Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it a better life?

Is it a better life?

Old Aug 22nd 2019, 10:46 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it a better life?

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
in the last week I've seen a water moccasin fly through the water in the townlake in Austin. The lake that I row on. The lake that I capsized in a few weeks back. Our coach then told us about the time one tried to get into the rowing boat. Noooooo!

My next door neighbour has seen a coral snake in her yard 2x in the last few weeks. I no longer walk around the garden in my barefeet. Shall we talk about the Texas cockroaches????
Here in GA our indoor cat loves to go toe to toe (or should that be sharp tail to sharp claw?) with the local scorpions that make it into the house. He usually comes out on top.

We had a snake in our kitchen a year or so back, it was a black one though so I let it slither off on it's own. It went between a gap in the kitchen worktops and was never seen again. I assume it went back the way it came since it hasn't stunk up the place.

the feeling of happy is a better life.
I agree. OP, don't think I'm saying that I don't like it here, because I do and have built a good life that is better than it could have been in the UK - but that doesn't mean there aren't things I would change about the part of the world where I've ended up.

Last edited by civilservant; Aug 22nd 2019 at 10:49 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Florida a long time. Put me in the pile that says "no."

The salary is more than fine, but the issue is, you should be getting more than you get in the UK to make the move.

Animals like gators, etc are a non-factor, the vast, vast majority of residents never see them except in zoos, and they shouldn't be a consideration in the move.

Naples is a giant retirement community with a lot of traffic problems. Miami used to be the retirement centre but then in the 80s as the city transformed into South Beach etc, the olds moved across to the Gulf side of the state.

Publix is the main grocery chain in the state, very popular and something of a Floridian cultural icon. That's the online site to check for food prices.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luis22

we are in the Midlands so on his wage we are doing quite well. We have a 3.5 year old, 2 year old and 2 month old. He works in pre sales for a telecommunications company. I think he may be slightly over paid here for that role. I’m not sure.
What exactly is that job and how does that qualify for a company transfer? I thought a LI visa had to be done by a person who is the only person qualified to do the job and that the company has to show that they have looked for an American to fill the job. Also is it a managerial role as that would effect the class of L1 visa he gets. L1A, straight to greencard (as mention insist on that in your package), L1B, you will be limbo for several years. (again insist on Greencard)

Personally, at this moment, in time, I would not be moving to the US as like the UK, things are really uncertain in all sorts of way but then I am not young. At that age, I would have probably seen it has an adventure worth trying. Kids are young enough for you to move back without too much trauma if it doesn't work for any reason. I am well known for not particularly liking the USA but the way the UK is, I am not sure moving back is the answer either. We will see in about 4 yrs when the dust has settled in both countries and retirement beckons. Hopefully Boris can pull the rabbit out of the hat before the 31st Oct.

Yes, life would be different over here but there are always positives and negatives to be found wherever you live. Its how you choose to face those challenges as to how successful the move would be. How close are you to your families? That is a very important factor to consider as many young couples flounder due to the lack of outside help which families provide even if it just a night out once a month. My daughter who has one child, would not be able to live well, if I wasn't living close and looking after my grand daughter after school. In the summer she was able to get her in a school district full day camp ( 7am -7pm) which was cheap at $150 a week. As the summer holidays are on average 10 weeks, that was $1500 out of pocket, which as a single parent, was money she could ill afford, even though she is on an above average salary. Other camps in the area range from $250 -400 and that is not a full day. As to pre-school, which your son no doubt attends already , that is mostly private and is only available for free or nominal cost for low income families. Kindergartner starts at 5. In Texas it is pretty much like Primary 1 but in Florida, it might different, so check that out.

As to the 'Although my husband earns a very good wage here, we are living the same lifestyles as people not working as he is taxed so much and I am no longer working.' you obviously have no idea how people on benefits live. But you wouldn't be alone in that sentiment over here. Having several members of my family who work in Kent but who are on various benefits, I don't see that their lives are easy. Child benefit is the one that most people seem to forget. Not only does it protect your pension rights while you don't work, its also a considerable amount of money if you rely on it.

As to the heat which is different here from Florida, the 1st day we arrived the temp was in the 90's on the 1st day of April. Turned into one of the hottest they had and since then we have broken records most years. It wears me down, much like the dreary Scottish winter days we had, as its difficult to do anything in 100+F heat but you get use it (in a way). Now I think 85f is nice heat for the day and 65f is freezing Downside, my depression is now in the summer rather than the winter. So you will get use to the heat and your kids who are so young, won't even realise its that hot.

Good luck with the move.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
in the last week I've seen a water moccasin fly through the water in the townlake in Austin. The lake that I row on. The lake that I capsized in a few weeks back. Our coach then told us about the time one tried to get into the rowing boat. Noooooo!
I've long been of the opinion that snakes should be introduced to shotguns at the earliest opportunity, but since you're in Austin I suspect the local DA would be unimpressed with that course of action...
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping for some opinions from people that have made the move to USA. My husband has been told by his company that they can arrange a transfer to Naples Florida where they have their head office if he wants to go. He has always wanted to move to America but I have never moved from my home town. He is convinced it is a better life for our young children over there as they don’t have the same social problems that the UK does. Also he said that we could live a better life as his wage wound increase. I have read a few threads and I’m not so sure! His current wage is just under £100k. If transferred his wage would increase to $130-140k. I have read that your wage should double. I have also read the Naples area is our equivalent to Bournemouth! Is that a good place to take children, would there be good schools and things for them to do? Would I eventually be able to get a job when the children have grown up? Do you find it a better way of life than when you lived in the UK? Although my husband earns a very good wage here, we are living the same lifestyles as people not working as he is taxed so much and I am no longer working. Any help would be really appreciated.

Also, I am absolutely terrified of spiders. Maybe I’ve watched too many films, but can your children play in the garden safely without being bitten my something venomous?
Hi Luis,
Welcome to the site. We were once in your position, but only 2 children, aged 6 and 4. I was 32, my wife 31, when I got the offer to move with my company to Houston, Galveston County. We wavered back and forth before finally deciding to make the move and had a wonderful experience, ended up staying there for a long time. (Actually most of the time spent in South Louisiana).

I couldn't believe the stories about the heat and humidity so actually went into the sauna of our gym and got the conditions up to 90F and 90% humidity and decided that there was no way folks could possibly to live in that heat. Turns out that in the southern States the outside is just an illusion brought on by lack of air conditioning and just about everywhere is air conditioned, except school buses.

What helped us make the decision to move were the following factors.
1. My wife wasn't working at the present time, and my salary would be double in the USA. Actual formula at the time was UK salary in £'s x 3 but in $'s. (exchange rate then was £1->$1.60 In your case I would be receiving $300k/year instead of £100k
2. The initial period was 2 years, option to stay on, and I was assured of a job on return the UK at the same grade as when I left.
3. The company paid for the move out and back plus a lump sum towards purchasing furniture and appliances in whatever rental home we ended up in.
4. I kept my UK vacation allowance of 25 days during the secondment. (US vacation allowances are horrible!)
5. US company had good health care benefits
6. US company provided tax pros to do our tax returns, in fact they insisted on it.

Of lesser importance was that the company also did the following
1. paid trip home for the family once a year as they believed it important to keep touch, particularly for the children, as the assignment was far from certain to be permanent
2. part of my salary was paid in the UK in order to maintain my company pension and UK NI contributions

In our case we had plenty of money, did lots of traveling, and when the assignment ended after 3 years the kids really did not want to come home so I took on another 2 year assignment, in Baton Rouge, at the end of which the company sponsored us for Green cards and I transferred over permanently to the US company. I was an expert in my field within the chemical industry hence the justification for the 2 visas and then the Green card.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Last edited by durham_lad; Aug 22nd 2019 at 4:10 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is it a better life?

Originally Posted by jjmb
What exactly is that job and how does that qualify for a company transfer? I thought a LI visa had to be done by a person who is the only person qualified to do the job and that the company has to show that they have looked for an American to fill the job.
There is no such requirement for the company to prove that they looked for an American to fill the job.

Whilst L-1 visas are dual intent, they are supposed to be temporary transfers and so don't disrupt the labor market in the way that permanent recruitment does.

That's the theory, anyway.

Hopefully Boris can pull the rabbit out of the hat before the 31st Oct.
Nope, not touching this one!
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe for the L1A (I am not sure) but my husband was initially brought over on a L1B and when they applied for a greencard for him, the position had to be advertised, several times before they could put in the petition. In the end he was changed to L1A as he had been in a managerial postion when in Scotland. Seems it was a common tactic at the time, to bring them over on L1b visas to tie them to the company for longer. Fortunately, a group of them looked into it and the company had to change the visas. Also this was over 10 yrs ago, so maybe the rules have changed
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jjmb
Maybe for the L1A (I am not sure) but my husband was initially brought over on a L1B and when they applied for a greencard for him, the position had to be advertised, several times before they could put in the petition.
You generally need to obtain PERM certification if you want a green card on an L-1B, yes, but there are no additional requirements to actually get the L-1B visa itself.

Fortunately, a group of them looked into it and the company had to change the visas. Also this was over 10 yrs ago, so maybe the rules have changed.
Alas not - I'm stuck in PERM hell right now.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I see what you mean. My terminology was incorrect. Good luck with the PERM.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

The the Op - basically, going by your posts, if your other half can arrange a better salary package, go for it. If you think what he earns in the UK isn't giving you a great life, and they won't double in Dollars what he earns today in Pounds, then stay in the UK. All you will do is trade weather and end-up remaining with the same standard of living. For others though, $140k a year jumping from say 70K GBP a year would be worth it. I went from 64K GBP to $120K in GA with two kids, thus far it has been great and the cost of living and weather are similar. Florida is also similar culturally - a real mix but tends to be highly concentrated - so the Pna Handle can be a bit, umm, rural Alabama, but some of the Cities are very progressive. You'll no doubt find it very odd, just different enough to be quirky to you, while everyone generally speaks what appears to be the same language and consumes the same types of foods and consumer goods.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
The the Op - basically, going by your posts, if your other half can arrange a better salary package, go for it. If you think what he earns in the UK isn't giving you a great life, and they won't double in Dollars what he earns today in Pounds, then stay in the UK. All you will do is trade weather and end-up remaining with the same standard of living. For others though, $140k a year jumping from say 70K GBP a year would be worth it. I went from 64K GBP to $120K in GA with two kids, thus far it has been great and the cost of living and weather are similar. Florida is also similar culturally - a real mix but tends to be highly concentrated - so the Pna Handle can be a bit, umm, rural Alabama, but some of the Cities are very progressive. You'll no doubt find it very odd, just different enough to be quirky to you, while everyone generally speaks what appears to be the same language and consumes the same types of foods and consumer goods.
I agree with most of this. Get a better deal, then absolutely go for it. You only live once, make the most. The kids will very easily acclimatize both to the weather and the culture. Our daughter was 11 when we moved here (actually Alabama). Today, speaking to her, you'd never know she was English. She's a 27 year-old Mom now and still lives in Alabama.

If the opportunity is there and you don't take it, you'll always be asking "what if?"

The part I disagree with is that the panhandle is like rural Alabama. We lived 11 years in central Alabama before moving here and it is a completely different vibe even though we're only about 30 minutes from Alabama.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I say go for it. I love living in the USA - specifically North Carolina. Bigger house, money goes further, and warmer weather.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 5:00 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

On less than $50k in Tampa bay, I consider life better now than in London 15 years ago on the equivalent amount. Got a house for a start. Had a bedsit back then.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Under £100k plus bonus!
To be honest that is a huge salary for Europe and you won't find many people earning that amount as pre sales, so you should be very grateful. People who have moved successfully and generally love the US will always say go for it (like every country), but look at your life and not theirs. The USA is not automatically the same USA everywhere and you wouldn't compare Germany with Bosnia Herzegovina. What are you really seeking and how easy would it be to get a new sales job in Naples with that salary if for example he loses the sales job? You would then have to find a new employer willing to sponsor you and there are millions of Americans who work in Sales and don't need a visa. Of course the sun always shines, but flooding in some parts can get worse and there are maybe other things to consider too (health care, working hours). Yes it can all work out, but do your own calculations. Sometimes spending €1000 on a 2 week holiday in Alicante can work wonders. Won't be much different than Naples and you have older people, a beach, a promenade, high buildings and even a starbucks.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

just to offer a balanced opinion ....I have been in Aventura (north Miami) over a year. we cope with climate no issues with that. no spider bites but plenty of mozzi bites during summer months (repellents help). Winter here was absolutely incredible and every weekend felt like being on holiday/vacation. As for schools, which was my biggest concern, one of my kids is in mainstream public schooling but honors classes and getting good grades and my other child is in a smaller Charter school doing advanced placement classes also doing well. We chose carefully where we wanted to live, and compared school and family safety. one thing I will say, is that schools here are HUGE, much bigger than UK schools and ratings are daunting and scared me so much, but from my own experience, I find the honors classes are more of a school within the school and not relevant to the overall rating.

Yes there are downsides, I absolutely hate the healthcare system here and other problems we have had with Florida's laws on non fault motor claims (following a car accident with underinsured driver) and I am freaked out by the daily headlines of shootings. Nowhere is perfect in the world we live in, however we are very happy here and trying to make our move permanent.

Last edited by karenkaren1; Aug 23rd 2019 at 10:28 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.