Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bloody Americans

Bloody Americans

Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:41 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bloody Americans

We have a dump in our town, you take your trash, unload it, its free, everyones happy - especially if you want to get rid of a sofa or your garden cuttings.

I went today and it has been closed - the reason - someone got a nail in their tire and sued the town. Now no-one can use it. It is the most stupid thing I have ever heard of, and I can tell you I have heard some stupid things!

Patrick
Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:24 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bloody Americans

Originally posted by Patrick
We have a dump in our town, you take your trash, unload it, its free, everyones happy - especially if you want to get rid of a sofa or your garden cuttings.

I went today and it has been closed - the reason - someone got a nail in their tire and sued the town. Now no-one can use it. It is the most stupid thing I have ever heard of, and I can tell you I have heard some stupid things!

Patrick
Bummer. Sounds like a frivilous lawsuit to me. Some lawyers give everyone else a bad name. How much damage can be done to a $80 tyre to justify a law suit?

Did they have a no liabilty sign on display at the entrance? always easy, put up a sign and if you dont mind the risk on you go but dont come crying when you get hurt.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:04 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Duncs
Did they have a no liabilty sign on display at the entrance? always easy, put up a sign and if you dont mind the risk on you go but dont come crying when you get hurt.
I seem to remember reading that these are not accepted as a defence against liability claims in English and Welsh law - not sure if it is the same over here.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 8:19 pm
British Trailer Trash

jaybob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Duncs
Bummer. Sounds like a frivilous lawsuit to me. Some lawyers give everyone else a bad name. How much damage can be done to a $80 tyre to justify a law suit?

Back home in blighty we're doing our best to catch up. On the news today - last year negligence claims against schools cost £200 million and negligence claims aginst the NHS over £400 million. the claims aren't rising, they're accelerating. It makes my blood boil, I'm not saying there aren't valid cases, but it seems like thre are a lot of free riding opportunist out there who ultimately take from the school and hospital budgets.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 9:34 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by nxylas
I seem to remember reading that these are not accepted as a defence against liability claims in English and Welsh law - not sure if it is the same over here.
it depends on the circumstances. there is no blanket ban. They dont remove your duty of care but they can act to meet a defendants duty of care. It depends on an assessment of circumstances. They wont exempt you if other measures could have easily been taken to remove potential and forseeable hazards. Ultimately it depends on what the court views as reasonable in the circumstances and the level of duty owed to a victim. Tort law is a pretty nebulous subject.

Thats part of the problem and has led to the area expanding to the point of abuse. Of course some might prefer to live in a world where you cant sue but i wonder if you would feel the same if someone elses negligence killed/injured your child or wife? In many areas the only incentive for companies to adjust their behaviour is the cost of large law suits. For that reason some law suits have social utility and i have no doubt save some lives. It is unfortunate however that some people see an easy chance for a quick buck and the system is inefficient at weeding out bad claims quickly.

it is not always about something for nothing though sometimes it is about righting wrongs a 'tort' is at its simplest a 'wrong' done and the system is supposed to provide a legal rational basis for correcting these wrongs. That is not always a bad thing and lots of tort claimants have perfectly good and reasonable claims. If you asked people in wheelchairs or missing limbs who sue succesfully if they think they got something for nothing they would i have no doubt strongly disagree.

Last edited by Duncs; Mar 10th 2004 at 9:44 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Patrick
So where will the Lone Ranger take his rubbish/trash now if he can't take it ...........
To the dump, to the dump, to the dump dump dump !

Sorry, to good to resist
Old Mar 11th 2004, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Polaris_x

If I had my way, I'd shoot those attorneys in the head, and the people bringing the lawsuits. They're nothing but a drag on society, and ultimately cost us people money.
If I had my way I'd shoot all attorneys in the head.

Mind you, I do work for a law firm
Old Mar 11th 2004, 2:21 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Big Vern
If I had my way I'd shoot all attorneys in the head.

Mind you, I do work for a law firm
No Big Vern ! Don't ! The granny was just reaching for her purse !

*BANG !*
Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:15 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I have the LAZIEST rubbish bin men I've ever heard of.

If something falls out of a bag they leave it right where it is... and the reason I have bags on the curb instead of cans is they are refusing to empty cans because they cause back injuries.

Who says they have to lift the whole bloody can?

Why can't they lift out the bags the way I do on the morning they come?

Did they not ask to be trash men.... did they not fill out an application to work as trash men?

Lazy buggers I call them!

They took their time emptying the cans the day we moved in... Todd had thrown out a bundle of nudy mags we found in the basement.

Oh yeah! They didn't mind delving into those.

What pisses me off most (No, I'm not done yet) Is that if I pass them in my car they wave and whistle.

It wouldn't get them anywhere if I was single.... I wouldn't waste my time with anyone afraid of throwing their back out!
Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

What pisses me off most (No, I'm not done yet) Is that if I pass them in my car they wave and whistle.

I remember seeing a quote from Cher once when she first moved to London. She moved into an area around docklands where there was a lot of development (ie builders) and she was constantly being wolf-whistled.
As big a star as she is she said she still found it flattering
Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:25 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by rogerpenycate

I remember seeing a quote from Cher once when she first moved to London. She moved into an area around docklands where there was a lot of development (ie builders) and she was constantly being wolf-whistled.
As big a star as she is she said she still found it flattering

I wouldn't mind at all if I didn't know that they are so bloody lazy! And the bloke what drives the truck leers... it's creepy!
Old Mar 11th 2004, 6:05 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick, that sounds so ridiculous on their part. Reminds me of that time when that brilliant lady was going to sue McRaunchies for selling her steaming hot coffee after she put it between her own legs, drove off, and burned herself...and at that time, I was working a summer job in a convenience store...they made sure the coffee they sold was lukewarm so they wouldn't get sued? It's like the movie "Dumb and Dumber"
Old Mar 12th 2004, 12:58 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jcapulet
Patrick, that sounds so ridiculous on their part. Reminds me of that time when that brilliant lady was going to sue McRaunchies for selling her steaming hot coffee after she put it between her own legs, drove off, and burned herself...and at that time, I was working a summer job in a convenience store...they made sure the coffee they sold was lukewarm so they wouldn't get sued? It's like the movie "Dumb and Dumber"
The facts behind the McDonald's coffee burning lawsuit
Old Mar 12th 2004, 1:14 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Okie dokie.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick
I had a conversations in regards to the number of stupid lawsuits over here with a couple of Americans and their view is that people mainly sue so they can retire early (Greed) they are just as feed up with it as we are.

People suing fastfood joints for making them fat etc the list goes on and on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.