British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   best/worst aspects of living in U.S (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-worst-aspects-living-u-s-673870/)

Sally Redux Jun 25th 2010 4:04 pm

Re: best/worst aspects of living in U.S

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8655947)
Its' f***ing awful, and has the worst customer service of any store in the US hands down.

I hear they employ a lot of ex-cons, which I suppose is laudable, but a little training first would be good.

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8655947)
Fires actually being a weather condition, and f***ing scary

Oh yes the fires, really horrible :eek:

Ash UK/US Jun 25th 2010 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by AlienUk (Post 8657099)
You obviously don't have a Macy's card and coupons :rofl:

I consistently buy stuff from there at 75 -90% off....have found NO other shop to be as low priced!

I do not, I do have a Kohls card...with their discounts they are cheaper. For high end brand names, Younkers is cheaper than Macy's

Love when Penny's send me the $10 off coupons too.

AlienUk Jun 25th 2010 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US (Post 8657136)
I do not, I do have a Kohls card...with their discounts they are cheaper. For high end brand names, Younkers is cheaper than Macy's

Love when Penny's send me the $10 off coupons too.

If you had a MAcy's card, you'd get the $10 off $30 and the $20 off $50 discount cards...I don't like the Kohl's brands so can't say I find Kohls better!

We don't have a Younkers here...dammit!

Ash UK/US Jun 25th 2010 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by AlienUk (Post 8657140)
If you had a MAcy's card, you'd get the $10 off $30 and the $20 off $50 discount cards...I don't like the Kohl's brands so can't say I find Kohls better!

We don't have a Younkers here...dammit!

Younkers have great end of season clearance, I got a skirt that was ticketed (even though we all know they never sell at their ticketed price) at a $120 for $4

Ridski Jun 25th 2010 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 8655316)
When my Mrs worked for GlobalMegabankCoroporation* in New York employees who completed various 5-year increments of long service could select a present off a big list. Some of the things on there were actually worth having, but we noticed that one of the things you could get after 40 years of service was a treadmill - which is amusing on several levels.

*not their real name.

That's where I work. For my 5th anniversary I didn't get shit. I never even got mentioned in the internal email that congratulates everyone for surviving 5 years. My boss is a dick.

SDDep Jun 25th 2010 6:29 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8657119)
I hear they employ a lot of ex-cons, which I suppose is laudable, but a little training first would be good.

Oh yes the fires, really horrible :eek:

Oh what a crock...its a great store...and if ya dont like it, dont go there...besides...they have their own NASCAR car...:D

MandyNi Jun 25th 2010 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8656694)
I dont appreciate all the Home Depot bashing going on here...especially from all you girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SShhhhhhhh a wee confession - I love Home Depot, and Lowes and Ace! Sad but true lol!

SDDep Jun 25th 2010 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by MandyNi (Post 8657372)
SShhhhhhhh a wee confession - I love Home Depot, and Lowes and Ace! Sad but true lol!

Sorry for the sweeping generalization!!!! :D

N1cky Jun 25th 2010 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8657325)
Oh what a crock...its a great store...and if ya dont like it, dont go there...besides...they have their own NASCAR car...:D

I don't. I go to OSH now where they don't treat you like you are something they have trodden in.

MandyNi Jun 25th 2010 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8657377)
Sorry for the sweeping generalization!!!! :D

S'alright, meet you by the power tools :p:thumbup:

SDDep Jun 25th 2010 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8657380)
I don't. I go to OSH now where they don't treat you like you are something they have trodden in.

I am very sorry that you have had a bad experience at the HD...mine have only ever been positive...with very friendly staff...it probably depends where the store is etc...

N1cky Jun 25th 2010 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8657407)
I am very sorry that you have had a bad experience at the HD...mine have only ever been positive...with very friendly staff...it probably depends where the store is etc...

Why are you sorry? you sound like you work for them.

Not really sure what you mean by 'depends where the store is' unless its another San Diego is so much better than LA.... (you're probably right about that bit though)

SDDep Jun 25th 2010 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 8657414)
Why are you sorry? you sound like you work for them.

Not really sure what you mean by 'depends where the store is' unless its another San Diego is so much better than LA.... (you're probably right about that bit though)

I dont work for them dear... (although I would) ..i just love the store...its a real mans place..

Just a little sarcasm is all...I meant if its in a crap neighborhood kinda thing...

Ive never seen any parolees or convicted felons in my locals...and I've only ever had good experiences...

And of course I'm biased towards SD...the county areas anyway...and the city is ok...even if in permanent financial meltdown...

Sally Redux Jun 25th 2010 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8657434)
Just a little sarcasm is all...I meant if its in a crap neighborhood kinda thing...

You mean the one Nicky and I go to :frown:

It's a very basic hardware chain - can't see anything special about it.

Jerseygirl Jun 25th 2010 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8657444)
You mean the one Nicky and I go to :frown:

It's a very basic hardware chain - can't see anything special about it.

But you're not a fella Sally. My husband could spend hours looking around Home Depot and Lowes. I don't know what's so fascinating about screws, bolts etc. :blink::confused: