Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bit nifty with the hands anyone.

Bit nifty with the hands anyone.

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:20 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bit nifty with the hands anyone.

Has anyone in the USA tried to plaster a wall?

All I want to do is plaster my bathroom, the thing is, every where I go to try and buy a bag of finish plaster, the people look at me as if I am two ball points short of a pencil case and I have all but given up. The last guy in Home Depot tried to sell me a box of pollyfiller, I told him it was a 250 square foot wall and he should go and throw shite at the moon.

There must be some US equivalent of finish plaster, does anyone know what it is and where to get it.

Maybe I will see if B&Q will deliver state side.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bit nifty with the hands anyone.

Originally Posted by Rodney you plonker

All I want to do is plaster my bathroom, the thing is, every where I go to try and buy a bag of finish plaster, the people look at me as if I am two ball points short of a pencil case and I have all but given up. The last guy in Home Depot tried to sell me a box of pollyfiller, I told him it was a 250 square foot wall and he should go and throw shite at the moon.

There must be some US equivalent of finish plaster, does anyone know what it is and where to get it.

Is speckle the same?
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:23 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Is speckle the same?
Hey Jersey, how it going? I think spackle is similar to Polyfiller.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Silly Sod might know, he's been doing up he's old place quite well.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jersey, how it going? I think spackle is similar to Polyfiller.
Good thank and you...apart from not being able to find any plaster.

Speckle...Polyfiller...guess I'm the silly sod tonight.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 12:15 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I asked the man. He says that since they don't plaster walls here they don't have it as far as he knows. You might want drywall compound to join the seams of drywall together and which you can use to 'plaster'. It is in a green bucket.

He also wanted to know if this was to cover a 'bad' wall?

Last edited by TouristTrap; Jun 3rd 2007 at 12:23 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Do you have an old house with lath and plaster, or a newer house with sheetrock?
In my old house with lath and plaster I have tried fixing up cracked walls with "Sheetrock mud" comes in different grades including a finish coat. This doesn't work too well, eventually your cracks will show up again, although taping helps. Another idea if you don't want to pull off the lath and plaster is to put sheetrock up right over on top of the lath and plaster. They make "green" sheetrock for damp areas like bathrooms if near water splashing etc. Also 1/4" sheetrock for doing that.
If you have a newer house with sheetrock gone bad due to damp or mold, perhaps pull it off and start over with new sheetrock?
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 12:30 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Do you have an old house with lath and plaster, or a newer house with sheetrock?
In my old house with lath and plaster I have tried fixing up cracked walls with "Sheetrock mud" comes in different grades including a finish coat. This doesn't work too well, eventually your cracks will show up again, although taping helps. Another idea if you don't want to pull off the lath and plaster is to put sheetrock up right over on top of the lath and plaster. They make "green" sheetrock for damp areas like bathrooms if near water splashing etc. Also 1/4" sheetrock for doing that.
If you have a newer house with sheetrock gone bad due to damp or mold, perhaps pull it off and start over with new sheetrock?
Also known as cement board. Himself says that if you put drywall tape over the crack before you put the joint compound on, that it won't crack. Put it on and sand until you have a smooth finish.

Last edited by TouristTrap; Jun 3rd 2007 at 12:32 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:09 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Silly Sod might know, he's been doing up he's old place quite well.
Nope, not even seen a bag of plaster. Everything here seems to be dry wall.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Nope, not even seen a bag of plaster. Everything here seems to be dry wall.
So is that just another name for plaster or is dry wall like our gray hard board sheet stuff ?
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by britvic
So is that just another name for plaster or is dry wall like our gray hard board sheet stuff ?
Dry wall is the same as our plaster board. The difference is in the UK it is covered with a light coat of plaster...here the joins are taped and speckled...similar to Polyfiller.

If the wall is brick or breeze block...a thick rough coat of plaster is applied followed by a thin smooth coat.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Dry wall is the same as our plaster board. The difference is in the UK it is covered with a light coat of plaster...here the joins are taped and speckled...similar to Polyfiller.

If the wall is brick or breeze block...a thick rough coat of plaster is applied followed by a thin smooth coat.
I see, thankyou.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Use swimming pool plaster
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Also known as cement board. )
Cement board same as Durock or Wonderboard - good for tiling over in bathrooms. I was thinking of green sheetrock also - good for other areas of bathrooms.

Here's a link which shows a photo of both in use, and how they are taped together;
scroll down to the Matt R. post at time 21:11.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...272919019.html

For minor cracked lath and plaster walls I also have used Anaglypta wallpaper
after patching up. Home Depot has a book of it you can special order from.
Septics visiting are curious about the patterned stuff on the walls!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 4:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Cement board same as Durock or Wonderboard - good for tiling over in bathrooms. I was thinking of green sheetrock also - good for other areas of bathrooms.

Here's a link which shows a photo of both in use, and how they are taped together;
scroll down to the Matt R. post at time 21:11.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...272919019.html

For minor cracked lath and plaster walls I also have used Anaglypta wallpaper
after patching up. Home Depot has a book of it you can special order from.
Septics visiting are curious about the patterned stuff on the walls!
He redid our one small bath the other day. They've stopped recommending the green sheetrock as it tended to milldew. They sell one called 'paperless' or something in its stead - HD and Lowes. (sorry, he was on the other side of the room mumbling away )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.