Reload this Page >

Bike/Moped long term rental or purchase for UK citizen

Bike/Moped long term rental or purchase for UK citizen

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Will21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bike/Moped long term rental or purchase for UK citizen

Hey everyone,

In preparation for moving out to Las Vegas (initially for 3 to 6 months), I’m currently trying to figure out transport. I continue to hear how important it is to have private transport, particularly as I’m planning on staying off The Strip.

I am currently focusing on figuring out a long-term rental or purchase of a moped or motorbike. I have passed my full motorbike test in the UK, and I’m a big fan of their convenience, affordability and feel good factor

I understand this could be quite tricky given that I’m from the UK and don’t have a US driving license (and probably some other documentation too). It sounds like I can get anything below a 50cc without the need for any kind of documentation. I would however prefer something a bit bigger and more powerful.

Any ideas or suggestions on this would be much appreciated.

I am not totally against the idea of getting a car but I expect that will have to be a long term rental which I imagine will be pretty $$$.

Thanks in advance

Will
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bike/Moped long term rental or purchase for UK citizen

Originally Posted by Will21
In preparation for moving out to Las Vegas (initially for 3 to 6 months)...
You aren't moving... you're visiting.

Ian
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 3:03 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.rtcsouthernnevada.com/tra...oute/index.cfm
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You aren't moving... you're visiting.

Ian
Right Good point
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks FB, although apparently the Deuce bus does not cut it in LV, and it's much better to have your own vehicle.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Hey everyone,

In preparation for moving out to Las Vegas (initially for 3 to 6 months), I’m currently trying to figure out transport. I continue to hear how important it is to have private transport, particularly as I’m planning on staying off The Strip.

I am currently focusing on figuring out a long-term rental or purchase of a moped or motorbike. I have passed my full motorbike test in the UK, and I’m a big fan of their convenience, affordability and feel good factor

I understand this could be quite tricky given that I’m from the UK and don’t have a US driving license (and probably some other documentation too). It sounds like I can get anything below a 50cc without the need for any kind of documentation. I would however prefer something a bit bigger and more powerful.

Any ideas or suggestions on this would be much appreciated.

I am not totally against the idea of getting a car but I expect that will have to be a long term rental which I imagine will be pretty $$$.

Thanks in advance

Will
I probably should have mentioned I have an International Driver's License, although I'm not sure how much difference this makes.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I probably should have mentioned I have an International Driver's License, although I'm not sure how much difference this makes.
If your own D/L is in English, it's useless. An IDL is really only useful if you have a foreign language D/L. You can drive on your UK license in the US for as long as you're visiting.

Ian
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 11:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks FB, although apparently the Deuce bus does not cut it in LV, and it's much better to have your own vehicle.
I'm sure it is. But for a visitor on a VWP it's going to be a pain in the backside driving it legally, and probably cost you more than using buses and the occasional taxi.

You need a driving license, registration of the car and insurance. If you leave for 90 days, you'll need to store the car and either surrender or suspend the registration or keep the insurance up. In addition, if CBP discover you've registered a car, you'll most probably be on the next flight home on your return to the US.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As a visitor, it's just not worth it.

Also, a bike, in a hot place, not the best form of a daily runner....think more of a weekend fun ride...because with the roads and drivers in general, you'll likely end up road kill, especially if you aren't used to the local driving conditions.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

I'm an avid rider and commute to work on my bike whenever I can.

Vegas in the summer is the first place ever that I encountered where it was too hot to ride. It goes way beyond unpleasant at those temperatures and pretty boils you in your own juice if you're wearing any sort of protective gear.

Which I'd heartly recommend as SMIDSY is even more prevalent here than it is in the UK.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
I'm an avid rider and commute to work on my bike whenever I can.

Vegas in the summer is the first place ever that I encountered where it was too hot to ride. It goes way beyond unpleasant at those temperatures and pretty boils you in your own juice if you're wearing any sort of protective gear.

Which I'd heartly recommend as SMIDSY is even more prevalent here than it is in the UK.
Thanks Tim. My plan is to avoid the summer months in LV, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

If I can't get anything more powerful than a 50cc without entangling myself in reams of red tape, I would be very happy settling with a 50cc.

I'm just so far hearing different stories on whether a UK driving license is sufficient to own and ride one in the US. I'll probably do some research on the DMV website, unless I hear back from anyone else.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just so far hearing different stories on whether a UK driving license is sufficient to own and ride one in the US. I'll probably do some research on the DMV website, unless I hear back from anyone else.
Most states, you can buy and own on a UK license without a problem.

The problem usually comes in trying to register, title and plate the motor.

Also depending on the state, you'd need to get a local license within x number of days, it is usually between 30-90 days, but some states as little as 10 days and some as much as 12 months.

The other issue will be finding insurance, especially at a decent rate.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Most states, you can buy and own on a UK license without a problem.

The problem usually comes in trying to register, title and plate the motor.

Also depending on the state, you'd need to get a local license within x number of days, it is usually between 30-90 days, but some states as little as 10 days and some as much as 12 months.

The other issue will be finding insurance, especially at a decent rate.
Cheers Bob.

Based on this website (http://www.ehow.com/facts_7453891_ne...c-scooter.html) and from reading around, it seems like I don't need to register it or hold insurance.

My main concern is if I get pulled over by the police, and show them my UK license, will that be ok?
Old Jun 7th 2012, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Bob.

Based on this website (http://www.ehow.com/facts_7453891_ne...c-scooter.html) and from reading around, it seems like I don't need to register it or hold insurance.

My main concern is if I get pulled over by the police, and show them my UK license, will that be ok?
It seems like the last FAQ in the first section answers this question:

http://www.dmvnv.com/faqs.htm
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Cheers Bob.

I would be very surprised you wouldn't get knicked for driving a vehicle on the roads without it being registered, titled and plated.

Also I thought NH was the only state that didn't have a insurance requirement. Even though, you'd want to have liability at the very least. And at a high level.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.