Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Beware Of Tree Limbs, Isabell follow up.

Beware Of Tree Limbs, Isabell follow up.

Old Sep 29th 2003, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beware Of Tree Limbs, Isabell follow up.

Ok so it was time to get the chain saw out and remove the big Oak that fell in our garden.

Two days of sawing and splitting logs this weekend saw the conversion of one dead oak into 2 years fire wood. After sweating about 3 gallons of both sweat and blood, I decided to cut the last section that had fallen on the boundary and was wedged against another Oak. With 2 inches of trunk left to cut, the final 6inch diameter limb that I couldn’t get to suddenly found itself free from the adjoining tree

In a scene resembling Rambo First Blood the 30 foot limb that had been in a state of tension, gave one last gasp for freedom and shot from its position searching for a more relaxed state. Unfortunately its path was interrupted by an object, that object was attached to my shoulders lol and it promptly smacked me in the face at about 200mph or even faster ( more likely 300 mph)

Several minutes after that I woke to find myself blind in one eye and with a pretty major headache the resulting screams when I got back to the house suggested that perhaps the wound was worthy of more than some Savlon and an Elestoplast.

So I can now go down in the statistics as an Isabel injury victim. I tried out my medical insurance as well and it was good, was well looked after and received good treatment, but stitches still hurt even if your private lol. Had 17 in total and my eyelid sewn which is a new one to me, the headache is still there and my eye is black, and I still have a smell of saw dust which I think is wedged up my nose still.

Rob
Old Sep 29th 2003, 9:35 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

It's sometimes better to leave a few feet of trunk, that way the stump can be pulled out. We found out the hard way after Todd tried endlessly hitting it with his truck.

Hey, it was a great way to meet our new neighbours and it still gets mentioned now and then over a few beers.
Old Sep 30th 2003, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Geeze Rob that sounds terrible. Lucky you didn't do yourself more damage. Chainsaw accidents are the 2nd most highest emergency room casualties after a hurricane (we will put you up there in that category).