Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Big Bear CA suggestions

Big Bear CA suggestions

Old Dec 21st 2012, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Big Bear CA suggestions

We're thinking of heading up to Big Bear Lake in California just before Christmas because it's supposed to be nice and Christmassy (and snowy). However, none of us are skiers and we have 4/5 year olds and babies. Any suggestions of what area is best to stay in, and what to do? We're thinking only 1 night so pretty much just 24 hours there. It looks like we can get a chalet type of thing, sleeping 6 officially , for $200-250, but I've no idea whether they're in a good place for anything. I guess we might be able to find a sledge somewhere, and we'd probably cook in the chalet rather than going out to eat. Thanks for any tips.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 4:19 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Big Bear CA suggestions

Look for the snow parks, they have them up here I'm sure they'd have them down south too, they will rent out little sleds to drag the baby about on and for the 5 year old to slide down the hill, loads of fun. Also Wal Mart will sell plastic sleds incase the park doesn't have any.
http://www.bigbearinfo.com/snowplay.html
Old Dec 21st 2012, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We went up about 9 years ago, during the summer. We rented a vacation house in Lake Arrowhead and it was really nice. Lake Arrowhead is pretty big and usually has a lot of different activities to offer, during the summer, not too sure about winter. But, my grandparents used to live up in Running Springs and whenever we'd go up there it was always just a play in the snow kind of relaxing time....

http://www.lakearrowhead.com/activities_winter.html
Old Dec 21st 2012, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Good ideas, thanks both.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 8:37 am
Just Joined

hullabaloo is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been to Big Bear for skiing and it's slightly trashy, IMHO. Perfect for a day or two at the slopes but I don't see much as far as other attractions - whatever they may be

From Victorville it's not too far to Alta Sierra, which is a nice destination. There is snow (skiing) and walking tracks in real pine forest. Stay longer than 1 day if you can. There are rentals here but it's peak time right now (ski season). Off-season it's wide open.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hullabaloo
I've been to Big Bear for skiing and it's slightly trashy, IMHO. Perfect for a day or two at the slopes but I don't see much as far as other attractions - whatever they may be

From Victorville it's not too far to Alta Sierra, which is a nice destination. There is snow (skiing) and walking tracks in real pine forest. Stay longer than 1 day if you can. There are rentals here but it's peak time right now (ski season). Off-season it's wide open.
Assuming it's the closest of the three Alta Sierras that Google found, it's still 3 hours away! Big Bear is only 45 minutes, hence a quick trip up there. Thanks for the suggestions though, which I'll keep in mind for the future.