Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The biggest surprises

The biggest surprises

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default The biggest surprises

What surprised you the most about moving to the USA?

Me:
*Going to the Doctor costs HOW much???
*America really is such a big country (as in the movies)
*There really are very poor people, and lots of them.....
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 12:30 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Jeez, you're not kidding about the medical bills!! Medical insurance is a must!!
Hell, the things I could've bought with the amount my last bill came to. And I'm not even ill!

The vast size of this country still amazes me - I had to take two flights, connecting at Houston to get to Colorado.
I checked how long it would take to drive there - close to 30 hours! Whew! It only used to take me 8 or so hours to drive from Edinburgh to Cornwall.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 12:45 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't believe how friendly people seemed. When we first arrived, it was a Thursday evening. By Friday lunch time I had enough food to last me the weekend that people dropped off with their phone numbers. Yes, some of it was superficial but I didn't care. It was such a nice thought of everyone to think of us. Even though we don't live in the same state anymore, I still keep in touch with quite a few of my neighbours and they will be friends for life. Great people

I couldn't believe how rude people could be - I still can't get used to an adult saying 'wha' to me when I ask them a question! Or when they are being incompetent and actually get away with it and can't understand why I am cross!
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

That almost anywhere you go you can get some really fantastic beers! Not what I expected at all.

The driving test really is that easy.

It's always time for a 50%/75% sale.

People really do ask dumb questions all the time.

BBC America is rubbish 99% of the time.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:03 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
That almost anywhere you go you can get some really fantastic beers! Not what I expected at all.

Only 99% of the time?
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts

I have to agree with the beer selection. I always thought the American beer selection began with Bud and ended Lite, but the number of beers is incredible. A few of the places I frequent in DC have hundreds of beers, and one bar boasts over 3,000.

I was also overwhelmed by the portions of food. You get far too much for not a lot money. I believe it was restaurants trying to stay competitive, and not American appetites, that has caused the nation's penchant for overeating.

To my never ending surprise, many Americans think England (I try not to use UK or Britain because that only causes confusion) is nothing but Mary Poppins, english muffins, "soccer" riots, and the Queen, and beyond that, they dont seem to care.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 11:21 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest surprise for me here is religion.

Being a secular humanist in the bible belt is no picnic.

My other surprises include:

- Medical expenses :scared:

- Drive Thru Stores (we have a drive-thru dry cleaners and a liquor store here)

- How long the Interstates are (I regularly have to drive from Georgia to Louisiana)

- My monthly electric bill :scared:

- Racism

Last edited by rincewind; Feb 23rd 2004 at 11:24 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 11:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rincewind
- My monthly electric bill :scared:
Yes, why is it that "fuel" (petrol) is so cheap but "fuel" (electricity) is so flippin expensive? I just got a bill for $350 for a month, and I live in a shoebox by myself and never take a bath!
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 11:26 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I live in a shoebox by myself and never take a bath
Never??
Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:12 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dunroving
I live in a shoebox by myself and never take a bath!
Maybe the latter explains the former!!

350/month - yikes! There are 4 of us in a 3000 sqft house, and we only average 75/month - thru that nasty hot sticky Houston summer we still only got up to 150/month twice. Are you sure the neighbours haven't tapped into your meter....
Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough

- Racism [/QUOTE]

How can you be surprised of Racism in the US, they have it in all countries.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 1:48 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad

350/month - yikes! There are 4 of us in a 3000 sqft house, and we only average 75/month - thru that nasty hot sticky Houston summer we still only got up to 150/month twice. Are you sure the neighbours haven't tapped into your meter....
Maybe I should explain - I'm a shower man myself (cheaper than a bath). Thought that might get a few people jumping to conclusions.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the dog turns up the heat while Im at work.

Actually, you might not be far wrong - the neighbours have their heat/AC on constantly (and I mean it is literally ALWAYS running!)

1400 sq ft, new-ish heat/AC system, fairly temperate climate, new water heater, thermostat turns the heat/AC down at night and during the day. Can't understand it. Maybe I should contact the utility company.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
Jeez, you're not kidding about the medical bills!! Medical insurance is a must!!
Hell, the things I could've bought with the amount my last bill came to. And I'm not even ill!

The vast size of this country still amazes me - I had to take two flights, connecting at Houston to get to Colorado.
I checked how long it would take to drive there - close to 30 hours! Whew! It only used to take me 8 or so hours to drive from Edinburgh to Cornwall.

Only 30 hours!!! Heh, that's just a short drive to an American. It took me a couple of flights to get from Texas to Ohio, but like I said, to an American that's nothing.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad

You must have cheap electricity over there Yorkie. You wouldn't get away with bills that low here in Florida unless you lived in the tiniest of apartments and never ran the A/C. Our old house was over 3,000 sq ft and we were anything up to $450 in the summer and the lowest bill in the winter was $170. Even now that we've downsized and currently have 1900 sq ft under air- we average at $150 a month...Summer highs of over $200 and the lowest at $85.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The biggest surprises

Originally posted by Muswell Hill
What surprised you the most about moving to the USA?

That so many people live in abject poverty- thousands of people going hungry in America doesn't fit the image of the country that's portrayed over in Europe.

The kitchen equipment and appliances being so old fashioned.

Religion here in the South and prudish attitudes (dress codes for the beach!!! ).

That the land of the free.. really isn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.