Black Ice

Old Feb 28th 2007, 11:50 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black Ice

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You'll get no abuse from me, anything is better than nothing! The only awkward point is the Mrs. trouble with the slide. Unfortunately that would be a problem with nearly any semi auto. It will loosen up slightly as the recoil spring breaks in and if she practices with it enough she'll likely find a technique that works for her. The type of revolver that Ray posted is an excellent choice for a carry/home defense handgun but isn't exactly comfortable or accurate as an all round "fun gun". The problem with that is it won't get practiced with as often as a defensive handgun should.

That Hi-Point is an ugly beast though.
True. A Taurus would be okay too and, as I said if the wife is comfy with a firearm we will look at that. In fact her uncles mags are both Taurus and I know they are thought of as not being too bad quality wise. It never occured to me that the spring would lighten up and also she should become stronger the more she has to pull the slide back.

We are just testing the water really. We are hoping we will never ever need to use it for self defence and we don't intend on a concealed permit. A revolver would defo be better for her though so we shall see. To Ray - go for it mate. It is ugly for sure but for two ton who's complaining about looks. You shouldn't pay more than 150 though brand new. In fact, as you will have seen on the site, they also do a carbine that aint bad for 130.
Oh crap. I have hijacked my own thread. Sorry guys (you dirty rats!!!)
Old Mar 1st 2007, 11:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Not only is black ice a very talented African American 'spoken word artist' - that's a poet to us brits who say what we mean and mean what we say - but it is also a horrible thing that sits on the road awaiting new and old drivers alike. So, imagine my horror when the other night, just a week or so after getting my license, I hit a patch and slid out onto a four lane highway, swerved to avoid one car, ended up facing the wrong way on the road and had another car do a 360 to avoid hitting me!!!

I spent a few minutes panicking after getting the car under control and wondering what I did wrong. A few seconds later, in the exact same spot, a guy ran into the back of the car in front. I felt strangely vindicated. It wasn't my lack of driving experience after all. It was the fault of that dang nabit black ice (not the poet if his lawyer is reading).

So, any advice as to how one might go about moving out of west michigan for somewhere with no ice whatsoever, on a limited budget (current bank balance stands at around 248 dollars). Perhaps we could came and stay at Rays for a while - just me, the missus, daughter, goldfish and the rest of the of michigan. You won't even know we are there Ray. Promise
My daughter spun her car around 3 times on Sunday night due to black ice. Fortunately for her the freeway was deserted 'cos of the weather forecast...I dread to think what could have happened.
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:21 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

It happened again!!!!! Oh dear. This was quite scary too.
Driving home from Battle Creek today. Periodically there was snow blowing across the road from fields dropping visibility to a few feet beyond the bonnet. At one point it was so bad that visibility was zero when all of a sudden a large dark shape loomed before us. I hit the brakes and went into a skid. We could just make out three vehicles that had hit each other in this white out patch. Thank god there was nothing on the other side of the road as we were sliding along on it for about 50 yards before getting the car under control. Mrs Sod was terrified of course. It was another nasty experience. At this rate we really will be moving south when the inlaws go!!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 11:12 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

True. A Taurus would be okay too and, as I said if the wife is comfy with a firearm we will look at that. In fact her uncles mags are both Taurus and I know they are thought of as not being too bad quality wise. It never occured to me that the spring would lighten up and also she should become stronger the more she has to pull the slide back.

We are just testing the water really. We are hoping we will never ever need to use it for self defence and we don't intend on a concealed permit. A revolver would defo be better for her though so we shall see. To Ray - go for it mate. It is ugly for sure but for two ton who's complaining about looks. You shouldn't pay more than 150 though brand new. In fact, as you will have seen on the site, they also do a carbine that aint bad for 130.
Oh crap. I have hijacked my own thread. Sorry guys (you dirty rats!!!)
I had a Taurus 9mm revolver but the recoil was incredible so I'm back to my 9mm semi-auto. I can deal with the slide fine with the models I use regularly.

If you have a gun shop/range near you that rents 9mm revolvers (could be rare but worth checking into), have your wife try one out. The recoil really is something else. If she is experienced with something of a bigger caliber than a 9mm, she may be able to handle a 9mm revolver.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:21 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

It happened again!!!!! Oh dear. This was quite scary too.
Driving home from Battle Creek today. Periodically there was snow blowing across the road from fields dropping visibility to a few feet beyond the bonnet. At one point it was so bad that visibility was zero when all of a sudden a large dark shape loomed before us. I hit the brakes and went into a skid. We could just make out three vehicles that had hit each other in this white out patch. Thank god there was nothing on the other side of the road as we were sliding along on it for about 50 yards before getting the car under control. Mrs Sod was terrified of course. It was another nasty experience. At this rate we really will be moving south when the inlaws go!!!!

I know you're a fairly new driver and this is going to sound harsh, but I mean it as constructive critisicm. If you were going fast enough to slide 50 yards in near zero visibility conditions, you were going too fast. Chalk it up to education and I'm glad everyone was OK!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:52 am
Bugger Off!

I know you're a fairly new driver and this is going to sound harsh, but I mean it as constructive critisicm. If you were going fast enough to slide 50 yards in near zero visibility conditions, you were going too fast. Chalk it up to education and I'm glad everyone was OK!
Appreciated. Perhaps I exagerate though. It seemed like about a mile we skidded actually but probably wasn't very far at all. That said, I was going too fast but let me explain.......it all started like this (que the music ha ha).

Each time we hit one of these 'patches' we were through them in a few seconds. The road was pretty much empty out in the country and not a highway, so I would slow down to 35 when I saw a patch coming up. Between patches of drift the visibility was perfect and the sun was shining. I am sure you have experienced this before.

In this last case I slowed to 30 but it was still obciously too fast. I had expected to be through it though in a few seconds. In this case I was wrong because it was much bigger. Your comments do not sound at all harsh and I am grateful for the input. If I survive this first winter I will be glad. I am chalking all of these incidents up to experience and will be more aware should I come across this situation again.

We have just been out to Walmart and the roads were so icy that three times, once at a busy intersection, the car refused to move. Fortunately everybody was the same and everybody was keeping many car lengths between each other and doing not much above 20 on a 50 road.

I am kind of glad I have had the chance to learn to drive in these conditions though because summer driving will be a breeze (if I make it to summer lol).
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:56 am
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I had a Taurus 9mm revolver but the recoil was incredible so I'm back to my 9mm semi-auto. I can deal with the slide fine with the models I use regularly.

If you have a gun shop/range near you that rents 9mm revolvers (could be rare but worth checking into), have your wife try one out. The recoil really is something else. If she is experienced with something of a bigger caliber than a 9mm, she may be able to handle a 9mm revolver.

NC Penguin
Worth thinking about, and again at risk of this being the wrong thread - would a .38 revolver be better for the little woman?
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 12:57 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Ray's long lost son!!!
Charlton Heston Jr.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:09 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Worth thinking about, and again at risk of this being the wrong thread - would a .38 revolver be better for the little woman?
.38 is likely to have a little more recoil than a 9mm. However, the force of recoil differs between brands of ammo of the same caliber. You just have to try different brands.

Again, find a local gun store/range that rents revolvers. That way you can try before you buy. If there's nothing within a reasonable driving distance, go to a gun show (with the wife) and have her try a revolver (dry firing of course) and speak to sellers about the difference of particular 9mm revolvers.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:13 am
Bugger Off!

.38 is likely to have a little more recoil than a 9mm. However, the force of recoil differs between brands of ammo of the same caliber. You just have to try different brands.

Again, find a local gun store/range that rents revolvers. That way you can try before you buy. If there's nothing within a reasonable driving distance, go to a gun show (with the wife) and have her try a revolver (dry firing of course) and speak to sellers about the difference of particular 9mm revolvers.

NC Penguin
Well her uncle has a Taurus .357, the first gun I have ever fired (which, being brought up in Manchester is quite an achievement ha ha), and I was suprised by the lack of recoil when loaded with 38's? I don't think a .357 would suit her of course but I will get her to try it out and see how she feels.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:18 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Well her uncle has a Taurus .357, the first gun I have ever fired (which, being brought up in Manchester is quite an achievement ha ha), and I was suprised by the lack of recoil when loaded with 38's? I don't think a .357 would suit her of course but I will get her to try it out and see how she feels.
Does this uncle use reloads? Some people who reload put less powder in each cartridge. This will account for the lighter recoil. In any case, your reaction to recoil is probably markedly different to your wife (unless you're both the same height, weight and build).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 1:51 am
Bugger Off!

Does this uncle use reloads? Some people who reload put less powder in each cartridge. This will account for the lighter recoil. In any case, your reaction to recoil is probably markedly different to your wife (unless you're both the same height, weight and build).

NC Penguin
I don't know about reloads to be honest. The missus is about the same height, weightwise I don't know but I guess she is somewhat lighter. She does have trouble pulling back the slide on the 9ml though. I certainly don't want to have a round in the chamber while we have a child in the house so we will be looking into something more appropriate. As I have said, fingers crossed she, nor I, will never need to use it. I always think it is better to be prepared though, in this country at least.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 2:33 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

One with a ported barrel is better ..and the shorter the barrel
the more kick ...
type of ammo can make a difference as well ..
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 4:52 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Weight is also a big factor, some of the new super lightweight short barreled models must be harsh even with mild .38 loads. Full house .357 in a titanium snubbie must feel like letting a grenade off in your hand.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 4:55 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Weight is also a big factor, some of the new super lightweight short barreled models must be harsh even with mild .38 loads. Full house .357 in a titanium snubbie must feel like letting a grenade off in your hand.
My wife manages...with her 642 ...took a while to get use to it
but no problem now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.