Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Birth Certificate and letters

Birth Certificate and letters

Old May 1st 2013, 10:17 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birth Certificate and letters

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Agreed.

And you expected me to be aware of this how? By reading you mind? It wasn't mentioned in your posts. And from what I've read the Latin alphabet was originally 21 characters, several of which varied over the course of time between roughly the 7th to 3rd centuries BC. It wasn't expanded to 23 characters until the 1st century BC.

Regards, JEff
Jesus F##%ing Christ. I am bored now.

Last edited by kimilseung; May 1st 2013 at 10:30 pm.
Old May 1st 2013, 10:25 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's maiden name, her sister's maiden name, and her parents' surnames are all spelled differently when transliterated into the Roman (or English, to keep kimilseung happy) alphabet. (Their passports are all dual language, the second being English.) So different that one would never recognize them as being the same name, or pronounce them anwhere near the same way, unless one understood the various approaches that are used to transliterate the 40+ consonants and 20+ vowels of her language into our 26 character alphabet. Even though there is supposedly one official transliteration scheme approved by the government.

Hence my feeling that the variations in usage of the Roman alphabet by the various western European languages are so insignificant as to not constitute different alphabets.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
You would think with all the different spellings of names in the US they could get it right. To me, the name the name is spelt incorrectly. I am probably biased as one of my daughters is called Zoë not Zoe, Zoey, Zowie or any other concoction people come up with.
Old May 1st 2013, 10:27 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

F? I thought it was H.

OK, nevermind.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Jesus F Christ.
Old May 2nd 2013, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

savannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond reputesavannah_boy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting insight there people. So although our daughter is called Chloé and the birth certificate and SS card both said Chloe' we are changing everything to Chloe and will just write Chloé on anything non official and make sure SHE know who she is and how to spell