Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Blatant drive by the UK government to weed off British citizens

Blatant drive by the UK government to weed off British citizens

Old Jun 7th 2013, 2:07 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blatant drive by the UK government to weed off British citizens

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
The consulate is not closing. Passport processing has been slowly consolidated back into the Uk passport office rather than being handled by individual consulates.

I don't think the consulate has actually been processing them for about a year or so.
Yes, the consulate will remain, but responsibility for passports is being passed to the Home Office in the UK. The consulate is still processing applications at the moment however.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
So why did it cost more to get a passport from the US than while in the UK? Or am I misremembering?
It does cost a lot more to apply for a passport overseas than it does in the UK. The current higher cost of applying for a passport overseas was justified as the cost of maintaining passport offices around the world with relatively low numbers of applications being processed per office each year.

Initially a major selling point of returning passport applications to the UK was that overseas customers would pay the UK price with only the extra courier fee added on. That decision has since been reversed and overseas customers will continue to pay the current higher overseas fee until further notice.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That decision has since been reversed and overseas customers will continue to pay the current higher overseas fee until further notice.
I am shocked, SHOCKED to learn this.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:08 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
That'd make for a pretty boring thread title though...." Oh dear we need to put a different address on our passport application every 10 years....."
It will, however, put a lot of emphasis on us getting it right first time. Having had 2 requests for 'other stuff' recently on the renewal of my son's passport, having to send the 'other stuff' off to the UK rather than DC will add to the time and cost for the individual.

I was very impressed with the exception process that DC have for dealing with things - for some reason I hold out less hope that a UK based processing centre will be as understanding in dealing with such exceptions caused by the expat community. I hope to be proven wrong in 5 years time when the child's passport needs renewing again.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:54 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I was referring to the bollocks title implying that the govt are somehow trying to get rid of british citizens by forcing them to use a different office.

I never had anything but crap service from Washington, so I won't miss it at all. If (if!) moving it back to the UK means you can actually get hold of someone that knows what they are doing, without having to call a $4.95/minute call center in India, then "way to go" HM govt!

I do object to the higher price being maintained for an overseas application, which appears to be unjustified, and makes a mockery of the reasoning behind the existing differential. To be honest, I can't get excited about the couple of dollars, and couple of days difference in mailing to the UK vs mailing to Washington ... It probably equates to the hold time on the call center line...
Old Jun 7th 2013, 5:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... That decision has since been reversed and overseas customers will continue to pay the current higher overseas fee until further notice.
So what is to prevent you just having your new passport mailed to a relative in the UK? .... Or IF they're paying attention to where the application was mailed from, mailed via a relative?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:49 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So what is to prevent you just having your new passport mailed to a relative in the UK? .... Or IF they're paying attention to where the application was mailed from, mailed via a relative?
Well, nothing really. Officially it's not allowed, so you'd have to get a UK form from somewhere other than directly from the Passport Office and if your relative was out when it was delivered then they might have trouble collecting it on your behalf from the PO since it will be sent Recorded Delivery.

But then you could do that now if you wanted and few people do. For most it's a once-in-ten-year event and if you do travel that frequently, then renew it when you're in the UK with the one day service.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:19 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

So why did it cost more to get a passport from the US than while in the UK? Or am I misremembering?
What does it say under "issuing authority"? British Embassy, Washington DC or UKPA?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's what I did. Took a little over a week for a renewal and sons first application and cost about $150 or so less. Can't remember exactly, it may have been more.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:01 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

It does cost more in the US. Partly to cover the cost of couring the new passport from the UK to your address by DHL. That's why I think the cost of overseas passports, if they do drop in price, it will not be to UK level as they will still have to courier the new passport to the receipient.

Best we can hope is the passport price is the same, but with the delivery fee added as a seperate charge.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 4:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caritas
I have recently applied to renew my UK passport from the United States, and over 4 weeks after I still have not received the new passport or an update on my renewal application. When I called the British Embassy, Washington DC, I was shocked to find that that I could not speak to the Passport Processing Team, which is few blocks away from the Embassy. I was given a Passport Information Helpline +44 208 082 4729 in UK, and little did I know that the shock of my life was about to come with a message:

Calls will be charged to your credit card at GBP 0.72 + VAT per minute (your telephone provider may also charge for the international call). Please have your credit card available when calling.

I reluctantly paid to get my passport, and that was not straightforward nor made it easy. I was told to wait for a response in up to 3 days!

Luckily, the following day they left a telephone message for me along with this email:

Title: RE: Passport Application for ######### ######### USW--------------------------------------------

Dear ### ##############,

Thank you for your recent application(s) for a British passport.
In order for us to continue processing your application(s), you will need to provide the following documents/information:

Ø Current Photo ID –
o Send a good copy of the photo page of your non-UK passport
OR
o Send two forms of government issued photo ID (e.g. resident card, driving licence, work authorisation card, Canadian Health Card).

Ø Historical ID/Documentation – We require historical documentation such as:

o Original issued short form birth certificate
o Student ID cards, vaccination cards or any other form of photographic identification
o Documents obtained during your time in the United Kingdom (if applicable) i.e. National Health card, school reports, photographs, baby book. (????????????)
o Passport you exit the UK on (I thought they should have noted that this was sent along with my application ????????????)
• School reports from any country other than the UK covering as many years as possible. (Seriously? I am not that young to have kept my school report after several years?)

o Evidence of your identity in the form of bank statements, credit card statements, store card statements, social security card, pay statements, tax statements, utility bills etc.
o Original hospital records or medical documents from the time of your birth

Please send this to:
Attention: Pending Team
Washington RPPC
19 Observatory Circle NW
Washington, DC 20008
USA
Ref no: USW--------------------------------------------

Please supply the requested documentation/information within 30 days of this email, otherwise we will assume that you no longer wish to continue with your application(s) and it/they will be withdrawn. Any supporting documents will be returned to you by DHL.

A request for this kind of information is absolutely not usual for a renewal of a passport. Either they have made a mistake (possible) or there is reason for doubt about either your identity and/or your British citizenship. Which means they are asking you to re-evidence both from documentation other than your existing passport.

Foreign Office policy states that fees for unsuccessful/withdrawn applications are not to be refunded (Another manna from heaven for Dave (Cameron) and Co!). If you wish to apply for a passport in the future you will be required to submit a new application together with supporting documents and fees.
Labour changed the policy regarding unsuccessful applications.

Have things got so bad in UK that the Government has decided to declare foreign-based UK citizens persona non grata? Could weeding off UK citizens be a Tory form of enforcing austere measures too? I wonder.

All this changed under Labour (Blair). The overseas passport service was a lot better in the 1980s/90s before it got "outsourced" to private companies running premium rate phone lines, etc.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 6:50 am

rebelaine is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Blatant drive by the UK government to weed off British citizens

I see where you're coming from.

My credit card was charged 5 months ago, and I am still waiting for my renewal passport.

I finally got through to someone on the phone ($) a month ago. He advised that the application is still sitting in Washington, DC, "awaiting security check from the UK". He further advised that there was nothing he could do to expedite it. Great service!
Old Jun 16th 2013, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by rebelaine
I see where you're coming from.

My credit card was charged 5 months ago, and I am still waiting for my renewal passport.

I finally got through to someone on the phone ($) a month ago. He advised that the application is still sitting in Washington, DC, "awaiting security check from the UK". He further advised that there was nothing he could do to expedite it. Great service!
Fraud prevention by the ONS. Sounds like another British citizen with the same name and date of birth as you has died and they want to make sure you're not doing a 'Day of the Jackal' and stealing a dead person's identity.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:34 am

Thumbs down Re: Blatant drive by the UK government to weed off British citizens

Hmmm, does it take 5 months to figure that out? It's not a common name. So much for high tech.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 1:21 am

received passport yesterday, July 5th. No explanation/apology for delay. Guess I'm now g2g
Old Jul 6th 2013, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

For most it's a once-in-ten-year event and if you do travel that frequently, then renew it when you're in the UK with the one day service.
Exactly what I did last year. Same day service at the London Passport Office. 5hrs later a new UK passport cost approx $211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.