years from end-to-end, but I was stuck in the 485 backlog for 2½ of those years. I feel sorry for those now caught in the visa regression issue.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:47 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I was a K1, I'll check those dates again, but I think they're right. Married in Feb 04, applied for AOS, dated April 04 got my GC in Aug 05. My original application went through the Nebraska Service Centre (We lived in Chicago) who seemingly are the slowest. And then we moved to NJ, which slowed it down even more.

Last edited by gruffbrown; Jul 27th 2006 at 3:57 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:22 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, how many of you who have replied in this thread went the Employment-based route to your GC?

I re-entered the country on Advanced Parole yesterday, after my lawyer panicked and told me not to travel on my H1-B for the business trip I was leaving on that day.
We went the employment based route, and told 4 months (though we have put of our medical for about 2 months!) Don't know why there are loads of concerns about people travelling before actually getting the green card. As hubby asked that specific question to our visa expert/lawyer who said there was no problem travelling and there hasn't been!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
We went the employment based route, and told 4 months (though we have put of our medical for about 2 months!) Don't know why there are loads of concerns about people travelling before actually getting the green card. As hubby asked that specific question to our visa expert/lawyer who said there was no problem travelling and there hasn't been!
I'm currently on AP and it's a right royal pain. We went up to Vancouver for a weekend, and the Canadians didn't do anything with my paperwork (well, why should they, they saw my UK passport and just let me in). When we came back, the US immigration officials had a blue fit and said I should have had stuff stamped when I left. They made me feel like a criminal while they made secret phone calls and pretended to photocopy things. Big show of control freakery.

I'm in no hurry to do it again, so I want to wait for the GC before any more international travel.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:49 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cinnabar
I'm currently on AP and it's a right royal pain. We went up to Vancouver for a weekend, and the Canadians didn't do anything with my paperwork (well, why should they, they saw my UK passport and just let me in). When we came back, the US immigration officials had a blue fit and said I should have had stuff stamped when I left. They made me feel like a criminal while they made secret phone calls and pretended to photocopy things. Big show of control freakery.

I'm in no hurry to do it again, so I want to wait for the GC before any more international travel.
we haven't tried to go to canada yet but thanks for the warning! It wasn't your fault it was theirs!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:50 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
Here are the specifics of the situation, and why my lawyer quite rightly was concerned.

I received an email on Friday morning saying my Adjustment of Status had been approved. I was flying to the UK later that day.

Since my AOS case was now officially complete, my lawyer warned me not to use my H1-B visa to travel on. His reasoning, which was confirmed by Immigration on my return, was that travelling on a NON-IMMIGRANT visa after approval of Immigrant status could be seen by the system as being an abandonment of my immigrant application.

So, I used my Advanced Parole document for the first and last time. Nothing was stamped when I left the US, nor when I left the UK. When I left the US I was asked to use the US Visit system (seems to be on a trial-only basis right now) and they insisted on recording my H1-B visa number. When I left the UK they also insisted on taking my visa number, even though I was travelling on AP. The lady at the BA checkin counter claimed never to have seen an AP document, and wouldn't accept it as proof that I was fit to travel. I arrived at DFW with my unused, unmarked AP document, and they took it and stamped it. That was all.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:54 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

So, I used my Advanced Parole document for the first and last time. Nothing was stamped when I left the US, nor when I left the UK. When I left the US I was asked to use the US Visit system (seems to be on a trial-only basis right now) and they insisted on recording my H1-B visa number. When I left the UK they also insisted on taking my visa number, even though I was travelling on AP. The lady at the BA checkin counter claimed never to have seen an AP document, and wouldn't accept it as proof that I was fit to travel. I arrived at DFW with my unused, unmarked AP document, and they took it and stamped it. That was all.
Bet you got a secondary inspection when you got back?
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My husband had a L1 visa...our GC only took a few months. While we were waiting for the GC's my FIL had a heart attack...we had to go to the USCIS in Newark to apply for AP. Like you on arrival in the US we had to go into the waiting room at Newark airport...answer a few questions...then we were on our way. My husband used the AP several times during the following weeks but wasn't detained again.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I was a K1, I'll check those dates again, but I think they're right. Married in Feb 04, applied for AOS, dated April 04 got my GC in Aug 05. My original application went through the Nebraska Service Centre (We lived in Chicago) who seemingly are the slowest. And then we moved to NJ, which slowed it down even more.

They must have seen that photo of you wearing women's clothes and a blonde wig and thought you were a dodgy character.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
They must have seen that photo of you wearing women's clothes and a blonde wig and thought you were a dodgy character.
Dodgy? Moi? yeah OK...

Nice storm here by the way.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 12:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Dodgy? Moi? yeah OK...

Nice storm here by the way.
Here too. I can't remember a summer here with so much rain.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:17 am

Here are the specifics of the situation, and why my lawyer quite rightly was concerned.

I received an email on Friday morning saying my Adjustment of Status had been approved. I was flying to the UK later that day.

Since my AOS case was now officially complete, my lawyer warned me not to use my H1-B visa to travel on. His reasoning, which was confirmed by Immigration on my return, was that travelling on a NON-IMMIGRANT visa after approval of Immigrant status could be seen by the system as being an abandonment of my immigrant application.

good grief you have to have brains for this green card stuff, as I don't, I am glad my hubbys' handling it!
Old Jul 28th 2006, 3:07 am
Arrogant ****

Bet you got a secondary inspection when you got back?
Yup, but it only took 5 minutes, and the nice primary Immigration Officer assured me it would only take a few minutes when he saw my expression at the prospect!

A decade ago, when I was a student and they got me for a "real" secondary inspection at Dallas, it took me 5 hours to get back out, all of which was spent in an interrogation room being shouted at!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.